Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2015, 12:34 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Thank you for that......... I think I have discovered how to get it exactly like I used to love it..... The Cheese in "Velvetta shells and cheese dinner (ORIGINAL)" is the original velvetta cheese! (With reg milk)

I havent tried it yet but next time I have it,I sure will
I too seem to have trouble making grilled cheese sandwiches that taste like the cheap ones we had at the Woolworh stores growing up, or some of the fast food places today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 09:27 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I too seem to have trouble making grilled cheese sandwiches that taste like the cheap ones we had at the Woolworh stores growing up, or some of the fast food places today.
I can't even remember what mom used for grilled cheese sandwiches. Cooper sharp? It looked like American cheese squares.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:20 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,832,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
Ya I hear ya!!!

Old 07-27-2015, 09:32 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,451,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Ya I hear ya!!!

I have done extensive research on this phenomenon, using tried and true scientific methods that consisted of eating out and ordering a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches, and I think I've been able to pinpoint the differences and why I, personally, can't duplicate the flavor/texture at home.

1. Bread. I can't find the right texture white bread at the store. It's not the texas toast sized pieces, what I'm looking for is plain white bread, that looks like a slice of Butternut, but there's something different about the texture you would get in a diner. The store brand that is usually on sale for $.99 is the closest, but it's still not the same.

2. Cheese. I can't quite get the same flavor as the diners, etc. do - Kraft is close, but not perfect. I've tried cheaper brands, however, they have this ugly tendency to not melt, thereby making the whole project moot. And a real buzzkill. Which sucks when you're hungry.

3. Butter. I use only real butter to do the outsides of the bread, although I've tried it with margarine and other butter substitutes, but they don't have the same flavor either. The diners etc., must have some super secret purveyor of buttery goodness for grilled cheese that I'm unaware of or can't duplicate. I've SEEN it - it looks like clarified butter, but I can't imagine the diner at the dock in Buckhorn Lake, Kentucky using clarified butter for a grilled cheese (the grill is right next to the cooler with the bait - clarified butter is probably not an option) - and that was the best grilled cheese I have ever, ever had which is why I remember it 40 years later. This actually reminds me a lot of the great popcorn experiment we did here back when my son was small. We inherited a popcorn maker - the kind you'd find in a theater - and tried every trick in the book to make popcorn that tasted like movie popcorn. We did not know that the secret was in the salt - YOU MUST USE Flavacol. It's in the green box on the right. Anyway, I digress.

4. Preparation Surface. I use a frying pan or electric skillet, and use low heat. That makes it golden brown and melty. But it isn't quite the same - I think what I lack is a flat top grill. A surface that I have been trying to convince the husband has the power to make everything cooked on it better and that we really, really need one, and since he IS a remodeling contractor, he could probably redo our kitchen without TOO much trouble, and never mind that we rent but the landlady will understand, but so far that's a No Go, unfortunately.

5. My mom or the short order diner dude to make it for me. You might laugh at my inherent laziness (go ahead, all my friends, family, and neighbors do!) but I'm serious. I have my mom's electric skillet, use the same bread, same butter, same cheese, same temp, same time, etc. - and it only tastes the way my mom made it when my mom actually MAKES it. So I suppose if I want to have regular grilled cheese sandwiches that I truly love, I had better either move to the dock at Buckhorn Lake State Park in Kentucy, or back with my mother. Neither of whom would be particularly THRILLED about it at this point, but hey - you can't have everything.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:30 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,183,971 times
Use melted butter to brush your bread instead of spreading butter or margarine on it for your grilled cheese see if that makes a difference. My family says it does.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:59 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,606,489 times
According to this lady Why You Should Fry Your Grilled Cheese in Mayonnaise! | The Kitchn you should fry your grilled cheese in mayonnaise. This sounds weird to me, but it is sufficiently fatty. Has anyone tried it?

Old 07-27-2015, 08:09 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
According to this lady Why You Should Fry Your Grilled Cheese in Mayonnaise! | The Kitchn you should fry your grilled cheese in mayonnaise. This sounds weird to me, but it is sufficiently fatty. Has anyone tried it?
Yup. It was recommended on another thread here and I tried it. It didn't taste mayo-y, if that's what you're afraid of. It was delicious.

ETA: Here's the thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/food-...ed-cheese.html The mayo talk starts on page 3.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:40 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,816,782 times
Another grilled cheese recipe that my kids like is to add 1/8 cup of locatelli/parm to 1/4 cup of butter. Spread it on one side on two slices of bread, put one slice buttered side down in a hot pan. Put on slices of cheeses, then the second slice on top buttered side up. Cook till browned then flip. Repeat.

The Sizzler cheesy toast copycat recipe inspired this recipe.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:49 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Another grilled cheese recipe that my kids like is to add 1/8 cup of locatelli/parm to 1/4 cup of butter. Spread it on one side on two slices of bread, put one slice buttered side down in a hot pan. Put on slices of cheeses, then the second slice on top buttered side up. Cook till browned then flip. Repeat.
So the cheese on the outside gets crispy, right? I've done that. (Of course I have. I love cheese.) It can also be done with an omelet... "so I've been told."

Old 07-27-2015, 09:17 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,606,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Yup. It was recommended on another thread here and I tried it. It didn't taste mayo-y, if that's what you're afraid of. It was delicious.

ETA: Here's the thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/food-...ed-cheese.html The mayo talk starts on page 3.
Ok I'm going to give it a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink