Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 11:50 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,802 times

Advertisements

I wish I could have a clothesline here. Who knows CC, maybe we'll end up in the same area of the sticks someday.

I was a vegetarian for 38 years and am now a vegan. I am still figuring out what to eat, as no more eggs and milk!

I got into the habit of buying Amy's frozen stuff, and these other vegan chicken and beef-type things that cost 5 bucks a bag. I buy them because they don't have a lot of crap in them, unlike some other veggie burgers, etc.

I usually end up eating the whole bag at dinner. I have no idea what meat/fish/chicken costs anymore, so maybe my cost is cheap to you guys One Amy's doesn't usually fill me up, so I have to make a side.

However, it seems expensive to me for every night. So I have to look into other ways of eating that don't involve just beans , rice and are still cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 03:32 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,195 times
ByeByeLW, you could make a big pot of vegetable soup or a wonderful veggie stir fry. We eat meat here, but I eat less than the size of my fist. I prefer smaller portions of meat and I fill my plate with veggies. I make veggie stir fry at least twice a month, without any meat!

Frugal today because I stayed home instead of going to the store. Need to go tomorrow to get some meds and a pillow and then I am done and can sit back and enjoy the festivities.

Talk of clotheslines... we live in a huge double wide mobile home. We have three bedrooms, two baths, kitchen, dining room, living room, laundry room and one great big room that we just call the great hall. It has a couch and chairs and three clotheslines strung across the room. I have a working dryer, but much prefer to hang my clothes. We do get a ton of sunshine in the room and with the windows open (even for a bit in the winter) the clothes smell like they have been hung outdoors.
I've been hanging laundry since I was old enough to do so (standing on a step stool!)... just seems like a normal part of life to me.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:47 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
ByeBye, I went vegan for three years and my health suffered greatly. YMMV

Old 12-25-2013, 09:57 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,929 times
We bought gift certificates at a 30 % discount. Can use them for tips, too.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:15 AM

278 posts, read 308,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
My GF's parents from Iowa are here for the weekend. They pay for everything usually. Not sure if it is considered frugal technically, but whatever. I offered to pay....they said it was fine. I'm not going to pass up free anything!
That's not being frugal...that's being a mooch. I dumped the last guy I dated after he admitted "I used to have a big problem mooching off people". Aka "I've never had any pride, self-respect, or thoughtfulness toward others". Sorry if that sounds harsh but try to spend less rather than spend on someone else's dime.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:18 AM

Stayed home, cooked breakfast from scratcch. Composted the food scraps out to the big pine tree where the racoons are holed up, they eat the 'good' stuff. Doing a small load of laundry which I will hang dry.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:31 AM

278 posts, read 308,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I saw the loaf, asked the baker how much...he told me and i frowned and he said, "I can sell you half a loaf for half price"...
There are still legit Bakers? Wow. Cool.
I havent seen any bakeies lately except Great Harvest (a chain).
Wonder if I could get half a loaf.

My frugality-
I ate the same thing two days in a row for dinner to keep leafy greens from being wasted - they wilt so fast when you live alone :/

Love this thread - keep those ideas coming

Old 12-25-2013, 10:52 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
purchased a few pairs of leather boots, they will last longer...paid a bit more but i call it frugal

Old 12-25-2013, 12:09 PM

Ooh, new shoes, DO tell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-26-2013, 08:42 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
We are having a frozen lasagna that I got on sale for dinner.
You're not heating it up first? That really IS frugal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living