Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2015, 11:13 AM

50,334 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
I suppose some of that may be what people are just used to - frankly, I prefer mac and cheese from a box myself. As does my son - he knows what certain things taste like, what he likes, and expect it to be that way forever and ever and ever, Amen. Keep in mind, though, that we're picky eaters - when we see something, we expect it to taste a certain way that we're used to. I do cook a lot of different things, but they're usually the same way I've had them before or close to it - or something I'm at least somewhat familiar with and like. I don't do things that I haven't EVER tried before. I will admit, though, to having food issues (there's a real understatement) so I'm DEFINITELY not the norm.

I also don't really experiment with food - I'm not the person to ask if I want to try a new cuisine. Or even restaurant, depending on the type of food that's served. The son is a bit more open than I am, although, the last time I took him to a steak house for his going away dinner before starting Navy basic training, he ordered chicken tenders. Yes, chicken tenders. At a steakhouse. He said no one could make a steak like my husband could, so he didn't want to bother so he'd have something he knew they "couldn't screw up." (His words - I swear I don't know where he gets it from! )
To each, his own.
It probably depends upon age. I don't even know if mac and cheese came in a box when I was a kid, but I don't remember convenience foods of any kind. We kids only had mac and cheese from scratch, and it was the main course, not a side dish. It depends on what is familiar to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 12:28 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,450,103 times
momtothree, that story made me sad. I guess it's all about people's priorities...

gentlearts, excellent point! It very well may have to do with age - I find that the older I get, the more intractable I get, as does my husband, especially when it comes to food. And by the way, get off my lawn, you whippersnappers.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:08 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Question *

Can any1 tell me please if I can get these ingredients seperatly to make my own iced tea??

I used to LOVE lipton until they added Maltodextrin and I would love making my own..... Heres what I would need.. (This is what Lipton had BEFORE maltodextrin was added)

Sugar,citric acid,instant tea,silicon dioxide,natural lemon flavor,red#40 (colour)

I assume the natural lemon flavour could be gotton from LEMON JUICE??

I dont know about the instant tea,citric acid,red#40 and silicon dioxide though...... (Where I would get those)

Old 07-09-2015, 06:14 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Why wouldn't you just make iced tea out of tea bags and water (and lemon and maybe sugar)? Trying to imitate something that came from a factory is weird.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
To each, his own.
It probably depends upon age. I don't even know if mac and cheese came in a box when I was a kid, but I don't remember convenience foods of any kind. We kids only had mac and cheese from scratch, and it was the main course, not a side dish. It depends on what is familiar to you.
Us too and I still pretty much stick with mac and cheese from scratch. As a kid the closest thing to processed foods probably was Campbells soups. By the time I was a young wife TV dinners were making their entrance into the market. We rarely had them. Occassionly I would buy the little frozen pot pies for daughter and I when spoiled brat was working evenings at the newspaper.

It does depend on the era people were raised in. The slightly younger people can't imagine living without processed foods, the same as we can not imagine living without electricity or running water like many of our parents or grandparents did.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Why wouldn't you just make iced tea out of tea bags and water (and lemon and maybe sugar)? Trying to imitate something that came from a factory is weird.
Well its because its what I loved...........

Making it that way WILL NOT TASTE GOOD!! (The way you suggested)

Thank you fleetiebelle

Old 07-10-2015, 08:41 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
It's probably easier to retrain your palate to enjoy new foods than to expect nothing to ever change just for you.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:03 PM

The problem is I dont like any of this stuff now... LOW SODIUM,LOW SUGAR..... Skim milk....... Tastes horrible (If it has any flavour @ all) ........ I want the GOOD things I remember in the early 2000s and earlier

Alex Jones was right several years ago when he said they were gonna start attacking food in this country ...... THEY SURE HAVE!!!

Old 07-10-2015, 09:20 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
To each, his own.
Same here. I didn't eat boxed macaroni and cheese until I was in my 30s. I must say, I don't like the stuff. Mac and cheese was always a main course in our house, too. And I don't want macaroni and cheese with barbecue.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:51 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Can any1 tell me please if I can get these ingredients seperatly to make my own iced tea??

I used to LOVE lipton until they added Maltodextrin and I would love making my own..... Heres what I would need.. (This is what Lipton had BEFORE maltodextrin was added)

Sugar,citric acid,instant tea,silicon dioxide,natural lemon flavor,red#40 (colour)

I assume the natural lemon flavour could be gotton from LEMON JUICE??

I dont know about the instant tea,citric acid,red#40 and silicon dioxide though...... (Where I would get those)
Sugar - sugar
citric acid - use lemon or Ball 7.5 Oz Citric Acid (1440055000) - Mixes & Pectin - Ace Hardware
instant tea - tea powder
silicon dioxide - anticaking agent There'll be some in the powdered tea.
natural lemon flavor - Tell me I don't have to explain that.
red#40 - your basic red food coloring

Buy a jar of plain, unsweetened instant iced tea powder. You might be able to find unsweetened with citric acid and lemon. I don't know if anyone makes that any more. Add sugar and/or lemon to taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink