Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 06:03 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brokegirl View Post
My friend is buying a house and plans on "getting rid of" the existing appliances because they are "green" and they don't like the color . The appliances are in perfect working order.

My mom got rid of a perfectly functioning dryer and bought a new one because it "matched" her new washing machine (that had broken).

Another friend spent her last remaining dollars painting her kitchen because it was "yellow" and she couldn't "take it anymore". She was unemployed at the time and hired someone to do this.

These are not rich people by any means. I guess I just can't relate. There are weeks I can't even go to the grocery store and I see things like this and I guess it's just hard to comprehend. Does anyone else feel this way?

If I had that kind of money, I think I would just put it in savings or a matching 401K or something. I would never get rid of something expensive because of the color.
In the first situation, maybe your friend factored the cost of replacing the appliances into what she wanted to spend for a house. Sometimes it makes more sense to spend some money addressing the "cosmetic" issues rather than buying a house that already has everything that she likes.

In your mom's situation, maybe it's not just that the appliances matched, but additional features that justified the purchase. Faster drying time? Sign me up!

The third situation, I don't know. Hopefully the person that she hired was able to do a good job for her at low cost. I couldn't see spending my last dime on something like that, especially if I was unemployed, but to each his/her own.

As far as spending goes, for me, I try to strike a sensible balance between ant and grasshopper (a nod to Aesop).

Old 03-15-2012, 06:06 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
It's totally worth is to not be constantly annoyed when you look at something. When you spend the money to buy a house, and spend a lot of time in it, it better make you happy.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:48 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,910,969 times
Quote:
My friend is buying a house and plans on "getting rid of" the existing appliances because they are "green" and they don't like the color . The appliances are in perfect working order.

My mom got rid of a perfectly functioning dryer and bought a new one because it "matched" her new washing machine (that had broken).

Another friend spent her last remaining dollars painting her kitchen because it was "yellow" and she couldn't "take it anymore". She was unemployed at the time and hired someone to do this.

These are not rich people by any means. I guess I just can't relate. There are weeks I can't even go to the grocery store and I see things like this and I guess it's just hard to comprehend. Does anyone else feel this way?

If I had that kind of money, I think I would just put it in savings or a matching 401K or something. I would never get rid of something expensive because of the color.
So people are not allowed to redo their house, which in essence will increase the value?

I agree with the washing machine but with kitchen appliances, I feel its important to the value of your house to have matching and in style ones. Not really for personal preference but for resale. People look to kitchens and bathrooms first and if you have those things in order you will sell your house quicker.

The house I bought had a perfectly functional flamingo pink bathroom. It was one of the reasons the house had issue selling. Now it has a perfectly functional, slate floor and claw foot tub which has increased the value of the house.

I guess our view are different but I do not hesitate to spend money on appreciating assets such on real estate and certain jewelry. Its a win/win, you spend money for things to be more aesthetically pleasing, and you get the money back ++. I inherited my grandfathers Rolex. Its gold, he payed 2k for it in the 1980s, its now worth over 10k.

Now spending lots of money on cars, boats, rv's, motorcycles, etc. is not my thing. Might as well throw money down the toilet.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:23 AM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:

Another symptom of a disposable society. I've seen it all my life and never understood it. Who gives a damn what color a stove is? A stove is to cook food. The color doesn't enhance or hamper its primary functionality. But that's not the way most people think. I wouldn't let it get to me, if I were you.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:10 AM

253 posts, read 557,950 times
It's so funny to see people get so uppity about other people's spending choices, does it really affect you personally. If someone makes the bare minimum and is spending on wants not needs then no doubt they will see the error of their ways over time and deal with the consequences.

On the other end of this it's pretty funny to hear people generalize that people in higher positions who make more money are more careful with their earnings....that's not always true, didn't your parents teach you it's wrong to assume and generalize?? lol

Old 03-16-2012, 11:44 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I'm amazed that anyone would spend money on overpriced designer purses, clothes, shoes.

Maybe, in part, that is because of your personal, financial situation. For someone who makes a very comfortable living, spending a few hundred bucks on a luxury item from time to time may not seem like that big of a deal.

And, again, as others have said, different people have different takes on the value of certain items, especially higher end items. For example, I would never spend money on a luxury car and I will continue to drive my 11-12 year old Honda until the point where I need to buy a new vehicle. But by the same token, if I need to go buy a new suit, I have no issue spending the money on a quality, handcrafted suit as opposed to a polyester, off the rack item at Target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
If people have so much money to throw away, it is indeed a sad thing that they don't donate some of that cash to the arts, charities, etc.

