Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 10:37 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,214,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Wide open windows much of the year is one of the few inexpensive good things about living in Southern Cal (within 15-20 miles of the coast). I've had at least one window open 24x7 since late April, with the exception of a few simmering afternoons. AC has been used just one afternoon so far this year, but the next 4 or 5 weeks will probably bring the hottest temps of the summer. My electric bill averages less than $20 per month (about 140 kwh per month) but September is usually a bit more.
Nothing beats open windows. I love having the fresh air come into the house. I'll take that over A/C anyday (but A/C is a godsend when it does become oppressive).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 05:26 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Nothing beats open windows. I love having the fresh air come into the house. I'll take that over A/C anyday (but A/C is a godsend when it does become oppressive).
It's usually too hot/humid here to have the windows open in the summer but last night was cool enough. Enduring such a hot and sticky summer makes open windows a nice treat. I'm sure we'll close them and use the AC again this season but I always look forward to fall when I can open the windows again until heating season. We usually get 5-6 months a year when we can go without running the heat or air. I do it more for the fresh air than the savings but the savings are nice too.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I said I gave up my high end cosmetice, didn't I?

And, just FYI, the reason we're carrying two house payments isn't because of some general stupidity. We had to relocate for job reasons, and our previous house is sitting on the market, like thousands of others.
I don't care why you had to move. Buying a second house in this economy and housing market is what most people here would call stupidity....it's certainly extremely risky considering the prediction of a slow recovery and indications that the housing market is not recovering, at all. If you had to move again you'd be completely screwed. I don't know of one other person who is taking that sort of risk right now.

When we had to move for a job we moved into a small apartment until our house sold. THEN we bought another house. Living in the apartment vs a home also helped us realize how much less we could get by with. There just wasn't room for all the stuff and we managed quite fine without it. We still bought a house after ours sold but we've been making an effort over years to continue to pare down, to simplify and clarify to the point that moving back into an apartment wouldn't be a painful experience.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:40 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,152,049 times
Quote:
I see numerous homes and know many people who sleep with their windows open.

I often leave my window open for several days in a row. Only close it when it either gets too hot and humid or drops below 50 F outside.
I have only 6 windows in my apt. I get annoyed that with only window in the bedroom I can't open it on days like the past 2-3. It's been nice and cool but my a/c is in there and I can't lift it out.

I tihnk it's great if you can, to sleep with the windows open.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
It's usually too hot/humid here to have the windows open in the summer but last night was cool enough. Enduring such a hot and sticky summer makes open windows a nice treat. I'm sure we'll close them and use the AC again this season but I always look forward to fall when I can open the windows again until heating season. We usually get 5-6 months a year when we can go without running the heat or air. I do it more for the fresh air than the savings but the savings are nice too.
Yeah much of this summer it was too hot and humid to open the windows. Assuming you live in North Carolina, you have far fewer opportunities than I do here in New Jersey to open the windows during the summer months.

I mostly do it for the fresh air too. The savings are just an extra bonus.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I have only 6 windows in my apt. I get annoyed that with only window in the bedroom I can't open it on days like the past 2-3. It's been nice and cool but my a/c is in there and I can't lift it out.

I tihnk it's great if you can, to sleep with the windows open.
I'm fortunate enough to have two windows in my bedroom. One with the window unit, the other is a crank out, which I open on cooler, dryer days.

I have a good feeling the A/C won't be getting much more use this year. I usually take mine out by the end of September.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:58 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
Quote:
I see numerous homes and know many people who sleep with their windows open.

I often leave my window open for several days in a row. Only close it when it either gets too hot and humid or drops below 50 F outside.
When the weather was okay I used to leave a window open. At my apartment I figured it was almost as easy to open it when it was locked as when it was open and you'd have to climb throught he small opening in the desk to get in. Here it was fine until the property next door became a business and there are compressors running at night (much noise) and very bright light. I have a window ac unit and when its not doing AC its set to high fan. It at least blocks the noise.

