Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 11:43 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,248,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I have an in law in the Mainlands that has lived there since the late 70s. That area has become congested, but otherwise from what I understand nothing has changed about that area that would make it a "zoo" and with those grown in cypress trees it looks pretty nice...Lauderhill in the past 20 years on the other hand...I have seen pictures. Hard to believe what that area was...that truly has gone downhill.
I'm aware that Lauderhill is considered a "bad" area by many, but it just doesn't feel dangerous to me. I have never had any trouble when I was in Lauderhill, whether it be in the nighttime or day.

I have seen security bars on many of the homes/apartment complexes there, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 11:50 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Walk down 56th Ave at night and have fun. That particular in law (actually I'm not quite sure if that's the right word) I was speaking of was telling me how nice it used to be down there. She has pictures and advertising pamphlets...no I haven't lived in South FL all of my life but I have LOTS of roots down here that date back to the early 50s...so I know what was and what wasn't. Sorry, but Mainlands or Woodlands aren't zoos, not even now. It's certainly faring better than Inverrary.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 06-26-2008 at 12:00 AM..

Old 06-26-2008, 05:17 AM

600 posts, read 2,260,807 times
Broward and Dade counties are both dirty nasty armpits, when in fact they were really quite nice, just a few years ago. I'm so glad I only have 4 weeks left here. It's a cesspool down here and I feel for the remaining souls that have to live here.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:46 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,187 times
Where are you going? Just curious.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:57 AM

245 posts, read 1,171,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled To Reply View Post
somehow I Think That When He Said "waterfront", He Probably Meant That It Backs Up To A Drainage Pond In Sw Ft. Lauderdale Which Has Been Like That For Years, Nothing New At All...anything South Of Davie Rd Has A Little Of That East La Feel. I Spent A Couple Weeks Volunteering Around There One Time And I Thought These Were Mostly Good People In Bad Conditions, Yes A Lot Of Them Are Illegal. I Left Around Midnight A Few Times And Chula Vista Was Fine. It's Broadview Park That Was Really Nasty, And It Was Mostly The Scary Good Ol Boy Type Characters Roaming The Streets That Made It That Way.

Anyway, I Think If You Treat People A Certain Way, You Will Mostly (not Entirely Of Course, We Are Still Talking About Human Beings) Receive It In Return Regardless Of Their Country Of Origin. A Lot Of The People Who Posted On Here Might Want To Start Using That Practice In Life.

Ok, Why Don't You Just Move To China? Low Crime Rate, Few Hispanics And Plenty Of Regulations.
Well In Some States That Is Regulated No Matter What Your Ethnicity Is..

Old 06-26-2008, 09:10 AM

245 posts, read 1,171,461 times
Quote:
Walk down 56th Ave at night and have fun. That particular in law (actually I'm not quite sure if that's the right word) I was speaking of was telling me how nice it used to be down there. She has pictures and advertising pamphlets...no I haven't lived in South FL all of my life but I have LOTS of roots down here that date back to the early 50s...so I know what was and what wasn't. Sorry, but Mainlands or Woodlands aren't zoos, not even now. It's certainly faring better than Inverrary.

Lauderhill is not that bad, i've seen worst.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:07 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,248,530 times
Quote:
Still, I would consider Lauderhill to be a lower class area more than a full-fledged ghetto. My family lives in both Opa-Locka and Lauderhill, and the latter looks very nice compared to the former. Sure, Lauderhill technically isn't "safe", but it's not a dangerous wasteland like some cities to the south (in Dade) and even others in Broward (parts of Fort Lauderdale, Pompano Beach, parts of Deerfield Beach, etc.). And of course, cities up here like Riviera Beach and Belle Glade.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:24 PM

Oh I know but it's still one of the worst areas in Broward, I mean, Deerfield Beach has a lower crime than than Boca as of 07. Really only Hammondville (the bad part of Pompano) and NW Ft. Lauderdale are worse than Deepside part of Lauderhill. I don't think the bad parts of Deerfield are as bad as Deepside at night.

The rest of Lauderhill (except for parts of Shallowside) isn't horrible, mostly just a working class West Indian area, but it used to be an upper scale retirement kind of area.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:13 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
Quote:
Oh I know but it's still one of the worst areas in Broward, I mean, Deerfield Beach has a lower crime than than Boca as of 07. Really only Hammondville (the bad part of Pompano) and NW Ft. Lauderdale are worse than Deepside part of Lauderhill. I don't think the bad parts of Deerfield are as bad as Deepside at night.

The rest of Lauderhill (except for parts of Shallowside) isn't horrible, mostly just a working class West Indian area, but it used to be an upper scale retirement kind of area.
wasn't most of Fort Lauderdale at one time?

Old 06-27-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
wasn't most of Fort Lauderdale at one time?
Not really. If you are talking about the actual Fort Lauderdale, most of the neighborhoods have been similar since the 60s. Sunland Park actually got bad in the 70s/80s, so that's an exception. You can probably see elements of segregation from that time. They used to rob people driving to work for gold chains along Sunrise Blvd and had warnings to be cautious. The 90s got really bad (not so much for Broward in general but for Ft. Lauderdale) and when I moved here around 2000 or so a lot of the bad areas east of 95 started going on an upswing.

Lauderhill and Lauderdale Lakes used to be upscale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area