Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 01:03 AM

32,939 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee18 View Post
- No lawn service or electric lawnmower - I use a manual push mower
- No gym membership - I have equipment at home
- No pets

I guess most people have these things.
My father-in-law's 35 year old gas mower runs like a charm since my son tuned it up.
I guess people who sit at a desk all day need a gym membership.
My son's hissy, nasty cat lives at my house. She hates me and is waiting for the moment she can blind me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 07:01 AM

325 posts, read 336,960 times
No Netflix or similar movie stuff. Don't want it.

No satellite radio. Don't want it either.

No union to join. That's something I also don't want. (My workplace is non-union)

No store membership cards that some stores try to get me to have.

No XBOX or PlayStation since I never want that.

That's it for now as I am still making monthly payments for my relatively new car and I find my iPhone quite useful to have around. I plan to dump Verizon FIOS sometime in the future since it's cable TV to me.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:00 AM

920 posts, read 932,031 times
-no tv-
-no mechanics, my husband fixes our 2 cars (except no oil changes, they're cheap and too much work he says)

-tracphones in place of smart phones $6 per mo.-

-No auto insurance. I drive maybe once a month, and that's the backroads, so we keep it on him only-

-no trash service, go to dump ourselves-

-use fireplace instead of traditional heat-

Last edited by OutdoorsyGal; 09-26-2015 at 10:13 AM..

Old 09-27-2015, 01:02 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,628,749 times
The main things I don't subscribe to are TV and movie related. I don't see the point of owning a great big three d screen when the shows are still the same and most of it's crap. And I only have one tv in my house. I don't own any DVd's/movies. Never understood how anyone has a library of those. If I've seen it once I don't need to watch it again. Had netflix once and ran out of things I wanted to watch before the contract expired. I go to 2 or less movies a year in a theater. I grew up with my family watching prime time tv every night, but why did we do that? If you quit watching for a long time and then turn it on the laugh track in the background is harder to tune out and it's obnoxious.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:14 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Can't remember if I answered this 5 years ago, but things might be different now.

1. No cell phone.
2. No LD provider for landline, I make LD calls on Google.
3. No cable. I watch sports on internet, sometimes movies.
4. No microwave.
5. Dishwasher in apartment, I refuse to use it. Lease violation to destroy it.
6. No purchased paper products. Newspaper to clean up spills. Cloth rags,napkins. Bidet.
7. No purchased plastic products. Bags, tubs, jugs, etc are repurposed packaging
8. No bed or mattress. Sleep on floor
9. No AC until lit reaches 90 in house, then set at 85.
10. No car
11. No radio
12. No recorded music nor video player, nor game player..
13. No dish-soap. Rinse with hot water, wipe with newspaper if too greasy.
14. No electric grooming devices (razor, toothbrush)
15. No electric kitchen aids, except a yard-sale blender.
16. No computer chair. Walmart stackable.
17. No subscription nor recurring bills, except lights, water, landline
18. No pets
19. No big screen movies.
20. No candy, or store-bought treates. Bake myself.
21. No friends that impose on me.
22. No relatives that live nearby.
23. No trash, except tiny amounts of packaging. All food gets eaten.
24. No books or magazines, I can walk to two libraries.
25. No credit card balance.
26. No keys, except as required by lease, front door (never locked) and mailbox'
27. No desktop computer. Just laptop Windows 7.
28, No printer. Mouse is only thing in lUSB ports.

I'll post again if I notice any other things most people have.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-28-2015 at 12:23 AM..

Old 09-28-2015, 05:51 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
-no tv-
-no mechanics, my husband fixes our 2 cars (except no oil changes, they're cheap and too much work he says)

-tracphones in place of smart phones $6 per mo.-

-No auto insurance. I drive maybe once a month, and that's the backroads, so we keep it on him only-

-no trash service, go to dump ourselves-

-use fireplace instead of traditional heat-

In Indiana you can't purchase your license plates unless you have insurance. Is their no law requiring insurance in California?

Old 09-28-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
In Indiana you can't purchase your license plates unless you have insurance. Is their no law requiring insurance in California?
On "back roads", you don't even need current plates, if you are willing to take the risk. The police never go there, except in hot pursuit if somebody is trying to give them the slip, and in that case, they're not going to stop and check insurance on some non-target car..

Old 09-28-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
On "back roads", you don't even need current plates, if you are willing to take the risk. The police never go there, except in hot pursuit if somebody is trying to give them the slip, and in that case, they're not going to stop and check insurance on some non-target car..
Maybe the police don't travel the rural back roads where you live but they sure do where I live. The majority of roads where I live are rural back roads. I personally wouldn't take the chance of getting a ticket with a big fine.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Maybe the police don't travel the rural back roads where you live but they sure do where I live. The majority of roads where I live are rural back roads. I personally wouldn't take the chance of getting a ticket with a big fine.
How much is the fine for no insurance? In Michigan, the cheapest legal minimum liability is about $800 a year, for best drivers with all the discounts, bare bones "your fault" insurance in rural zip codes. Save $8,000 if you get away with it for ten years. The poster in question is probably just driving a work car a few miles on dirt or gumbo or logging roads to hunt or haul firewood. Why should she pay those kinds of rates for insurance?

Old 09-29-2015, 01:50 AM

I think the insurance on my husbands old truck is about 500 a year. I wouldn't take the chance myself of being in an accident and being sued, or getting points against my license for not only no insurance but also for expired tags. If I didn't want to or couldn't pay for the tags/insurance I would live in town but where I live it's not not practical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living