Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:07 AM

245 posts, read 1,171,790 times

Advertisements

Yea It's Easy To Be Miserable Here When You Only Make $11 Dollars An Hour
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 10:29 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,912,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTOSFLA View Post
Yea It's Easy To Be Miserable Here When You Only Make $11 Dollars An Hour
You are absolutely right, but I have a few questions...

I'm going to be out soon so I'm going to make them quick.

1. What brought you to South Florida?
2. What are some of your talents/skills?
3. Have you been to college (even less than 2 years)?

Old 06-27-2008, 11:25 AM

124 posts, read 440,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
You are absolutely right, but I have a few questions...

I'm going to be out soon so I'm going to make them quick.

1. What brought you to South Florida?
2. What are some of your talents/skills?
3. Have you been to college (even less than 2 years)?
I think that this is really what it boils down to. I have browsed pretty high paying positions in Florida, but like anywhere else that you go, you need a certain skill set to land that job.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:02 AM

305 posts, read 805,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvi03 View Post
I think that this is really what it boils down to. I have browsed pretty high paying positions in Florida, but like anywhere else that you go, you need a certain skill set to land that job.
So are you saying everyone needs a Bachelors degree, 3 to 5 years experience and a professional image in order to get a job?

Old 06-30-2008, 11:57 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,903,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.00 per hour View Post
So are you saying everyone needs a Bachelors degree, 3 to 5 years experience and a professional image in order to get a job?
Bachelors degree - no
3-5 yrs experience - no
professional image - that's a joke question, right?

Old 06-30-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
1950 version.

Quote:
So are you saying everyone needs ahigh school diploma, and a professional image in order to get a job?
And yes, it has always been that way, except no a Bachelors is not always necessary, but some kind of talent or skill IS necessary. Everyone has talents, and it's up to you to find yours and start out/learn a trade that you feel comfortable with. It's a cold world out there, and yes, South Florida is colder in that way than most of the US. You said your at BCC now if I understood correctly. If you want to work hard, that school has connections to other state universities where you can achieve a "real" bachelors degree for a reasonable price (if you do well at BCC), and maybe even get something out of the experience. Unfortunately, if you don't want to put some effort into your career or your education, I don't know what to tell you other than not to expect much in return, which you seem to already be well aware of.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 06-30-2008 at 04:09 PM..

Old 06-30-2008, 04:32 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,567,579 times
Quote:
1950 version.

And yes, it has always been that way, except no a Bachelors is not always necessary, but some kind of talent or skill IS necessary. Everyone has talents, and it's up to you to find yours and start out/learn a trade that you feel comfortable with. It's a cold world out there, and yes, South Florida is colder in that way than most of the US. You said your at BCC now if I understood correctly. If you want to work hard, that school has connections to other state universities where you can achieve a "real" bachelors degree for a reasonable price (if you do well at BCC), and maybe even get something out of the experience. Unfortunately, if you don't want to put some effort into your career or your education, I don't know what to tell you other than not to expect much in return, which you seem to already be well aware of.
So what is your advice for the millions of Florida residents that have a higher education and get paid in the low 30's or less? Florida is not a state where an education matters much. When you factor in student loans, a college graduate in Florida is making minimum wage at best. trust me I know,lol.

When i was fresh out of high school in N.J. I got a warehouse job making $15 per hour and had no skills. Most major states still value honest hard work and you dont need an education or training, just a willingness to work hard. Unfortunately Florida is not that kind of state.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:49 PM

First of all, how could "the millions" of college graduates all get paid 30 grand or less if only about 26% of the state has a 4 year degree or higher and the median house income is a (below national average) 45k a year?

Second of all, "trust me, I know" is personal experience. While you might be able to gather some other posters on here.

Third of all, you live in Orlando. Not all of Florida is Orlando. Orlando is a little "world" in it's own and that I do know from experience. There, another part of the state with a worse economy than South Florida, within a state that does not have anywhere near the worst economy. No the Florida economy is not exactly robust but it's not dead.

Also, what do student loans have to do with Florida anyway? Do you know about some of the scholarship/college options that are available here to adults and high school seniors alike? If there is any bright spot in our mediocre educational system, it's the colleges and what is available for the price.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:59 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,567,579 times
Quote:
First of all, how could "the millions" of college graduates all get paid 30 grand or less if only about 26% of the state has a 4 year degree or higher and the median house income is a (below national average) 45k a year?

Second of all, "trust me, I know" is personal experience. While you might be able to gather some other posters on here.

Third of all, you live in Orlando. Not all of Florida is Orlando. Orlando is a little "world" in it's own and that I do know from experience.
1) I stated Higher Education, "Education beyond the secondary level", not 4 year degree or higher. These are workers with certificates, college degrees, technical degrees, or other training. And yes there are millions of workers in Florida with these credentials.

2)This site is meant for people to share their personal experiences. If people wanted stats they could look those up without coming here and asking for opinions.

3)Orlando is a major city in Florida and is having the same issues as most other cities in the state.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:18 PM

Orlando works differently from the other major cities in Florida because it's economic base is tourism. In South Florida for example, tourism is a major sector but it's mostly a small business and real estate base, the latter which is suffering and the former growing slowly. Otherwise, that's fine that you share your opinion, but it's just that, an opinion. It was just phrased in a very "matter of fact" way (to me).

Just a quick question, how long have you lived in Florida?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area