Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 11:20 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,120,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
When we lived in Colorado, we canned at least a hundred pounds per year of Coho Salmon. They're no true salmon, but close enough. I eat salmon 5-8 times or so every week with only good results, smoked, canned, fresh, and home-cured with salt and sugar.

The mercury levels are quite low. Generally, the longer-lived and bottom feeders carry the most mercury.

It's good for you and it tastes so good.
....but Coho salmon are in the salmon family, and bottom feeding fish aren't high in mercury content - pelagic fish, such as tuna and swordfish, are higher in mercury content. Pelagic fish are fish that must swim through the water constantly throughout their entire lives in order to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 11:40 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,596,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
....but Coho salmon are in the salmon family, and bottom feeding fish aren't high in mercury content - pelagic fish, such as tuna and swordfish, are higher in mercury content. Pelagic fish are fish that must swim through the water constantly throughout their entire lives in order to live.
It's a bit more involved. Sardines, I must mention, fit your definition of pelagic fish and are very low in mercury.

Pelagic fish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oceanographers Examine Mercury Levels Of Pelagic Fish In Hawaii

Old 03-28-2011, 11:49 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,425,556 times
I'm concerned that the radiation in Japan is going to reach the ocean, and then the fish will start to look weird, or that it will reach the U.S coast and another situation like the oil disaster will occur. Tsunami warnings are happening on the daily in Japan, again, and it's bound to move the ocean enough to send some of that radiation over here.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:23 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
Solution...eat beef from Montana! We also raise salmon in fisheries, plenty safe from radiation from Japan. Pork from Iowa.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:21 AM

3,037 posts, read 5,928,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
I'm concerned that the radiation in Japan is going to reach the ocean, and then the fish will start to look weird, or that it will reach the U.S coast and another situation like the oil disaster will occur. Tsunami warnings are happening on the daily in Japan, again, and it's bound to move the ocean enough to send some of that radiation over here.

I'd draw the line at something like this on the dinner table:

However, as a decorating item, it may have potential..

Old 03-31-2011, 01:00 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post

I can say with some authority, NO!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-01-2011, 04:14 PM

38,870 posts, read 22,857,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Maybe that's why my milk glows in the dark. (Just kidding!)

Old 04-02-2011, 12:59 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,425,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Solution...eat beef from Montana! We also raise salmon in fisheries, plenty safe from radiation from Japan. Pork from Iowa.
Cool. It's good that we still have that option, just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
I'd draw the line at something like this on the dinner table:

That looks like a crocodile+shark+something else. I know I wouldn't eat that, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I can say with some authority, NO!!!!!!!!!
It's weird how there are croc statues in New York now coming out of the manholes on the street. They look surprisingly real, too. I think they are promoting some kind of movie. It is weird decoration, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
Lol. (This is NASA, we need your address sir/ ma'am.)

Old 04-03-2011, 01:53 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
If its godd give us three thumbs up.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:26 PM

52,685 posts, read 47,940,162 times
Hi, peeps! Life around Austin is going great during my R&R. I just learned, however, that Katz's Deli in Austin closed back in January after 3 decades. That means I'll have to go to another place for lunch tomorrow. Oh, well......

Otherwise, things are fine in my travels. There's been some really good food had already, with much more to come. You'll see some posts with a few of these places, because I just might give you folks some ideas.

Have a nice evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink