Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2009, 08:39 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,005,798 times

Advertisements

Tonight is left overs so I can get some school work done. My DH will have his choice of the cod and vegetables from Sunday night or the roast chicken and beets from last night. I'm having the chicken.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:43 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,730,143 times
Today's my baby girl's 21st birthday (how time flies!) so we're all going out to a nice Italian restaurant for dinner.

For dessert, it'll be birthday cake, of course. I just took it out of the oven to let it cool. Her favourite: Chocolate Chip Cake. We'll come back home after dinner to have it.

Funny how kids so look forward to turning 21 but it makes their parents a bit sad. I know I am. Where have all these years gone? At least I don't feel old.

Last edited by Vichel; 09-01-2009 at 08:54 PM..

Old 09-02-2009, 05:04 AM

48,142 posts, read 22,010,341 times
For Supper tonight.....I have just one nice sweet red pepper...some left over rice and a small amount of defrosted ground beef (had hamburgers last night)....I believe I will make a stuffed pepper and have mashed potato with it....a fav. of mine (my DP really isnt too crazy about it and since he's away.....good time to indulge myself.)

"The plot thickens": I saw I had two little egg plants out in the garden .... its getting cold here and there is no way they have time to get much bigger....so I picked then and scooped then out and threw the scoopings in with the hamburg and onions I have browing in the pan....and put lemon juice on the shells.....when it comes time to stuff the pepper....will also stuff the little egg plant...using a Turkish spice mix! I am looking forward to this!

Last edited by elston; 09-02-2009 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: found the egg plants

Old 09-02-2009, 06:23 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,306,765 times
last night was a what ever night so i had mac & cheese with hotdogs in it.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:32 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
We made the coq au vin (m-i-l + f-i-l + me) for my inlaws' anniversary. It was very good. I must say that even with 3 people it was a lot of work! Unfortunately for me, cooking anything labor intensive that takes hours to make pretty much removes my appetite for it at dinner time...

I bet that movie has caused a run on boeuf bourguignon ingredients too!
I'm not worried. It's basically chicken stew. I'm leaving out the cognac, since I will never use it, and I'm using frozen pearl onions, so it doesn't look that labor intensive to me.
The thing is, I have never used red wine in a chicken dish (only white), but other than that, it's pretty similar to beef stew or beef bourguinion, only with chicken, oui?

Old 09-02-2009, 08:15 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,511,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I'm not worried. It's basically chicken stew. I'm leaving out the cognac, since I will never use it, and I'm using frozen pearl onions, so it doesn't look that labor intensive to me.
The thing is, I have never used red wine in a chicken dish (only white), but other than that, it's pretty similar to beef stew or beef bourguinion, only with chicken, oui?

It's just a lot of steps. Every little component cooked separately in its own stick of butter. CoastalMaine will approve.
We used cheater onions too.

It's chicken in a rich stew like sauce. Good with french bread.

It's not really a stew because the chicken pieces stay pretty together.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:18 AM

3,273 posts, read 2,970,403 times
Since I still have turkey and swiss left, I think I'm going to do the wraps again. The roasted red pepper wraps are so delicious!!

Old 09-02-2009, 09:14 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,919,296 times
Last night I tried stuffed acorn squash. The squash came in my CSA box a week ago. I had already made a spaghetti squash and a squash soup, and really wanted to keep this one sort of 'whole'.

I had some ground pork that I seasoned up enough to pass for sausage, cooked it, then cooked some diced onion and apples and used a box of instant stuffing and water to make the stuffing. I hollowed out the seeds on the squash and pre-roasted it with some salt and brown sugar. When it was getting tender I added the stuffing and cooked it another 10 minutes and served it with corn bread.

For something I pretty much made up on the fly it was more than decent. I'll play around with this recipe again in the future.

Tonight is rotisserie chicken with roasted red potatoes and brussels sprout slaw.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:42 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,267,642 times
Hi, all. Been having server issues, so I haven't been able to get on till just now.

PLan B was brought into play last night - we had our go to dinner - vegetarian Boboli pizza. It's always good in a crunch when you don't feel much like cooking and it's quick too.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:49 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,267,642 times
OK, hubster made the Chinese dish tonight - tofu, carrots, snow peas, noodles, other stuff. It's soooo good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink