Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 11:39 AM

616 posts, read 1,564,475 times

Advertisements

Hik - I come from a long history of unemployment history. Youngstown/Warren, Ohio has probably never seen below 9% since the steel mills closed in the 60's /70's. We never had a housing "boom" or bust unless you count the very beginnings of the town. I think our highest population was around 50k and rapidly decreasing. So, I'm no stranger to towns with high employment.

I never once said that I'm guaranteed a job. Never said / implied that people there are lazy. What I said was that we need people in the area to help make a change. I don't care if they're "industrious northerners" or lazy locals. Don't care if they're from the east coast or west coast. Cape Coral /SWF needs like minded people to bring their niche to the area... to stand together and tell the school board, politicians, cronies, lazy people, stubborn, and people with bad attitudes - "hey, we're going to make this place better"

Everything starts with education. Look at the FCAT scores - best percentage pass rate was 3rd grade Math at 79% Why would anyone want to move to the area based on that alone? Why isn't the school board firing ineffective teachers? Why isn't the community standing up to the school board and requiring things be done about it?

Our society went from a community based living to it's all about me and what I can up one on the next person. It really does take a village to raise a child and keep a community together. We all have our niche expertise. I'm not going to try to take apart my car engine when I know nothing about it - likewise that mechanic isn't going to teach his kids English, Math...

Florida is about 30 years behind the times when it comes to (at least) education - especially Special Education. My wife recently graduated (in May) submitted her resume to a place of employment - they called the next day for a phone interview and she had to be at work the following Monday. She starts at 22/hr. We both agree that she's worth a lot more than that, but since we don't have a mortgage, kids with us only part of the year, and we know how to live frugally but still enjoy life... we're ok with that wage as we know if we believe in something, it will grow and become more in the future.

That's what we need in SWF. Yes, times are tough, but if you believe in something, make it work, the return on your effort will be greatly rewarded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 03:41 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stahltkd View Post
I never once said that I'm guaranteed a job. Never said / implied that people there are lazy. What I said was that we need people in the area to help make a change. I don't care if they're "industrious northerners" or lazy locals. Don't care if they're from the east coast or west coast. Cape Coral /SWF needs like minded people to bring their niche to the area... to stand together and tell the school board, politicians, cronies, lazy people, stubborn, and people with bad attitudes - "hey, we're going to make this place better"

I'm not going to try to take apart my car engine when I know nothing about it - likewise that mechanic isn't going to teach his kids English, Math...

Florida is about 30 years behind the times when it comes to (at least) education - especially Special Education. My wife recently graduated (in May) submitted her resume to a place of employment - they called the next day for a phone interview and she had to be at work the following Monday. She starts at 22/hr. We both agree that she's worth a lot more than that, but since we don't have a mortgage, kids with us only part of the year, and we know how to live frugally but still enjoy life... we're ok with that wage as we know if we believe in something, it will grow and become more in the future.

That's what we need in SWF. Yes, times are tough, but if you believe in something, make it work, the return on your effort will be greatly rewarded.
That's all well and good, but try getting those people together. I almost moved back to swFlorida this past spring. But trying to get people together to cause change in that area is like herding cats. We had one woman on the forum that said "tell me what to do so I can get my daughter in this school that all her friend's are in, and I'll do it" and when I said that we had to change policies, well, she just walked away.

SwFlorida is a transient area. People get down there, and if they have a family and can't find a job or don't like the one they have, they are often trying to move out. There are no real "roots" there, no feeling of history.

The demographic is skewed toward retirees and the majority don't care about the school system which, in my view, is very short-sighted.

I do want you to understand that I didn't mean YOU when I said that a lot of northerners have in the back of their head that they are the exception and will get a job. It is a fact, but not everyone thinks that way. Unfortunately, a lot do.

And if you understand what it is like living in an area of high-unemployment, why invite it upon yourself? That's much like the lady that said hey, my current state has the worst school system in the country so hey, it will actually be better. Well, gee, why don't you move to an area with a good school system for a complete change of pace. Why don't you move to an area with a low unemployment rate. This is a big country.

Anyway, I would love to see things change, and I am just the type of person to do it, but the schools are such a mess that I don't want my daughter going through that while I stand their and fight. Sorry. She's too important to me and it is my DUTY to see that she gets the best education I can provide.

And Lee County is use to doing what it wants without questions. The parents and students are a revolving door and they know it.

Stahl, did your wife get a position in the Lee County school system or is it up in Ohio? Either way, congrats on the job! Being a teacher is such a noble profession. My 17-year-old wants to be a teacher or a social worker. I'm working on the law school, medical school angle.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:24 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,094 times
Thanks for the info, everyone. I do have it rather good here in Delaware as far as my job and permanent employment goes, but there are aspects about the state I do not like and we're thinking about making that move south in a few years. After reading this and other threads, it does appear that my son is better off here for his schooling. The only school I've read good things about is the Oasis School down there. I'd like to teach in Cape Coral, but I am open to working as a park ranger/park naturalist as well (have a background in criminal justice too) since I do love the outdoors. Hopefully, the job market there won't be so bleak when we decide to move. I won't move down there without a job, that's for sure...especially after hearing from everyone on this site. The husband needs a job too...sigh....

Old 09-05-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
Thanks for the info, everyone. I do have it rather good here in Delaware as far as my job and permanent employment goes, but there are aspects about the state I do not like and we're thinking about making that move south in a few years. After reading this and other threads, it does appear that my son is better off here for his schooling. The only school I've read good things about is the Oasis School down there. I'd like to teach in Cape Coral, but I am open to working as a park ranger/park naturalist as well (have a background in criminal justice too) since I do love the outdoors. Hopefully, the job market there won't be so bleak when we decide to move. I won't move down there without a job, that's for sure...especially after hearing from everyone on this site. The husband needs a job too...sigh....
Oasis Elementary is very good, Oasis Middle is okay. Unfortunately, there isn't an Oasis High School.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:35 AM

616 posts, read 1,564,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
That's all well and good, but try getting those people together. I almost moved back to swFlorida this past spring. But trying to get people together to cause change in that area is like herding cats. We had one woman on the forum that said "tell me what to do so I can get my daughter in this school that all her friend's are in, and I'll do it" and when I said that we had to change policies, well, she just walked away.

SwFlorida is a transient area. People get down there, and if they have a family and can't find a job or don't like the one they have, they are often trying to move out. There are no real "roots" there, no feeling of history.

The demographic is skewed toward retirees and the majority don't care about the school system which, in my view, is very short-sighted.

I do want you to understand that I didn't mean YOU when I said that a lot of northerners have in the back of their head that they are the exception and will get a job. It is a fact, but not everyone thinks that way. Unfortunately, a lot do.

And if you understand what it is like living in an area of high-unemployment, why invite it upon yourself? That's much like the lady that said hey, my current state has the worst school system in the country so hey, it will actually be better. Well, gee, why don't you move to an area with a good school system for a complete change of pace. Why don't you move to an area with a low unemployment rate. This is a big country.

Anyway, I would love to see things change, and I am just the type of person to do it, but the schools are such a mess that I don't want my daughter going through that while I stand their and fight. Sorry. She's too important to me and it is my DUTY to see that she gets the best education I can provide.

And Lee County is use to doing what it wants without questions. The parents and students are a revolving door and they know it.

Stahl, did your wife get a position in the Lee County school system or is it up in Ohio? Either way, congrats on the job! Being a teacher is such a noble profession. My 17-year-old wants to be a teacher or a social worker. I'm working on the law school, medical school angle.
My apologies, I knew you weren't talking exactly about me, but the defense went up on auto-pilot.

Long story short about why I moved to Cape Coral - financially it was a good choice. My wife and I are both in the special education field. Ohio has 5 teacher prep colleges within it. Even though she graduated Suma *** Laude, the odds of her finding a job within Ohio were slim to none. Between school layoffs and a market filled with new graduates, chances of employment weren't there. We were paying over 700/mo in rent plus all the other things that come with life on my 9.00/hr job. Needless to say we were falling fast. Due to her parent's planning and her "uncle's" investing - she had 2 rental properties in SE Cape - one of which was just purchased in Jan and had no renters yet. During our vacation in June, we needed to decide if we were going to move or rent the second house. Even though all our friends and all but her family lives in Ohio, and we knew that the job market was tough in SWF, financially we could not afford to make a house / rent payment and survive in Ohio.

For my wife, things fell into place pretty quickly - as mentioned, she applied on a Thurs, started work on that following Mon. She's quickly moving up the chain of command within the company and loving what she is doing. She's working for a behavior therapy program as a therapist. I, on the other hand, will be the tough one to find work for, but I'm not too discouraged. From my understanding, the special education field is wide open and needs people with some of my skills. I'm also looking at going to Gulf Coast U. to finish up my degree and possibly starting non-profit/ business idea that may work and help the community as a whole.

I like challenges. Why move to a place that has low unemployment rate I sort of grew up vacationing in the area. My grandparents had a home in Labelle. I see great potential in the Ft. Myers/Cape Coral area and it "feels" like home." There's been only 2 places that feel that way to me - Germany, and Cape Coral.

I can't wait to get back to Cape Coral. I just had back surgery here in Ohio, but as soon as the doctor will allow me to drive.. wanna guess where I'm headed?

Old 09-06-2010, 12:33 PM

The very best to you in your recovery.

If the area could fill with people like you then Cape Coral could be heaven on earth. I think that this new crew of people moving in are giving the area its best chance that it has EVER had. These people actually love the area and want to take care of it. That has NEVER happened in its history.

