Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 07:07 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,292,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
This may come across hard nose (which I am not. I am a raging liberal very concerned for people in need). However, the OP has a propensity of posting many threads on different forums crying the "poor me" syndrome. In actuality, you own two homes worth about $500,000 and your have been referred to as the woman with a thousand excuses.

The OP has gotten all the cost savings recommendations conceivable from hundreds of helpful posters on multiple CD forums. She just continues to post how she can not manage (since she lost part of her child support). Turns out your income isn't quite as low as you would have people believe either, and you claim to live in an expensive area (and yet moving is out of question as well- and there are no cheaper houses to be found where you are) You drive a newer car that you can't sell and you can't sell your other house because there is a tenant in it.

I am sorry, but I suspect you were not and will not ever be food stamp eligible.

No one will be able to give you any advise, because you either reject it, or claim you have done it all ready. Why you feel the need to try and make people feel sorry for you needs examining. I don't enjoy calling people out like this, but your problem appears to go deeper than what you purport on here and most important, you are not being totally truthful here and you are misleading a lot of people.
I think that everyone would agree that she needs to sell at least that one house to get out from under it. We don't know the terms of the agreement with the friend, but this is a business decision. That house either needs to go on the market in the spring when the buyers start looking again or the friend needs to purchase it. The OP is not in a good position to be a landlord. If this thing with the friend falls through, the OP is left with a house that may need some freshening up or has deferred maintenance.

The OP probably does need to sell the house she is living in too because she can't afford the basic day to day upkeep and maintenance on it and it apparently needs major repair so the utility bills are not so high. I'm not sure having a roommate would help if she can't afford to fix the heating and cooling problem. A roommate might not accept those living conditions.

I don't know about the newer car. If she is still paying it off, she may have to pay a large balance to pay off no matter what so trying to sell and get something cheaper may not be feasible. If the car is paid for, then she has a newer more reliable car she can nurse through several years. I think the damage may have already been done as far as this purchase goes.

I don't think the OP is being untruthful or misleading people. It's just that she wants something that maybe isn't feasible at this time due to the constraints she has put upon herself and local opportunity. It is hard to let go of goals you have for yourself. Life is a matter of choices. The OP has some hard ones to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 09:22 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Are you low income but still a homeowner- how did you do it?
See #4

Old 12-04-2015, 09:48 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I called Radio Shack about a digital receiver. They wanted $78 for one.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
Ebay. Craigslist. Walmart. Check around.

Radio Shack is a dying company and therefore they overinflate their prices on nearly everything. Don't go there.
My ex just donated one to Goodwill, she no longer needed it because she gave in and signed up for Dish. My ex-MIL has two that she doesn't use (her 1980s TV died and she decided she could live without one) that I'm sure she would give to a friend. There are unused digital converters all over the place, if you want one just start passing the word among your friends, family, and co-workers and you will likely have offers for a few before nightfall.

That being said, I don't think this would help the OP as she stated that she lives in a rural area out of range of broadcast TV.

But that wouldn't stop her from hitting a bunch of yard sales and buying VHS tapes for a little bit of nothing.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:36 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
I have never even heard of a digital receiver.. Googling it now.

Old 12-04-2015, 12:10 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
The actual name is a digital converter box. Like this: Amazon.com: Analog-to-Digital (DTV) Converters: Electronics see it as a good investment to pick one up.

Here's a slightly higher one, about $40 total: Amazon.com: WHY PAY FOR CABLE? Use this Digital Converter Box to view and record FULL HD digital channels for FREE (Instant or Scheduled Recording, DVR, 1080P HDTV, HDMI Output, 7 Day Program Guide, Media Player): Televisions & Video

I got one used for my friend on ebay, along with remote and an extended long range antenna. He said it pulls about 30 clear channels. Local news, movie channels, kids stuff, learning/nova channel, etc. It depends on your area, but no matter where you live in the US you will get channels. I got both the box & antenna for under $20 on ebay with free shipping.

You won't get HBO, but plenty of news/entertainment for next to nothing..

Old 12-04-2015, 12:20 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post

That being said, I don't think this would help the OP as she stated that she lives in a rural area out of range of broadcast TV.
Long range antenna could be needed and would make it work. Antennas are tons better these days compared to the antennas of the past.

I also second finding movies/DVDs at sales too. My local library even let's you check out DVDs for pennies a night for newer releases. Lots of public libraries have a movie section now...

Old 12-04-2015, 03:28 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
You won't get HBO, but plenty of news/entertainment for next to nothing.
Highly dependent on where you live.
We got three channels with the converter box.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:21 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,371,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You need to read further. Most all threads (though start out sympathetic) end in the same manner, with helpful well meaning posters eventually getting fed up. Some even suggesting she should be banned from further posting. Not feeling thankful

There are posts by OP stating herself:
She is not financially needing.
She has taken her two kids on two week cruses
She flips houses for income
She owns two cars, one being a newer one.
As you already know, she has taken on two fixer upper homes with mortgages totaling nearly $500,000
with a $32,000-$35,000 income (it changes) with no savings.

Other posts.
She is on welfare, food stamps, and receives child support.
She and her friends go to bars at least 3 or 4 nights a month to drink and party. (but no money for heat or garbage)
Her focus seems to be on finding a new man to come in and save the day. However, She is not interested in a man unless he is into guns, cars and accepts her wild side.
She can't afford heat this winter because she can't afford a new stove Why is everything so expensive?
She can't move because of the kids, she can't move to apartment or condo because of all the animals. She can't handle snow and driveway, but won't consider alternatives.
Most recent: She can't afford her garbage bill.
On this tread, she can't cut cable because of kids, on a previous post last month, she states she does not have cable, so there is nothing to cut. So many different stories.

Do you really think all these suggestions are helping her, or ones she hasn't heard a thousand times before. I myself made at least a half a dozen to her, before eventually realizing something was wrong in Denmark.

Last edited by modhatter; 12-04-2015 at 06:20 PM..

Old 12-04-2015, 11:39 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Selling a house takes money up front, especially if you no longer have rental income.

We own a house in Austin that is currently rented, and has been for the last 5 years, back when the market was cold. The lease expires in May, and we plan to put it on the market then. However, it will probably take at least 3 months, even in a hot market, for a house to list, sell and close. In the meantime we have to pay the mortgage, which is no longer covered by the rental income. That and utilities, you must keep the AC, lights, etc on to show, lawn maintenance will have to be hired out, it will be expensive!

Also, we will need to do some sprucing up, regardless of how good a condition the renters left it in. New paint, carpet, are basic minimums, along with some basic landscaping, etc. We figure we need at least 3 months of the house's expenses saved, or go negative. We spent the last year repairing our credit, and don't want to blow it now! Our kids are now living on their own, and dh and I live in a small apartment to keep expenses down. We're basically saving up to sell a house And that's in a hot market, with a lot of equity!

Don't think because someone owns a house worth x amount, they have that at their disposal

Old 12-05-2015, 09:57 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post

You are a digital receiver whenever someone gives you the finger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living