Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2015, 03:39 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times

Advertisements

Menu is tentatively:

Turkey
Stuffing (seasoned bread cubes, celery, onion)
Mashed potatoes
Gravy
Green beans
Rolls, maybe
Chopped salad
Cranberry sauce (homemade)
Pumpkin pie

There will be 4 of us in Delaware, though two are so old, they only eat half as much as a normal person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 03:46 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quite a few of us will be eating a menu consisting of traditional, Cajun, and Hispanic dishes. I'll be preparing Escalloped Oysters, something we eat for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:54 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
6 adults and an infant:My husband and myself, our college aged son, our daughter and SIL (and grandson- squee!) and a guest.

We'll drive to our daughter's home in Wyoming on Thursday then celebrate on Friday. Dinner menu not yet finalized - probably just the usual (turkey, stuffing, cranberries, mashed potatoes etc). It's what everyone expects and looks forward to.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:26 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Right now it looks like eight in Ohio.

I am still fooling with this menu - but we have three main dishes because we like LOTS of left overs and we have several different dietary needs to fulfill - Cider baked salmon, Crock Pot Tofurky with a cranberry onion glaze. Butternut Squash Lasagna with a creamy sage infused sauce.

Homemade herb stuffing. Sweet Potato Casserole. Mashed Potatoes (actually I am looking for a recipe that I can prepare in advance with cream cheese in it - saw it some where) Green Bean Casserole, Roasted fresh Brussels Sprouts. Home Made Cranberry sauce. And canned cranberry sauce for my husband.

Wild mushroom gravy.

Some kind of green salad. Martha Stewarts Endive, pear, and blue cheese is a fave.

Apple Pie with a cheddar crumb topping. Pumpkin Pie. And I might make a pecan pie.

Whipped Cream.

NK - You gave me a Grits Souffle recipe last year and it was unintentionally erased from my files. Could you pass it on once more? It was a big hit last year! I made it for TWO holidays!

Also, any Southern gals have a lard free biscuit recipe that you swear by, and even a NYer can bake? I spent a couple of weeks in Charlotte NC and I need some biscuits.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:27 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Quite a few of us will be eating a menu consisting of traditional, Cajun, and Hispanic dishes. I'll be preparing Escalloped Oysters, something we eat for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.
Could you give me that Escalloped Oyster recipe? I'd be much obliged.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:30 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Me & Mr. CSD whatever we decide to put together that day or pick off the menu if we decide to go out.
We might meet my Mother and Brother at Golden Corral but that will be a last minute decision so it is a good thing we are less than an hour to drive to meet them.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:43 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Could you give me that Escalloped Oyster recipe? I'd be much obliged.
Here's the recipe I posted in the recipe forum a while back...

Scalloped (Escalloped) Oysters

Old 11-22-2015, 05:02 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times
8, 10, 12+ maybe, just depends who needs a place to go, I live in a ski resort area in Colorado and most everyone works on holidays.

Roasted Turkey
Apple Cider Braised Turkey Legs
Caramelized Onion and mushroom dressing
Mashed potatoes
Dijon glazed carrots
Broiled green beans with crispy shallots
Roasted brussels sprouts with pancetta
Homemade cranberry sauce & Gravy

Friends are bringing
Pumpkin pie
Pecan Praline bread pudding
Homemade Parkerhouse rolls
and who knows what else.

Easy menu, no stress, folks will stop by when they get off work, have a plate, watch the game, celebrate.

Last edited by Dogmama50; 11-22-2015 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: State

Old 11-22-2015, 06:01 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Roast Chicken (don't like turkey)
Sweet potato bake
Green bean casserole
Cranberry sauce
Gorgonzola cheese plate w/fig jam
Apple pie
Lots of coffee

Just me in VA and LOTS of leftovers!

Old 11-22-2015, 06:02 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

NK - You gave me a Grits Souffle recipe last year and it was unintentionally erased from my files. Could you pass it on once more? It was a big hit last year! I made it for TWO holidays!
Hi Sheena, I'm not sure if this is the one I gave you as I just kind of wing it myself after so many years making it. What I do remember is that it doesn't refrigerate well prior to cooking but it is wonderful the next morning for breakfast.

Sometimes I cook the grits in chicken broth and sometimes water with bullion cube. My daughter likes to use stone ground grits. Just remember NOT to get instant grits but quick cooking (5 minutes) works fine.
If you want to change this to a souffle simply separate the eggs and fold in the beaten whites. Any color cheddar cheese works and sometimes I put cayenne or shake of Lea and Perrins. sometimes I put garlic and sometimes not. Depending on mood on that day. And I remember it sometimes cooks longer to get a clean knife thru it which is how I like it. Sorry to be so vague.

Hope this works out for you and yours.

Baked Garlic Cheese Grits Recipe : Paula Deen : Food Network
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink