Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2013, 05:23 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times

Advertisements

By going to a store that's closing in a week. Not much for sale but it was half off. Not my choice, I wish the store were staying open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 06:07 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,885,931 times
This week I packed up my gifts to my parents for mailing...then realized that mailing them was really expensive, almost as much as the gifts themselves! Took them all back ...then went online and bought the same gifts...with free shipping I sent them more stuff for less money! I joined Amazon Prime for a one month trial (made a note on my calendar to cancel 3 weeks from now) and also bought/shipped my nephews present there. Also bought clothes for my mom at Kohl's.com so she can exchange at the store if needed, And I got back $10 in Kohl's cash.

Yesterday I unpacked a box of books I had bought at a publishers warehouse sale 3 years ago for maybe $2 each. wrapped some up to give to my kids, took 5 of them to the used bookstore and got a $15 gift card. handed in another gift card I had for $23 and had her give me two back for $19 each. So my kids will get to go to the used book store and buy what they want.

DD13 wanted a purse with a chain strap...went to the fabric store and bought a pattern so she can sew her own. she'll also get cash to spend in the store on her supplies. (pleather!) my mom was throwing away a chain belt we can turn into the strap.

it's a lean christmas when you're giving your kids hand me downs

Old 12-21-2013, 08:10 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,605,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
A $10 tip for the entire year? (or in addition to regular tipping?)
$20 is a normal tip around here for paper delivery, given at Christmas. Not sure when I would tip him any other time of the year. Do you do it differently in your area?

Old 12-21-2013, 08:13 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
I cooked lunch at home today after I had already decided to go out for lunch.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:20 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
I shaved my legs with $1.00 Sauve brand hair conditioner.

It actually works better than shaving cream and is MUCH cheaper per shave than using Edge like I used to

Old 12-22-2013, 12:54 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,759,139 times
Cooked breakfast at home. Warmed up the workshop, helped DH clean up and organize a bit.

With the weather so mild we took a chance on getting one last tractor inside for dismantle. After clearing some snow and spreading some sand,we were able to hook a Cub original to the plow blade and drag her out of the shed.

That's the easy part.

I got the jack and a pice of plywood under the rear axle and jacked her up, DH removed the flat tire and reinstalled a good one. Got her down on the ground and pushed up the hill to the ramp entrance to the shop. We couldn't get her to budge any further.

I grabbed a six foot four by four which stretched across the floor of the shop, had just enough to catch the end of the board on the base of two opposing toolboxes. Gradually we were able to hand winch her in the rest of the way with a come along.

So now DH has a winter project, a sense of purpose rather than feeling useless and disabled because of his hip, and I get a place to stash the lawn mower. It's a good day!

Old 12-22-2013, 04:35 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,475,810 times
I stayed home, used no gas and spent no money. We are having a frozen lasagna that I got on sale for dinner. The kids and I are watching Christmas DVD's on the tv.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:46 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,258 times
I stayed home today, too. I wanted to go look for a specific bird to photograph, but then I would most likely spend 20 bucks between gas and wanting to get a snack.

Tomorrow I have to do errands, and will pass by the likely bird sites. So I will look then.

I have been bringing my lunch to work for the past month. However , I have visited the food truck about 6 times.

So I saved about 200 bucks by bringing lunch (including water in refillable containers ;I work outdoors)but spent about 30 bucks on the food truck.

I haven't stopped for coffee en route to work for 2 months

I don't always use the Keurig machine. I did, however, find cups for under 50 cents each. Five boxes of 12 cups for 25 bucks. Just think-60 cups of coffee from DD would be about 120 bucks.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:59 PM

306 posts, read 416,319 times
I also stayed home all day. Since it was mild out I did some yard stuff. For lunch had some potato cauliflower soup I had frozen last month using the last of my garden cauliflower. It was as excellent tasting today as it was back when I made the batch of soup, made even better by a slice of home made bread. I am spending this evening deciding my goals for next year - I would like to make more of my food from scratch, or at least make better choices on food purchases. I don't have storage so I need to be smart about what I make vs. purchase. I would like to put in raised gardens for next year so I can expand my garden. Not a lot of area but I think raised beds will allow more productive plants.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:40 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,759,139 times
hung up a load of wash and dried it, then spun in the dryer to soften for ten minutes. I am hoping this will lower my electric bill, so I'm going to do laundry this way until the next bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living