Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 06:48 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,597 times

Advertisements

We just had pasta. I roasted some veggies - zucchini, red & yellow peppers, roma tomatoes, onion and garlic in olive oil til just done. Splashed in some white wine, carefully mixed everything through. Then I tossed in some bowtie pasta, added some more olive oil, s&p and chopped fresh basil. Hubby grated some parmesan on his. I topped mine with some little bits of goat's cheese.

Got enough for lunch at work tomorrow too.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:53 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Good morning all.

Nik- How is the packing coming? It's amazing how much "stuff" we can accumulate. You are smart to start early.

Elston- You must be very excited about your upcoming trip. My old neighbor is from Japan and the last time she went she brought home bean curd cookies(?). I'm not sure if that is what they were called but I enjoyed them very much.

Looks like another hot and sunny day today. Woo hoo. Well DH and I have been dieting for 10 weeks today. We both made it to our goal weights so now it's time to add a little more food. DH says he misses some of my chunkies, lol. I don't ha, ha.

Dinner tonight is left of Flank steak for my DH and I have no idea what I will have. I'll check back later. Have a great day.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:12 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times
Elston, have a great trip!!!

The party was a huge success. Here was the menu:

Honeybaked Ham (I use to purchase a pre-cooked spirally sliced ham and glaze it myself with a blow torch. I was always afraid that I would burn down the garage doing so!)

Honeybaked and Smoked Turkey Breast

The most amazing bread from a local Vietnamese bakery. He bakes about 5000 loaves of bread a day. He sells them to local grocery stores and even the fancy schmancy restaurants near me. I thought about selling the leftover bread to them

Homemade pimento cheese spread

Homemade chopped liver (my inner Chongstein coming out - thanks Midwest!)

Sesame cold noodles made with organic spelt flour. I have a friend that has allergies to regular flour. I should have made more as it all disappeared!

Assorted Wisconsin cheeses (yes, in honor of you Midwest!)

These enormous strawberries. I wonder if any or left, I never got one yesterday

Chocolate pudding cake. I will post the recipe per Kats request under the recipe thread. It is such an easy cake as it involves cake mix. It's practically fool proof and everyone loves it!

Rice Crispy Treats. I had one for breakfast

Chocolate chip cookies from my sister. I at least got the last half cookie before the party ended.

And matzo toffee ended the menu.

Mimosas were flowing! It is always wonderful to have everyone drop in and share in fellowship. Just when I thought that the party was over around 5 p.m., we had one last wave. A CD friend that I never met arrived. Where were the rest of you?!? The next door neighbor dropped in again and a former neighbor too.

Many of the "regulars" invited friends/family members too. I think that made it even more special as they wanted to share the experience with them and I was honored that they would attend.

Not everyone had met Monty the dog, our "new addition" to the family. He had not been adopted as of last year's party. He was a wonderful host and greeted everyone. He was tired last night for sure!

I have to regroup and come back to the real world and think about dinner again! Here's to having a great week!

P.S. Thank you for everyone's well wishes for the party. It kept me going when I was getting tired during the prep!

Old 04-27-2009, 07:27 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Being the beef is already cook I think we are having beef stroganoff. If we don't have noodles we'll use rice. Plenty of time to work out details on veggies.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:33 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,291,389 times
George - your party sounds simply divine!!!!! I am so glad it went so well for you and your guests! I think it is safe to say that you are in that "Host with the Most" category of special folks!! (Hey, they forgot to pick me up or I woulda been there! Thats my story and I'm stickin to it!)

Thanks - I will check for the cake recipe now - Please don't forget the pimento cheese one too?

Oh yeah - Dinner will be this canyon casserole recipe I think. If I don't have all the ingredients, I am thinking about putting a couple of turkey legs in the crock pot - Hmmmmm - Yep, I think the turkey legs just won - and I will fix some rice-a roni type rice and some veggies!

Old 04-27-2009, 07:43 AM

172 posts, read 535,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
Emma, do you make your own tomatillo salsa?
yes..it's so easy to do and you can control all the goodness that goes in there

Peel, rinse and quarter the tomatillo's ...sautee them in a pan until tender..throw in food processor with garlic, lime juice, cilantro, cumin, salt and pepper..

place in fridge..voila..you're done!

I almost never measure when it comes to stuff like this...I've done it so many times I just eyeball it..

oh one more thing I do...sometimes I buy a poblano pepper..roast it..then cut it up and add it to the salsa..adds a nice smokey flavor to it

Old 04-27-2009, 07:45 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Morning morning morning (yech.. what's so good about Monday morning?)

Ham fried rice didn't happen yesterday because I forgot about the rack of beef ribs I bought at DH's request. Slow-roasted those in the oven. They were pretty good. I'm not really that much of a rib person, I guess. Did them with a dry rub and then put some bottled bbq sauce on during cooking.

Have most of my veggies washed and some chopped for the fried rice. Shouldn't be too much work throwing it all together for a Monday night special.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:09 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times
Forgot about tonight-it will be leftover chicken stew and dumplings.

George what a feast!! And you are THE HOST!!!

Old 04-27-2009, 08:10 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,844 times
I think we'll use the leftover shredded chicken and top salads with it for tonight's dinner. I need something light and healthy!!

Old 04-27-2009, 08:25 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
Just took out chicken tenders--not sure what I'm going to do with them yet....hmmmmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink