Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 06:15 AM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times

Advertisements

went to the grocery store yesterday and bought some beautiful eggplant, big portabella mushrooms, yams, leeks and kale along with a variety of indian spices. most of these I've never cooked before!

thank you all so much for suggestions. I'm, as we say in the south, fixin' to give 'em a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 06:26 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
I love the look of leeks - who wouldn't? - but have not really found anything interesting to do with them. I mean, you can use them like mild onions, but I would like to find a leek-centered recipe. I guess I need to go to Wales. I imagine something like a "leek split" with the leek split longitudinally and "something" (what?) resting in the middle.

The other vegetables that look fantastic in the store are those big daikon radishes, when they sell them with the tops on (you don't eat the tops). They just look like they are screaming "Hey! Nutrition here!" I do have some things I cook that make good use of fresh daikon.

My favorite way to make kale:

Wash, stem the kale and cut it up
Saute a chopped onion
Put the raw kale right in on top of the onion in the skillet (the water remaining on the kale will cook it), add some mirin (kind of a light rice syrup), soy sauce, and rice vinegar, cook frequently stirring till the kale is "al dente tender".

Someone was telling me you don't even need to stem the kale, and I may try a batch that way.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:27 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
As to terminology, you are from the South or Texas if you understand the following:

You hiked it up too high and now it's fixing to tump over.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:56 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Interesting thing about mushrooms, according to what I've read, is that, after the sun, they are the best natural source of vitamin D (as opposed to processed vitamin D added to milk or juice).
I use dried shiitake mushrooms ground up in the food processor to liven up the taste of green beans and all sorts of soups and so forth.

In fact, soups are a favorite way to eat vegetables. Squash soup topped with pumpkin seeds is a meal whereas a chunk of cooked squash seems like a side dish.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I love the look of leeks - who wouldn't? - but have not really found anything interesting to do with them. I mean, you can use them like mild onions, but I would like to find a leek-centered recipe. I guess I need to go to Wales. I imagine something like a "leek split" with the leek split longitudinally and "something" (what?) resting in the middle.

The other vegetables that look fantastic in the store are those big daikon radishes, when they sell them with the tops on (you don't eat the tops). They just look like they are screaming "Hey! Nutrition here!" I do have some things I cook that make good use of fresh daikon.

My favorite way to make kale:

Wash, stem the kale and cut it up
Saute a chopped onion
Put the raw kale right in on top of the onion in the skillet (the water remaining on the kale will cook it), add some mirin (kind of a light rice syrup), soy sauce, and rice vinegar, cook frequently stirring till the kale is "al dente tender".

Someone was telling me you don't even need to stem the kale, and I may try a batch that way.
This sounds wonderful.

I "massage" kale for a bit with olive oil and lemon juice. Then add grated parmesan and toasted pine nuts.

Quite delicious.

The massaging makes it easier to chew.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
The EASIEST vegetables to prepare are frozen peas. You don't even have to thaw them! Just heat them up and they're good.
I love thawed peas, diced celery, grated sharp cheddar cheese, and mayo.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortezC View Post
Acorn squash. Split in half, remove seeds, add a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of brown sugar, and bake at 400F for 30 minutes or so.

Root vegetables like turnips, beets, rutabaggers, sweet potatoes, daikon radish. Slice into 1/4" thick, toss in large bowl with a drizzle of olive oil and salt/pepper, and bake at 400F for 20 minutes or so.

Thick slice of tomato with a thin slice of mozzarella cheese on top, grill until cheese turns slightly brown and bubbly.

Give spinach a quick boil, compress to squeeze out water, serve with roasted sesame dressing (Kewpie brand at most Asian stores).

Most stores carry S&B curry blocks. Make with carrot, celery, potato, onion, turnip, and apple.
I cut zucchini into half inch or thicker coins or for the smaller ones, just split down the middle.

Top with parmesan and cook in 350 oven until tender and cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:12 AM

Hippie Farm Breakfast

Dice/slice/chunk up onions, potatoes, sweet potatoes, peppers, carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, ...

Put each in bag or bowl and mix with olive oil, salt and pepper,

Roast 425 on parchment paper.

Depending on how you cut them, the root vegetable will take about 30 minutes and the zucchini, mushrooms and peppers about 15, so add them about half way through.

Put them on a plate, top with a barely poached egg or two. Sprinkle with cheese (Guyere, parmesan, sharp white cheddar, ...) and broil until the cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.

Works any time, but particularly when having folks over for brunch who are sensitive to gluten.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:14 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Anyone who loves veggies should get an Indian vegetarian cookbook. See if your library has an Indian cookbook with a vegetable section even. They'll give you some great ideas.
I love cauliflower and potato curry. I make a healthier version with garden tomatoes and fat free yogurt.

We eat a lot of kale as well. I love it steamed and strir fried with some olive oil and garlic.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:33 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
I usually use leeks in soup or quiche.

For vegetarian dishes, I have Deborah Madison vegetarian cookbook, she has lots of creative dishes, she was a veg chef of the famous Chez Panisse restaurant in Berkeley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink