Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 08:06 AM

245 posts, read 1,171,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by u4icmusic View Post
section 8 is a great plan. I rented a house to a section 8 family once and it was trashed in about 3 months. I had to completely renovate it. Never again.
good riddens byotch!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 08:49 PM

600 posts, read 2,259,753 times
It's Good Riddance, BOY! Didn't make it past 3rd grade, I see. I didn't know Ebonics until I moved to SOFLA and had to learn it just to check out at a Publix. Now I can speak like a true Broward Brotha!

Old 07-19-2008, 05:33 AM

The 42% increase in homeowners insurance rate request should make SOFLA even more affordable. Get out now, while the gettins good.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:55 PM

3 posts, read 8,501 times
Thumbs up Hello there

Any one with information on starting a business on a beach or near a beach? I am looking at Florida and California. Check out my product [URL="http://www.hairmagicbymissq.com"]www.hairmagicbymissq.com[/URL] this is what I would like to sell at a stand or stall near the beaches. Any good areas, any one can suggust would be great. I also need to know how to move to the beach in the States from Canada. Where would be the best place to start? Does anyone know how much any stand or stall would cost in any one of those areas? Could it be a home based business like I have now? I would really love to retire near or on the beach. I am not rich by all means and would still have to promote my combs enough that I can live comfortably. I would like just a little home near the beach as well. I love to walk or bike ride to work. I like all walks of life, and am not racist. Has any body done what I would like to do? Could I make a living at it? I don't like bad weather flooding, hurricanes, fires, etc. I guess I just want a nice clean roof over my head, enough money to pay the bills and maybe extra entertaining. I love boating, sunshine, good music, good people, and drinks of course.

Cheers everyone, from Canada wanting to retire at a nice beach resort, community, etc, near, of course the Water, water, water!

Old 07-21-2008, 08:47 PM

The only way to find what you are looking for is to visit down here and see what you like an don't like about specific areas. Hollywood beach is more afforadable than Fort Lauderdale, but is also more ethnic. You will pay a high price to live on the beach anywhere in Florida. Even sleepy Lauderdale by the Sea is getting expensive. All the older places, except in Hollywood Beach are getting torn down for new and expensive hotels and condos. You might also try Miami, they have a glut of 22,000 unsold condo units that they have dramatically reduced the prices on, however, you will have to learn Spanish to live down there. Again, you really have to visit and drive around and talk to people living here.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:58 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times
Look into Hollywood Beach - history of Canadians vacationing there, so you'll feel some community connection at that level, there are kiosks on the boardwalk you can rent (no clue how much they rent for), and it is affordable by beach standards. And you can work from home from anywhere around there with a business like yours.

VisitHollywood.org - The Official Website of the Hollywood Office of Tourism

Old 10-14-2008, 01:46 PM

161 posts, read 696,917 times
U4 Music sounds like his mind is made up!!! Did you like anything about this area? or just all negative? I am thinking about moving down there but def will rent for a year or two. Where are you headed? The Mecca "Atlanta, or Charlotte, or the great and amazing Raleigh Durham"? If you don't like minorities which you have made it very clear you don't, stay away from just about everywhere//////

Old 10-14-2008, 10:03 PM

245 posts, read 1,171,187 times
U4icMUSIC is a lost cause......good luck to you and your family

Old 10-15-2008, 07:26 AM

4 posts, read 7,082 times
Thanks so much for your info, and advice..It's greatly appreciated..
Am on social security disability..My net income is $1,735.00 a month..I have no major debt..I believe I can make it on my income, is just a matter of finding a safe area..I just turned 50 last month, so I don't qualify for any senior communities..I know there're some 50 and over age restrictions, but I don't know where they are..
Eventhough, am familiar with the South Florida area, am only aware of the obvious high crime areas like Overtown and Liberty city..I know there're plenty more of course..
Am a white cubanamerican, am not looking for a squeaky clean neighborhood, I know I can't achieve that on my income..I just want to live in an area, where I wont stick out as easy prey..
Can someone give me the areas I should avoid?
Again, thanks so much for your help..

Last edited by TMartin58; 10-15-2008 at 07:34 AM..

Old 10-15-2008, 12:04 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times
An area to look at - east Davie....there are a lot of disabled people who live in this area because while it is not squeaky clean, it is cheap, it is safe, and there is a downtown area with Publix, CVS, fast food places and anything else you might need all in walking (or rolling for wheel-chair bond) distance. It is also centrally located to everything in South Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area