But when its 105 outside, believe me, windows shut, and AC ON. Luckily this last miserable month has been an exception to the rule here. I'm thinking of doing a glass treatment on the windows facing the lights so it will shield some of it especially at night. But the local meat market and the wonderful owner are worth a little inconvience.

Days like today which are beautiful I have my door open and my cat and dog proof screen door latched and am a very happy camper. The pet guard wire between two layers of screen really does work too.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:48 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,396,101 times
Quote:
I don't care why you had to move. Buying a second house in this economy and housing market is what most people here would call stupidity....it's certainly extremely risky considering the prediction of a slow recovery and indications that the housing market is not recovering, at all. If you had to move again you'd be completely screwed. I don't know of one other person who is taking that sort of risk right now.

When we had to move for a job we moved into a small apartment until our house sold. THEN we bought another house. Living in the apartment vs a home also helped us realize how much less we could get by with. There just wasn't room for all the stuff and we managed quite fine without it. We still bought a house after ours sold but we've been making an effort over years to continue to pare down, to simplify and clarify to the point that moving back into an apartment wouldn't be a painful experience.

We're renting our second house, if that makes you happy. Really, my kids are taught not to use the S word------either way you cut it, we're still making two payments. Guess you can get it now?

Old 08-25-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
We're renting our second house, if that makes you happy. Really, my kids are taught not to use the S word------either way you cut it, we're still making two payments. Guess you can get it now?
My mistake for thinking you had two mortgages when you said you have two house payments. Really, you have a house payment and rent...you might want to communicate that more clearly in the future. As for the S word...don't let your kids read the post.

The reason I brought up the two house payments (assuming you had bought another house) was because for us (and for many people), learning to live with less didn't mean living with only less stuff. It is less stuff, less debt, less payments, and ultimately less stress. You may be learning to live in a smaller house and with less stuff but your financial position (two houses at the same time) and the forced 'living with less' ( because you can no longer afford to live with more) is still a lot of stress in your life. I appreciated a cheap apartment when we were in transition. We were a bit crowded and we didn't have all our 'stuff' but we had so much less stress than we would have had we gone out and rented or purchased a big house.

For most people living a frugal lifestyle or Living with Less isn't just about cutting down the electric bill or giving up fancy cosmetics until you sell the house and can afford more again. It's about much more than that.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:44 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,396,101 times
Quote:
My mistake for thinking you had two mortgages when you said you have two house payments. Really, you have a house payment and rent...you might want to communicate that more clearly in the future. As for the S word...don't let your kids read the post.

The reason I brought up the two house payments (assuming you had bought another house) was because for us (and for many people), learning to live with less didn't mean living with only less stuff. It is less stuff, less debt, less payments, and ultimately less stress. You may be learning to live in a smaller house and with less stuff but your financial position (two houses at the same time) and the forced 'living with less' ( because you can no longer afford to live with more) is still a lot of stress in your life. I appreciated a cheap apartment when we were in transition. We were a bit crowded and we didn't have all our 'stuff' but we had so much less stress than we would have had we gone out and rented or purchased a big house.

For most people living a frugal lifestyle or Living with Less isn't just about cutting down the electric bill or giving up fancy cosmetics until you sell the house and can afford more again. It's about much more than that.
Actually, my dh lived in a small efficiency apt for about a year and we stayed behind in the "big house" until we felt better about the job. I've known many people simply pack up and move at a job offer, not really knowing how stable the job is,or if it is something they can handle long-term. We finally decided we couldn't be apart and be a family much longer, so, we tried selling our home, but after several months and no offers, we gave up. Many people in our neighborhood had luck renting their homes, that's what we tried to do. I developed health problems and could no longer live alone, needed to be with dh, so, we placed our home for rent, and moved into a rental dwelling.

We're still hoping to rent out our home, we just haven't had any luck so far.

In the meantime, the home we're renting is about 800 sq ft less than our previous home, and it suits us just fine! At first we thought it would be somewhat cramped, but we find it refreshing to have less. We might even make an offer to purchase if we can manage to sell our current home, but I agree with you 100%, anyone would be crazy to actually own two homes in this market, one is a ball and chain as it is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living