Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 09:00 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,146,402 times

Advertisements

I see it all the time.

Person A is frugal: you are cheap, a penny pincher, you need to live your live, you cant take it with you when you die etc.

I agree to live your life,as you cant take it with you when you die, but I have always been more of a basic lifestyle living and having a rainy day fund just in case.

Person B spends like nothing: Has a bunch of credit card debt, store card debt, massive car loans and has no savings at all.

I know many Person B's. When they go out to eat, its nothing for them to spend $50+ a person while a Person A meal is $10-20, they have been paying off that same credit card for years, they have a $500+ car payment, owe on store credits, have a poor credit score, take expensive vacations and dont have any sort of emergency fund or savings and live paycheck to paycheck.

Why is it Person A will always get ridiculed for being cheap and pretty nothing is ever said to Person B for being in debt, as they are living life to the fullest, but are in debt up to their eyes and if they lost their job, they would be homeless in a month.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:03 AM

45,454 posts, read 60,666,498 times
Oh come on. Both types get ridiculed. You just don't notice it because you're attuned to seeing the first.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:09 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Person A gets ridiculed by Person B so that Person B can feel better about himself and his stupid spending.

Person C lives in moderation and silently rolls his eyes at both of them but has better things to do than mock people.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:10 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,414,093 times
Quote:
When they go out to eat, its nothing for them to spend $50+ a person while a Person A meal is $10-20,
Are they all eating together? How would they even be able to compare? Does a person who is willing to spend $50 a person on a meal really go to the same place as a person willing to spend $20? I certainly wouldn't. If this person were actually frugal (and not being cheap) then they'd be eating at home, not substituting water for drinks so their meal is $2 a person less.

And why are we even talking about one restaurant meal when a car payment is $400 a month or rent is $1500? That's where the real differences are felt.

And the answer is because we live in a capitalist society and having money to 'blow' on public things is seen as a sign of success.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:25 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,604,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I see it all the time.

Person A is frugal: you are cheap, a penny pincher, you need to live your live, you cant take it with you when you die etc.

I agree to live your life,as you cant take it with you when you die, but I have always been more of a basic lifestyle living and having a rainy day fund just in case.

Person B spends like nothing: Has a bunch of credit card debt, store card debt, massive car loans and has no savings at all.

I know many Person B's. When they go out to eat, its nothing for them to spend $50+ a person while a Person A meal is $10-20, they have been paying off that same credit card for years, they have a $500+ car payment, owe on store credits, have a poor credit score, take expensive vacations and dont have any sort of emergency fund or savings and live paycheck to paycheck.

Why is it Person A will always get ridiculed for being cheap and pretty nothing is ever said to Person B for being in debt, as they are living life to the fullest, but are in debt up to their eyes and if they lost their job, they would be homeless in a month.
Because, in the words of Bowling for Soup, "High school never ends!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrxI_euTX4A

Old 04-05-2017, 09:28 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,410,034 times
Quote:
Frugal people don't care what spendthrifts think. That comes with the territory. Most frugal people I know don't rub others noses in their lifestyle either, they fly under the radar.

Spendthrifts are warned all the time, they just don't choose to listen. They're happy until they're not...

Old 04-05-2017, 09:45 AM

13,133 posts, read 21,027,138 times
There is a big difference between a frugal person and being cheap. Many people are just plain old cheap and won't spend because they don't want to part with that penny, which has nothing to do with being frugal. Why not say a homeless person who eats out of the trash and sleeps under the bridge is Frugal and not a bum? Wouldn't a person who wipes their butt with their hands and not spend on toilet paper being frugal? How about not washing with soap? Isn't that saving money so they must be frugal? Just because you are not spending money doesn't mean you are being frugal if that savings is just so you don't spend a penny. It's like those addicts who do the extreme couponing who have 1,000 tubes of toothpaste, 20,000 baby wipes, 250 hair color packages, 500 bottle of toilet bowl cleaner and 750 oven cleaner cans but not a loaf of bread in the house. That is not frugal but a sickness. Never confuse a frugal person with someone who is just down right being cheap.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:47 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,353,643 times
Yes, I think a lot of people don't realize or want to realize the difference between cheap and frugal.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:49 AM

14,961 posts, read 12,173,633 times
Quote:
I see it all the time.

And guess who Person B will go running to when he needs money?

Old 04-05-2017, 10:13 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,298,975 times
The cheap person probably hear about it a bit more because he/she will usually do something that leaves a negative impression or impact on an individual. The glutton hurts society as a whole. Society picks up the tab so while we all get hurt it's by a faceless being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living