How do you know what types of charitable contributions "they" make?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It really doesn't matter if they spend the money on clothing or donate to a charity. Both are equally good as long as the money keeps moving. It's when money sits still that is problematic.

Exactly. We go out for doinner and / or drinks once or twice a week, usually on the weekends with friends. By going out and spending money at these places with other patrons, we are helping those establishments stay in business and continue to employ people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
Again, not a justification: we don't have LV luggage, but all of our Bally, Cole Haan, and Ferragamo luggage are carry-ons, and they still look good after hundreds of trips abroad.

Once again, one gets what one pays for. There was a time when I traveled almost every week for work. When I started, I had a cheap carry-on I bought for maybe $50 and it lasted me about all of 6 months. I replaced that with a carry-on that cost about $300.00 - that went through years of constant travel and looks barely used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Again, their money not mine...

But, for me... talking about what amazes me on what others spend on...
"I" would never buy into an HOA subdivided property that the homeowner have to pay the increasing HOA fee (yr by yr; makes sense why they will increase too due to gas nowadays; landscaper more expensive, to fill the pool fees went up due to gas etc..).
That fee is compulsory, it is a fee that the home owner have to pay added unto their mortgage & taxes...

Once again, depends on the value one feels that they receive for the money paid. Our community has an HOA (our dues have not gone up in the past 4 years, btw) and our dues pay for not only maintenance of our community pool and common areas, but also pays to have all of our yardwork / landscaping done, as well as our fees for trash removal and for our monthly water bills. So we pay an HOA fee, but never have to pay a water bill and I never have to trim a hedge or mow a blade of grass (not only do I not not need to purchase/maintain/replace yard equipment, it leaves me with more free time for things that I enjoy) - that's a pretty good deal in my book.

Quote:
So, no, people who make less money do not spend the most. How would that even be possible?

Factor in income taxes and it is fairly clear that they do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's totally worth is to not be constantly annoyed when you look at something. When you spend the money to buy a house, and spend a lot of time in it, it better make you happy.

Exactly! When we bought our current house - it was brand new, so we picked out everything that went in it, from the appliance right down to the doorknobs. We're going to be there for some time - so we wanted it the way we wanted it.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:55 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

shoes should not cost more than $20!
I have to disagree with you on this issue because I have bones out of alignment in both feet, a very high arch and other issues with my feet so I spend a lot for these boots:

Wilderness Men's Hiking Boot with Vibram Sole Technology - Merrell.com

Last time I bought 2 pair they were $250.00 a pair, now up to $300.00 but I bought those two pair 9 years ago and they are both still going strong and they get worn every day for many hours each day. These truly are a necessity for me.

But that big screen TV that I occasionally hanker for and could easily afford....well I can't justify replacing the 24 year old set I have since it works just fine.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:10 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so im supposed to have ugly appliances just because the ugly appliance works? hmmm, i dont think so. if i was struggling to make ends meet, i wouldnt have much choice and id keep the working appliance. i guess id also have to try to find a house that has appliances that meet my taste. i am not struggling, so ill get rid of a working appliance in favor of something more attractive.
I think the key issue is how you get rid of the ugly appliances. If you sell them it might make some sense, but just to throw them away ...... nothing more wasteful than that. It makes my blood boil, even if it's something as simple as a toaster.

I still remember from years ago, a sister-in-law who threw out a juicer just because "we don't have the space for it". Really? half a cubic foot, and she couldn't find any space anywhere for it, so she just trashed it?

But if you don't like a useful working appliance, either sell it or even give it to someone who will use it, don't just add to the landfill problem.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:36 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I think the key issue is how you get rid of the ugly appliances. If you sell them it might make some sense, but just to throw them away ...... nothing more wasteful than that. It makes my blood boil, even if it's something as simple as a toaster.

I still remember from years ago, a sister-in-law who threw out a juicer just because "we don't have the space for it". Really? half a cubic foot, and she couldn't find any space anywhere for it, so she just trashed it?

But if you don't like a useful working appliance, either sell it or even give it to someone who will use it, don't just add to the landfill problem.
im not sure why it gets you so angry. i paid for it, i can throw it away. how much effort should someone put in selling or giving away their unwanted stuff?

Old 03-16-2012, 02:53 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
OP: Let us know where your friend is getting rid of her appliances.. maybe one of us who is a local will go dumpster diving and take those appliances.. I hate to see them go to waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living