Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2009, 06:40 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,713,101 times

Advertisements

Dinner plan A never came about. Had some ham rolls with swiss cheese and jalapeno peppers. And coleslaw for a veggie.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:42 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,494,385 times
Spaghetti.....while we watch the snow come down....We are supposedly in for 1-2 feet by Sat. afternoon.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:51 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,217,238 times
Hey all dinner was great. I marinated Salmon in 1/4 cup soysauce, 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar with 4 cloves of garlic mashed in it. Then I baked it at 400 for 20 minutes.

Can you say divine. It turned out so sweet and tasty. Yummy!!!!

Hope everyone has a great evening. I am off to drink a beer and catch up on missed tv shows.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:51 PM

52,347 posts, read 52,808,634 times
Nothing too fancy tonight. Roated Veggies and pork chops.

In my best Peter Brady voice "Pork chops and applesauce"

Old 04-17-2009, 06:52 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,746,535 times
Left over Jumbalaya and rice.

Strawberry shortcake for dessert.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:58 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,344,875 times
Wow, Cyn's got a b-day tomorrow? We'll have to fete her properly! And Cyn, I do hope that you did as you told Amber you would and got your sore wing to the doctor today - sending you healing thoughts for a fast recovery. And maybe your husband ought to take over the dog-walking duties for a bit.

We had a wonderful comfort-food supper tonight, just perfect for the end of another long week. Spouse used the mashed potatoes left over from Wednesday to make a lovely great pot of mashed potato soup, which instantly transports me back about four decades to my mom's kitchen table with the first spoonful. He has another cold, poor fellow, so the soup was a good choice all round.

And then the main course, which was ... oh, my goodness, it was so incredibly good. As full as I am right now, I'm still salivating at the thought of it. The spouse took a couple of boneless skinless chicken breasts and cut them into long strips, about an inch or an inch and a half thick. He dredged them in flour, then in an egg/milk mixture, then in cornmeal, and fried them in our big old cast iron skillet. When they were about 3/4 of the way done, he drizzled his home-made BBQ sauce, which is a thick and glorious sweet-spicy combination, all over the golden-brown strips of chicken, just tossed them to coat all sides, and put the whole pan in a 300 degree oven for about 20 minutes or so.

Oh my dear goodness, but that was good!! The BBQ sauce was just lightly caramelized onto the cornmeal breading, the chicken itself was tender and moist, and I am not ashamed to admit that we ate every single last scrap in the pan.

That would be enough to more than content us most nights, but it so happens that today I got a certain box I've been waiting for.

The convention that we work at every year can be a financial hardship for some folks who live at a distance to attend, and so a group of very dedicated people got together and organized an online fundraising auction to help subsidize economically challenged convention members. Lovely thing to do, and they raised enough to send nine people to this year's convention.

So one of the auction lots was a little something called "Brownies of Doom." The person who put them up for bid developed the recipe herself, and they feature - are you ready for this? - 36 ounces of premium Ghirardelli extra-dark chocolate, 24 ounces of premium Ghirardelli white chocolate, about a third of a bottle of Cointreau, a pound of butter, and premium orange marmalade. The baker advises recipients that if they eat more than one of these things in a single evening, they will not be able to sleep.

You can probably see where this is leading, can't you? There were a total of six lots of brownies up for bid: three with the Cointreau and three with Creme de Menthe. I have a particular fondness for the combination of orange flavoring with dark chocolate, so I bid on one of the Cointreau lots. And won it. And the styrofoam box, carefully packed with padding and freezer packs, arrived this afternoon.

So, after we finished the lovely mashed potato soup and the incredible fried/BBQ chicken strips, we HAD to get out the Brownies of Doom to see if they were really worth the price I paid for them (which I am not going to divulge - but it was in a very good cause).

And I can unequivocally affirm that those Brownies of Doom are both well worth the price and TOTALLY accurately named.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:10 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,734,654 times
As I'm writing this, you're all fast asleep up there. And I've got ribs slow-cooking in the oven right now, filling the house with a lovely aroma. I made my own barbeque sauce and while I was googling recipes, as I usually do, I came across one that had slices of tart apples and onion in amongst the ribs. So I'm trying that this time. I'll make some roasted potatoes and a simple coleslaw to go with the ribs.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:19 AM

48,214 posts, read 22,037,561 times
Thumbs up I knew I smelled something cookin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
As I'm writing this, you're all fast asleep up there. And I've got ribs slow-cooking in the oven right now, filling the house with a lovely aroma. I made my own barbeque sauce and while I was googling recipes, as I usually do, I came across one that had slices of tart apples and onion in amongst the ribs. So I'm trying that this time. I'll make some roasted potatoes and a simple coleslaw to go with the ribs.
I think the smell of those ribs woke me up!

Happy Birthday Cyn.....This is your day.....Queen For A Day! Enjoy and Indulge yourself. You deserve it.

Last edited by elston; 04-18-2009 at 04:54 AM..

Old 04-18-2009, 04:52 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,871,060 times
Good Morning All and

Happy Birthday Cyn!!!!!!!

Old 04-18-2009, 05:54 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,339,241 times
Thank you so much elston and Lacey and everyone else who wished me a Happy Birthday. No, I decided since there was no swelling or bruising that I'd wait to go to the Dr. and be sure it was really necessary. I'm still fighting with my insurance over my last emergency!! My arm seems to be a bit better this morning..could be wishful thinking. Anyhow, DH is taking me to Myrtle Beach for lunch today. Have never been there so I am looking forward to it. Besides all I have to do it ride and enjoy!! Everyone have a wonderful day and I'll talk to everyone when I get back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink