Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 11:18 AM

6 posts, read 9,990 times

Advertisements

Hi All:

I am looking for some words of wisdom. Cape Coral looks beautiful and there are some good housing deals there. We are thinking about relocating to this area to raise our children. I am a little worried as I've read some negative information on some other msg. boards. I do realize not everyone is happy everywhere but there seem to be some very unhappy people in the area. Could you please tell me if you have heard good things about any of the schools and which area seems to be the safest and best place for families (which quadrant or zip codes?). Any help would be appreciated as we do live in beautiful CO & it is a little hard to leave. What is Chinese Drywall too? I've heard to watch out for that. Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 06:04 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,285,205 times
will you be looking for work?

why are you leaving CO?

are you a beach, boat, pool, dog, fishing, tennis, kayak, culture, or golf person?

use a reputable house inspector, but more importantly, rent before buying - look for black wiring for chinese drywall

consider Marco Island all the way up to Ste. Petes and across to Orlando as one similar lifestyle zone, but with some specific differences

Old 09-02-2010, 08:14 PM

Thanks for your feedback. Housing here is a little expensive. We could probably pay for a home in full and cut out mortgage payments. We love the beach, fishing, getting into boating would be nice. But, CO is amazing other than the cost of living. Is housing reasonable outside Cape Coral as well? Thanks for your feedback. I need it

Old 09-02-2010, 09:03 PM

515 posts, read 1,591,086 times
What is Chinese Drywall too? It is actually drywall from China. it was manufactured using caustic products that outgas with age. Kinda like the new car smell you get in a new car. That is actually the materials outgassing ( the solvents used to manufacturer the products are breaking down) and being confined inside your car. But in the case of the drywall the outgassing is not good for your health or any metal products inside the home. Since drywall was in big demand and in short, the american building product importers opted for a cheaper foreign products since the american made factories could not keep up and/or compete in price, typical.
So if your looking at houses check the knobs, hinges, fixtures, anything metal that has prematurely corroded or tarnished. Ask all realtors which neighborhoods were known to be built using chinese drywall, then ask how it was fixed. They actually have to take everything down to the bare studs, removing all fixtures, trim, drywall, wiring, heat ducts and all heating and AC devices. Most builders are not fixing the problem without putting up a fight. There are a few that are owning up to it and doing what is needed.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:10 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
We moved away to raise our child due to the atmosphere and schools. That's all I will say regarding my opinion.

But that was five years ago and School Choice is still there. It means that you choose a school and then the school department picks one and guess what? Your kids goes where they want him to go. School Choice! How clever, huh?

What it really means is that if there are kids in the neighborhood (big if, this is senior land) the odds are good that he will not go to the same school. Instead the kids sit on buses for long periods of time (not an exaggeration) driving around the countryside.

You asked and I told.

For further information please check the search feature on this forum.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:12 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,285,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattjazzz View Post
Thanks for your feedback. Housing here is a little expensive. We could probably pay for a home in full and cut out mortgage payments. We love the beach, fishing, getting into boating would be nice. But, CO is amazing other than the cost of living. Is housing reasonable outside Cape Coral as well? Thanks for your feedback. I need it

Old 09-03-2010, 08:13 AM

31 posts, read 80,819 times
If you google chinese drywall there are lots of sites that have pics and good explanations- we did that prior to buying and then had a home inspection to boot. Also make sure you do a walk thru prior to closing. The day before our closing we did and discovered someone had stole the copper to our a/c. Luckily the mortgage co. gave us full credit for a new a/c

Old 09-03-2010, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,820 times
Hi Nattjazz! There are good things and bad things about each place, just as you say. I moved to Cape Coral about 4 years ago, on purpose, and I love it here! Although there are lots of Seniors, the Cape is more of a family town than other towns in the area. The school choice system can be a pain, but there are some great schools ( BTW, we homeschool).

Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by Keeper; 09-03-2010 at 04:48 PM..

Old 09-03-2010, 08:46 PM

Thanks everyone, there are many good reasons to go and some to stay. I appreciate all feedback, positive and negative. Is there a certain area best for kids? Is anyone familiar with the charter school? We don't go to our local school b/c it wasn't a good one. So, we open enrolled and got into a "magnet" school here in CO. But the drive is only 5 mins. and they had to accept our application, so it worked differently. Why does the county bus kids all around? I can't understand that.... I think Charter schools can be good. Come-to-swfl....can you tell me which area you are at and if it is good for kids? I have 4 kids and I want to go to the right area for a community feeling...if possible Are there organized sports? My kids play football, baseball, soccer and basketball. THX everyone....I can tell there are some good hearts out there in SW FL

Old 09-03-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post

I stay at home with my kids. 2 go to public school and the other 2 are too young for that. My husband has been a retail manager for 15 yrs. I think he can find a job fairly easily with his experience but I am unsure about the job market there. Do you think it is thriving? I do work PT as a server (subpoenas) but I will stay home until we are situated. My brother is an atty. so I serve subpoenas for his law firm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area