Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 09:47 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times

Advertisements

Those really repel me, peeled hardboiled eggs where I don't know when/how long ago they were peeled.

Not to mention they're so easy to make that the pre-peeled are a huge waste of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 09:49 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I have been making hard boiled eggs for years. Sometimes the shell comes right off and sometimes I lose half the egg before I'm done peeling it. Is there a sure fire way to peel and egg?

Thanks
Unlike most people, I prefer to peel eggs when they are still hot. I find that it works better for me. The most important thing is to get under the membrane, which is more difficult with fresher eggs (the membrane is no as pronounced). Many people advocate soaking the eggs in cold water, but I find peeling them hot is better. YMMV

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-07-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Unlike most people, I prefer to peel eggs when they are still hot. I find that it works better for me. The most important thing is to get under the membrane, which is more difficult with fresher eggs (the membrane is no as pronounced). Many people advocate soaking the eggs in cold water, but I find peeling them hot is better. YMMV

20yrsinBranson
I don't soak them in ice water to make them easier to peel, but to stop the cooking so I don't get overcooked yolks. I can't speak for anybody else though, of course.

I've peeled them hot before with no peeling problems, as you say.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:58 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I don't soak them in ice water to make them easier to peel, but to stop the cooking so I don't get overcooked yolks. I can't speak for anybody else though, of course.

I've peeled them hot before with no peeling problems, as you say.
I like everything overcooked. I boil my eggs HARD for 15 minutes. Yeah, the yolks are usually a little green, but I don't care. So stopping the cooking is not something that is a concern to me.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-07-2009, 10:31 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,113,541 times
branson, you're yolks are a little green because of the boiling..it causes the iron and sulfur in the yolk and white to combine..resulting in the green. If you were to take the pot off as soon as it comes to a boil..and cover it tight, then start your timer for 15 minutes, your eggs will be done, and your yolk won't be green.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:23 AM

3,273 posts, read 2,969,303 times
I hate to make hard boiled eggs because they never come out exactly the same each time I make them. Maybe I get mixed up because I do it so seldom.
The last time I made them, I ended up throwing the 6 away, the yolk was not done. So, I did another 6 but left them in for 20 minutes and then added an extra 5 mins! They came out ok, and no green around the yolk.

My mother always tapped them on the counter and then rolled them before peeling. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. She also used to tell me to peel them under running water.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:34 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Soaking in ice water comes AFTER the peeling - they're peeled hot. The soaking in ice water is to draw out the sulphur so you don't have the sulphur taste. Seems to work, but, then, I've only tried it the once (upthread).

Old 03-07-2009, 12:58 PM

Huh, well as I've said I prefer to peel my eggs right before eating, I don't want them getting all watery and soggy by soaking and then storing. Yuck.

I'll try your trick if I'm ever making a batch of hardboiled eggs I intend to peel all of right away for deviled eggs for a party or something.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:07 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
As you will - after all, we're just sharing ideas here.

I peeled the eggs a couple of days ago. There are two still in the fridge (I was running the time test). Just for you, I'm testing one right now. Nope, not watery, not soggy. Pretty darned nummy, in fact!

Old 03-07-2009, 02:20 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I have been making hard boiled eggs for years. Sometimes the shell comes right off and sometimes I lose half the egg before I'm done peeling it. Is there a sure fire way to peel and egg?

Thanks
YES, THERE IS A SURE FIRE WAY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I 've found a way to boil fresh eggs and have almost all peel well. I put the cold eggs into boiling water. I'm at 5500' so I give them about twelve minute for a dozen. An average of two per dozen crack, so salt the water very heavily. In salted water the whites will coaguate and seal the egg even with a broken shell. The cracked eggs may look a little funny after being peeled, but no harm is done to the taste. Just remember, lots of salt.
Quote:
I couldn't edit this, so I need to say that I know how to spell coagulate.
Quote:
Two more points

The salt does raise the boiling point of water, so you may need to adjust times. I was assuming that everyone chills eggs in ice water aferwards, but if you don't, you need to start.
The reason we chill them in ice water is that we wish to produce a pleasant looking egg. Everything I've posted here has that as its goal.
we know that it's ideal to use stale eggs, but that's not always possible.
For several years I was getting fresh eggs from a home operation with about forty chickens, so my eggs were incredibly fresh. Using my method, I never had junky eggs, but if you stray from it you will. For example, if you leave the eggs in a refrigerator or spring box overnight they won't peel right. Peeling them and leaving them in cool water, well, hello food poisoning. The grocery store certainly does not leave prepeeled eggs in water.

My particular peeling method is unimportant, but I'll describe it anyway. Take an egg and rap it on a hard surface at both ends. Then, rap it a bit along the sides. You can then pull the shell off in big pieces with noo trouble. This assumes that you have not overcooked your egg. An overcooked rubbery egg will frequently split its white when you crack the shell. If you're wondering what an overcooked egg is like, just remember the rubbery deviled eggs you've had. Albertson's packages rubber deviled eggs. If you want to really know, try one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink