Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 05:58 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I'm still tempted to buy a little mountain hideaway somewhere in TN, and I am not joking one bit. I wonder how the soil is? I have been researching a lot about cost of living trends and can't find a major city where there isn't some form of stagflation. A lot of the cities where the sheeple are moving for example (Charlotte, Atlanta, etc) seem to actually have slipping wages and soaring unemployment and jobless rates, at least that's what the data claims. It seems like the midwest is the most stable.
My outlook on NC and GA is. First you have all these people moving there. Then you have people from those places who moved to NYC and other big cities. As times get bad I am positive they are going to end up going home to their families. That is more people being dumped into GA and NC. How are these cities prepared to handle all this influx? I wouldn't touch those places with a ten foot pole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 06:08 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,912,353 times
I 100% agree with you. I just kind of want some cheap, fertile hideaway land if worst comes to worst. Doesn't have to be Tennessee but it's not crowding up as fast and the taxes (all taxes) are low (for now).

Old 06-05-2008, 06:12 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times
^^

I really want to check out Portland or some where near it. If I had family there I would give it a serious go.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:13 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,912,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
^^

I really want to check out Portland or some where near it.
Me too...just that whole part of the country. I haven't been out there...but yes believe it or not there is a major connection between Oregon and Florida and a lot of Floridians are exploring it. That probably means a potential flood of malcontents if it's anywhere near as beautiful or affordable as I have heard. I just want to stay away from all of the malcontents if I buy land...

Let's put it like this. I either want to go to the "real" city or go to the country. I don't feel that anything in "between" will survive long term. You know what I am talking about and what's going on with the world at least as much as I do...I don't feel that it's time yet, but I'm prepared for when it is.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:18 PM

148 posts, read 682,946 times
The person who started this thread should move to Las Vegas! (LOL)

Old 06-06-2008, 06:47 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,916,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTOSFLA View Post
hy would anybody in their right mind move here knowing that South Florida has the worst economy? Everything is going up and wages are not, WTF.
What would make you thing FL has the worst economy? In case you live under a rock the economy is shaky all over the country right now.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:07 AM

346 posts, read 1,341,994 times
Sounds like a malcontent newbie to FL that just doesn't fit in. It also looks like a trolling thread to generate irate comments and response. All I can say is leave to find your paradise somewhere, but always be minful that wherever you go, you still have to take that cloud over your head with you.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:56 AM

845 posts, read 2,744,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Me too...just that whole part of the country. I haven't been out there...but yes believe it or not there is a major connection between Oregon and Florida and a lot of Floridians are exploring it. That probably means a potential flood of malcontents if it's anywhere near as beautiful or affordable as I have heard. I just want to stay away from all of the malcontents if I buy land...

Let's put it like this. I either want to go to the "real" city or go to the country. I don't feel that anything in "between" will survive long term. You know what I am talking about and what's going on with the world at least as much as I do...I don't feel that it's time yet, but I'm prepared for when it is.
I have not met many Floridians since I have been out here. Trust me though, the grass isnt always greener. Portland suffers from a bad economy, low wages, and high cost of living. There are a lot of young educated people working at coffee shops because many businesses are being driven out of the state. Plus, it's too f'ing cold here for me. Today our high is 54 with rain showers and overcast skies, no thanks. I will hopefully be out of here next year.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:21 PM

763 posts, read 3,533,891 times
North Carolina is going to be this country's next big problem. A mess of suburban sprawl and the same old "city grew too fast" dilemma and all the problems that come with it. Charlotte and Raleigh are all seeing more unemployment, crime, worse education, pollution, traffic, etc. Keeping sprawling North Carolina, keep sprawling.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:37 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,247,022 times
Smile I like it here....

I have spoken to others in different areas - a lot of the problems we have here - other communities have them, too!

My spirits always improve if I wake up and the sun is shining. That's good for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area