Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 05:21 AM

10 posts, read 41,323 times

Advertisements

Im moving from Detroit to Fort Wayne, just curious to know what there is to do there. Also how are the jobs? i know the cost of living is cheap, how is the crime compared to detroit? How are the people?? any positive or negative feedback is appreciated!! any info on fortwayne in general would be a big boost of confidence because i need to be pre occupied or ill be homesick!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 07:54 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,990,783 times
I recommend conducting some Indiana sub-forum searches as there is a lot of great information about Fort Wayne already posted (If you search under my username, you'll link to most of the threads about it).

For anyone to name activities which will interest you, we first need to know a bit more about you. How old are you, do you have a spouse, kids, etc. The good news is that there's a ton to do in this town for people of just about any demographic.

Regarding the job market - good paying jobs are currently pretty hard to find unless you have a degree and skills in a high demand area (but this is like most of the US right now anyway). If you're a healthcare practitioner, lawyer, or someone young looking for a low-paying retail job, then you'll find what you want pretty quickly :-) If you're in IT or a Factory worker... good luck (you'll probably have to know someone to find a position).

Regardin

The crime in Fort Wayne isn't bad at all with the exception of a one or two specific areas. I recommend finding a house or place to rent in the 46804 or 46814 zip codes due to proximity to nice businesses, activities, and highway 69.

The people of Fort Wayne - they're generally very nice. I've resided in NYC, Boston, as well as places such as Buffalo NY, and just outside of OK city... I can tell you that the people here are just as friendly as the best of those places.

I recommend doing research online to find more information on Fort Wayne's demographic details if that's what you're looking for (Census Bureau Home Page or www.city-data.com or Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed or just do some "googling").

If you have specific questions you need answered feel free to follow-up here or to reach out to me with a direct message. I've lived here for 7 years with my wife and started a family a few years ago we were so comfortable here. I've also lived all over the country so I have some insight regarding how Fort Wayne compares to a lot of other places.

Last edited by Yac; 09-01-2008 at 08:43 AM..

Old 07-17-2008, 10:31 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,035,703 times
I'm a native of Michigan and now live in Fort Wayne as well. I've been here for two years and have done quite well here.

Fort Wayne is a medium sized city so there should generally be enough to keep you interested in. We are fairly equidistant from Indy, Chicago and Detroit so the big cities are within close reach. Schools are decent here and there isn't much of a crime problem except for the parts east of downtown.

I would recommend the 46814 zip code. I live on the southwest side of town in the 46814 zip code and off of Homestead Rd. Very nice neighborhood.

If possible, could you let us know a little bit more about you? That way it'll be easier to find something that matches your needs.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:10 PM

Well Im 25 it will be me my girlfriend and our 2 year old son, as far as work ive been doing factory work up here in michigan but saving up enough money so i can get schooling sometime soon. I also produce music on the side which brings in a little income. I enjoy site seeing and old buildings, parks. one reason for moving out of detroit is because the crime is so out of control right now, and there are zero jobs for anyone at any level unless you want to sell crack, lol...

Old 07-17-2008, 07:30 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,067,294 times
If into music, might check out the various entities in the area, along with the multitude of venues.

WhatzUp - Heartland Art, Entertainment & Recreation
and for example Welcome to Sweetwater

Good luck to yas!

Old 07-21-2008, 08:22 AM

36 posts, read 130,209 times
If you are interested in music production--- check out Sweetwater Sound...
It looks like an AWESOME place to work!
Sweetwater Career Center | Sweetwater.com

Old 07-21-2008, 07:48 PM

23 posts, read 67,447 times
My husband and I and our two kids (9 & 5) just moved to Ft Wayne less than two years ago. We live in the 46804 area right near Haverhill School. Very nice area, older homes with bigger yards. We spent a long time deciding on what area to live in. We live very close to the I-69 and shopping which is nice. You will find a wide variety of home prices, yard sizes, and I believe the closer to County Line Rd you get, they are annexed from the city which allows for cheaper taxes. We found 46814 to being on he higher end of the home prices. All and all, the SW area has good schools, nice neighborhoods, friendly people.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,358 times
Fort Wayne is not like Detroit in the crime area. Fort Wayne is a good place to live as far as jobs i hope you have experience in a field.. People are friendly. I suggest the 46814 area to live in. Good Luck

Old 07-25-2008, 08:00 PM

what about community colleges or schools in the area?? i will be moving on the north side over by walmarts and all that im pretty sure, how is that area over there, and what is the ratio as far as nationalitys and ethnicity? Parks? Pinic Areas? Where are the bad areas of fort wayne? How are the Laws in Indiana???

Old 07-26-2008, 06:34 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,764,170 times
We have laws in Indiana ... not quite sure what you are getting at ... it's against the law to sell carry out booze on Sundays and election day...

You can check for ethnicity stats on the mothership: www.city-data.com

I'd imagine there is an Ivy Tech campus in Fort Wayne ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne