Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 02:03 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,440,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 419gottaminute View Post
thank you, thank you, thank you.....
this sounds so delicious and easy to do...
i will try this on monday...i'm off that day...
what do you usually make to go with it...???
again, thank you...
Since I'm a low-carber (um, most of the time), I usually just have a salad or a hot green vegetable with it.

But I'm sure it'd be good with a flavored rice ... or fried potatoes with onion and green pepper?

The left-overs make the start of a good filling for a mean burrito
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 08:22 PM

3,464 posts, read 1,897,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Since I'm a low-carber (um, most of the time), I usually just have a salad or a hot green vegetable with it.

But I'm sure it'd be good with a flavored rice ... or fried potatoes with onion and green pepper?

The left-overs make the start of a good filling for a mean burrito

i like your style...

Old 02-21-2010, 09:33 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,988,837 times
shake the pieces in a little bit of flour (1/4-1/2 cup) and a package of Italian salad dressing. Bake bone side up for about 20 minutes in a high preheated oven (450 or so). Turn and bake at 350 for a half an hour. The chicken will come out cooked through and crispy......and the italian dressing adds a really nice flavor.

To make it better, serve with a salad of large pieces of green bell pepper, a jar of artichokes in oil, a can of tomato wedges (or diced), a jar of mushrooms in oil, some diced (in large chunks) red onion, and some crumbled feta cheese. Use the marinade from the mushrooms and artichokes as salad dressing.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:34 PM

515 posts, read 716,994 times
Easy, but mmmmm, mmmmm gooooooooood.

1. Pat chick pieces dry, brush all over with a little melted butter, liberally shake on lemon pepper, bake at 400 for 35 mins, turn chick, shake on more lemon pepper, continue baking a further 15 - 20 minutes.

2. Marinate chick pieces in char siu sauce (this is a Chinese BBQ sauce) thinned with a little hot water, then bake 35 mins @ 400, turn pieces, brush with remaining marinade, shake sesame seeds over, continue baking for a further 15-20 mins.

3. Pat chick pieces dry, brush well with Italian salad dressing, bake @ 400 for 35 mins, turn pieces, brush with some more dressing then shake on grated parmesan cheese, continue baking for a further 15-20 minutes.

4. Again with the drying then brush pieces liberally with apple juice concentrate which had been thinned with lemon juice ( keep tasting until the balance tastes good for you) to which some lemon zest has been added, bake @ 400 35mins, turn pieces, slosh on some more apple/lemon, sprinkle with chopped slivered almonds, bake a further 15-20 mins.

Whoa; I have dozens of quick, good recipes like this..........doncha just love chicken pieces?

Old 02-21-2010, 11:01 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,858,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
rainroosty, have you ever tried Sticky Chicken? It's perfect for cold days and you don't mind the warmth of the oven (that's the only time I can make it - in the winter)

Slow Roasted Sticky Chicken
Recipe By : Floating on the Internet for years :-)
1 tsp salt -- up to 2 (original was 4 t.)
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper -- *note
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 lbs roasting chicken
1 cup chopped onion
8 ozs chicken broth or water, sometimes more --**note

In a small bowl, combine all the spices. Remove giblets from chicken, clean the cavity and pat dry. Rub the spice mixture into the chicken, both inside and out, making sure it is evenly distributed and down deep into the skin. Place in a resealable plastic bag, seal and refrigerate overnight. (I have done this recipe without waiting overnight, but I like it better using the overnight method)

When ready to roast chicken, stuff cavity with onions, and place in a shallow baking pan. Pour broth in bottom of pan. Roast, uncovered, at 250 degrees F for 5 hours (yes, 250 degrees for 5 hours). After the first hour, baste chicken occasionally (every half hour or so) with pan juices. The pan juices will start to caramelize on the bottom of pan and the chicken will turn golden brown. If the chicken contains a pop-up thermometer, ignore it. Let chicken rest about 10 minutes before carving. Usually you don't carve it - if falls apart. Ohhh, the skin is delicious!

*Can substitute habanero powder or chipotle powder or chili powder. Chili powder is the least spicy.
**I use ice cubes of chicken broth made from the last chicken, and let them melt. I throw more in as time progresses, since I like the 'stuff' on the bottom of the pan.

If your oven is big enough, make 2. I freeze the meat of the 2nd one to use in salads, etc. Have never tried this with pieced chicken - only whole. But when my market has whole chickens at 49 cents a pound, I buy at least 5 ... :-)
I loved sticky chicken and we haven't made it for sometime . Wife lost the recipe and there are many on the internet. This one closely resembles the one we used. We used a crock pot ...let it go most of day. Falls of the bone & great taste. Thanks Gandalara!! Gonna try it again with your recipe. You all should try my King Ranch Casserole recipe.

King Ranch Casserole!!

Old 02-22-2010, 12:12 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
I've heard that sage goes well with chicken. Of course, you can use lemon pepper--stores do. Basil, rosemary, dill--any herbs really (leaves or stems of a plant). Or garlic.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:25 AM

878 posts, read 2,738,603 times
Funny enough I am at work right now on my lunch break eating baked leg quarters...this time I used jerk seasoning as I like spicy food. Sometimes, I do simple shake and bake which I love. Sometimes, black pepper, salt, garlic powder and thyme...really most combinations of seasoning you like will work. Sometimes I do season it with barbeque sauce and bake it and baste it with more barbeque sauce towards the end....so many good options out there but whenever you bake, roast some veggies in the oven as well...my chicken now is with roasted zucchinis...love love roasted veggies sprinkled with good olive oil and black pepper and salt.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:51 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
I broil chicken with Lawry's, black pepper and garlic powder if I want plainer chicken or something to use in soups or salads. For crispy chicken, try slathering on some mayo and then shaking in in a bag of crumbs seasoned with oregano, parsley or whatever you like. The mayo keeps the chicken very moist.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:47 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,437,376 times
Whenever we bake chicken legs in the oven, we throw in a few potatoes wrapped in aluminum foil, so we can enjoy the baked potatoes with butter, along with the chicken.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:58 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,454,810 times
May I suggest that in addition to chicken legs and thighs...you consider turkey legs and thighs? they are incredibly cheap, delicious and soooooooooooo easy. Any of the above recipes would be great if you increased the cooking times. MMMMMMMMMMM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink