Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 03:28 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,373,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgator View Post
I have not met many Floridians since I have been out here. Trust me though, the grass isnt always greener. Portland suffers from a bad economy, low wages, and high cost of living. There are a lot of young educated people working at coffee shops because many businesses are being driven out of the state. Plus, it's too f'ing cold here for me. Today our high is 54 with rain showers and overcast skies, no thanks. I will hopefully be out of here next year.
what is driving them out of the state (the businesses)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 11:37 PM

711 posts, read 1,857,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
what is driving them out of the state (the businesses)?
1) A stiff income tax that's about as high as California's, making it one of the highest in the nation.
2) Extremely expensive real estate (and thus, high commercial rents) caused by "smart growth" regulations
3) Expensive gas (full service is mandatory)
4) Everything else (food, clothing, etc) is expensive because commercial rents are high, which costs businesses must pass on to their customers
5) Business-unfriendly tax and regulatory environment. Governments really don't care if major employers leave or expand elsewhere.
6a) Portland itself is the worst city in Oregon for all these things.
6b) Portland is hard at work intentionally (yes, they've said so publicly) trying to create traffic congestion worse than LA's.
6c) Portland's politics run to the moonbat loony side of the left.

Pretty much the same reasons businesses are leaving California.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:09 AM

why in Gods name would they want to create bad traffic? Why wouldn't they just create compelling mass transit or something?

How is Portland for diversity (ethnic)

Old 06-07-2008, 06:54 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,916,163 times
Quote:

The city of Portland is about as diverse as Cooper City, literally no exaggeration.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
The city of Portland is about as diverse as Cooper City, literally no exaggeration.
I dont know cooper city that well. Is it very diverse? I saw this internet show about public transportation and human powered commuting (bike and walking) in Portland.

Extremely impressive.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:50 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,761,637 times
I still believe that Western coastal states, Northeastern coastal and Florida are functionally obsolete due to the selfish attitudes and entrenched corruption. Overpriced real estate creates greedy, inefficient local governments. Florida is so bad that the whole state is overpriced by over 50% but there is hope for us. This is the south, not the northeast, we have no economic engine to sustain this. In a few years much of Florida will be priced like South Carolina, especially after Hurricane "X" devastates a major city. Your affordable Florida is being prepared and will be served to you in the coming years.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:55 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,351,877 times
Even in a terrible economy, there is still opportunity, whether it is buying homes at foreclosure or catering to the casualties of the economy (credit counselors, bankruptcy law firms, etc). So it wouldn't suprise me if people were still moving to South Florida. Also, don't forget about the retirees. They are probably salivating at the lower home prices that are substantially discounted from what other retirees were paying a few years ago.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:31 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,916,163 times
Quote:
I dont know cooper city that well. Is it very diverse? I saw this internet show about public transportation and human powered commuting (bike and walking) in Portland.

Extremely impressive.
Portland looks amazing in that way especially for it's size. I haven't really been out there. I have been to Oregon (Eugene) but not Portland.

Cooper City is known for being homogeneous...I just looked it up on city-data and they were both 75% white. All I know is the economy in the part of Oregon I was in is horrific, the scenery is indescribably beautiful once you get closer to the coast (especially when the sun is out!), and there are a lot of burnt out hippies that live off of the government lol.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:34 PM

845 posts, read 2,744,364 times
Quote:
Portland is not at all diverse. It is the whitest major city in the US and ,due to extensive gentrification, its already small minority population is being displaced even further. You will see a few Mexicans and Asians but as far as ethnic diversity goes, just about everybody is White American. It's pretty much the opposite of South Florida.

As as to why businesses are moving out, it's pretty much for the reasons the previous poster said. Portlanders are known for their anti-business mentality, especially for businesses that aren't local. Business here are taxed out the ying yang and subjected to heavy regulations. Also,due to urban growth boundaries creating an artificially high cost of living, smaller local businesses just can't afford to keep their businesses in Portland. Also, Portland does not work at attracting or retaining companies here; the state of Oregon only has 1 fortune 500 company. It's a weird situation because Portlanders are are all for local businesses but who can't afford to stay in the city but anti large corporations that pay well and can afford to do business here.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:46 AM

711 posts, read 1,857,079 times
Quote:
why in Gods name would they want to create bad traffic?
It's social engineering. Making traffic bad will (so they hope) induce people to ride their massively expensive, crime-ridden light rail system. That and cars are, you know, evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area