My husband grew up in the area and he showed me what it use to be before the bulldozers came and destroyed places like south Fort Myers, Marco Island, and the like.

When I drove away in 2005 it was with a broken heart. The greedy people had come and ruined the place. I never, in a million years, thought it would ever be able to come back. I hope people like you bring it to its potential.

-Heidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stahltkd View Post
My apologies, I knew you weren't talking exactly about me, but the defense went up on auto-pilot.

Long story short about why I moved to Cape Coral - financially it was a good choice. My wife and I are both in the special education field. Ohio has 5 teacher prep colleges within it. Even though she graduated Suma *** Laude, the odds of her finding a job within Ohio were slim to none. Between school layoffs and a market filled with new graduates, chances of employment weren't there. We were paying over 700/mo in rent plus all the other things that come with life on my 9.00/hr job. Needless to say we were falling fast. Due to her parent's planning and her "uncle's" investing - she had 2 rental properties in SE Cape - one of which was just purchased in Jan and had no renters yet. During our vacation in June, we needed to decide if we were going to move or rent the second house. Even though all our friends and all but her family lives in Ohio, and we knew that the job market was tough in SWF, financially we could not afford to make a house / rent payment and survive in Ohio.

For my wife, things fell into place pretty quickly - as mentioned, she applied on a Thurs, started work on that following Mon. She's quickly moving up the chain of command within the company and loving what she is doing. She's working for a behavior therapy program as a therapist. I, on the other hand, will be the tough one to find work for, but I'm not too discouraged. From my understanding, the special education field is wide open and needs people with some of my skills. I'm also looking at going to Gulf Coast U. to finish up my degree and possibly starting non-profit/ business idea that may work and help the community as a whole.

I like challenges. Why move to a place that has low unemployment rate I sort of grew up vacationing in the area. My grandparents had a home in Labelle. I see great potential in the Ft. Myers/Cape Coral area and it "feels" like home." There's been only 2 places that feel that way to me - Germany, and Cape Coral.

I can't wait to get back to Cape Coral. I just had back surgery here in Ohio, but as soon as the doctor will allow me to drive.. wanna guess where I'm headed?

Old 09-18-2010, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 3,817 times
Hi Nattjazz, The Oasis charter schools are very good. If you want to check the ratings of schools, go to a website called GreatSchools. I can't speak for which are the better schools for sports. You may want to check out the online versions of our area newspapers, The Cape Coral Daily Breeze and the Ft Myers News-Times.

We live in the Southwest section of Cape Coral, I think it's the best section, because it is newer yet well populated - so it's safer - and with plenty of shopping areas close by. We live in the gated community called Sandoval, it's a great place to rent in first, to buy, or build a home. I strongly suggest you rent first before buying so you can get to know the areas you like best. In Cape Coral, you don't go to neighborhood schools, you go to the school of your choice and that way, if you move you don't have to switch schools.

Cape Coral is one of the worst-hit areas in the country from the economy in terms of foreclosures and employment. But, we don't have tumbleweeds blowing down our streets by any means! You can mainly find employment in the areas of healthcare, finance, sales, administration, and education. I don't know about a job for your husband, but you could Google job sites and find out what jobs are listed for Cape Coral.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-18-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by come-to-swfl View Post
Hi Nattjazz, The Oasis charter schools are very good. If you want to check the ratings of schools, go to a website called GreatSchools. I can't speak for which are the better schools for sports. You may want to check out the online versions of our area newspapers, The Cape Coral Daily Breeze and the Ft Myers News-Times.

We live in the Southwest section of Cape Coral, I think it's the best section, because it is newer yet well populated - so it's safer - and with plenty of shopping areas close by. We live in the gated community called Sandoval, it's a great place to rent in first, to buy, or build a home. I strongly suggest you rent first before buying so you can get to know the areas you like best. In Cape Coral, you don't go to neighborhood schools, you go to the school of your choice and that way, if you move you don't have to switch schools.

Cape Coral is one of the worst-hit areas in the country from the economy in terms of foreclosures and employment. But, we don't have tumbleweeds blowing down our streets by any means! You can mainly find employment in the areas of healthcare, finance, sales, administration, and education. I don't know about a job for your husband, but you could Google job sites and find out what jobs are listed for Cape Coral.

Hope this helps!
Wrong, regarding School Choice. It's the only system in the country that takes School Choice and sets it on its ear. They ask the parents for their top 3 choices, then the school department decides where the child will go, and it has nothing to do with the parent's list. Nothing. In fact, often, the school the kid ends up attending is not even on the parents list. It's the most ridiculous school system in the country. It's far from stellar and it is almost a given that your kid will not attend school with their neighbors. Want your kid in a better school? Good luck.

And the latest unemployment rate is now at 13.7, up from 13.2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area