Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 06:45 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times

Advertisements

What have you done for yourself lately or learned how to do lately to save money?

Tonight my husband and I made beef fajitas. This is a new meal for us to make because I wasn't sure what meat to use. I have a little tweaking to do. The meal turned out good. The savings were worth it.

To eat out, it would cost us (for a family of five) at our favorite restaurant:

fajita platter $15
drink $2.50

x5 people = $87.50
20% tip = $17.50

Our cost to make the meal was around $20 plus tax.

skirt steak $10
tortillas $4
bell pepper $1
onion $1
spices >$1
avocado $.50
lime $.50
sour cream $1
tea $.50
cheese $1
rice $.50
beans $.50

Obviously, we could have had more options at the restaurant that possibly would have either increased or decreased the amount of the bill. I could have easily have added chips and salsa or a mixed drink here at home. I didn't want the calories.

Since were buckling down on budget, we'll still eat out once in a while. We'll reduce costs by making a trip out for trip out for dessert or a lunch trip instead of supper to take advantage of a less expensive menu.

Last edited by Sarahsez; 06-05-2016 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: rice and beans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 06:50 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Kudos to you!

We have felt the need to buckle down once in a while, and the pride of finding a better, cheaper way of doing things is always nice.
BOL to you!

Old 06-05-2016, 06:59 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
I have taught myself how to cut my own hair using YouTube videos. I started with just the bangs and front layers several years ago, and now can give myself a full haircut. It is nearly identical to one I would get in salons. It only saves me a couple of hundred bucks per year, but I like the feeling of being able to do it myself. Of course there are some styles that this would be impossible for, but it works for mine.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:03 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Good question and glad to see you are taking on some new recipes!!

Here is some money saving tasks I do:

1: Make my own house cleaners
2: Automotive repair- brakes- oil changes, Basic auto care
3: Sew.
4: Belong to a co-op for veg garden. (15$ gets alotta food!)
5: Utilize a food warehouse for bulk items- My neighbor and I split the items and use coupons!
6: Summer/fall, Utilize the fire pit for cooking/grilling.
7: Use Breads for croutons and bread crumbs in recipes. Usually our stores put bread on sale at 50-75% if its getting ready to expire, they can be cut up and used for stuffing/filling

Old 06-05-2016, 07:26 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Car and bicycle repair, home repair, cook all my own food.

I do very shoddy work....but it saves me a lot of money and I actually like doing it, most of the time.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:36 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Car and bicycle repair, home repair, cook all my own food.

I do very shoddy work....but it saves me a lot of money and I actually like doing it, most of the time.
I try not to do shoddy work, but if I can find a way to make it look good or make it work then I'm good. I taught myself to paint several years ago after buying a house with someone else's shoddy work. Now I try to avoid buying the house with the shoddy work. Not as easy as it sounds.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:53 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I cut my family's hair, give my dogs their vaccines at home (except rabies, which has to be given by a vet), home repair, car repair, cooking, cake decorating, sewing (not clothes, that's more expensive than buying used), pretty much anything I need to do, I learn to do if it's possible.

I can usually tell when I need to have something done rather than doing it myself. For example, I can do the brakes on the cars and put in an alternator or starter (hate doing a starter though). I can't fix the air conditioner myself, and I had a mechanic replace the fuel pump in the truck when it went out.

As far as bicycle repair, I fix most of our bikes myself, but I take my bike to the shop for anything more than a flat tire. I bought my bike new and it wasn't cheap, so I like to have the bike shop take care of repairs or adjustments.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:56 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Thing is, it's fun to learn how to do things and then see the awesome finished product. Sense of accomplishment, as well.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:18 AM

4,188 posts, read 3,401,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I have taught myself how to cut my own hair using YouTube videos. I started with just the bangs and front layers several years ago, and now can give myself a full haircut. It is nearly identical to one I would get in salons. It only saves me a couple of hundred bucks per year, but I like the feeling of being able to do it myself. Of course there are some styles that this would be impossible for, but it works for mine.

What kind of style do you wear? I would love for my hair to look less like a rat chewed it off while I was sleeping.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:07 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I breastfeed and make baby food versus buying formula and purchasing jarred/pouch food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living