Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 03:21 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i have good interactions with just about everyone i deal with. i know that i am unique in my approach to people (very positive, friendly and joking around) but i dont think its necessary to be me. .
No, it's not necessary to be judgmental at all.

And a customer shouldn't have to joke around or humor a store employee to be treated fairly, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 07:08 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
That seems like kind of a backward, inefficient way to look at it. If I'm spending almost an hour and a half driving to the store and back you can bet your biffie I'm going to minimize the amount of time spent at the store as much as possible.

Money comes and goes. Time just goes.
Bippy.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:48 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,028 times
I don't know why you're hating on her bc it was only $1. If the store overcharged you $1, would you not care? It's her money.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:36 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
No, it's not necessary to be judgmental at all.

And a customer shouldn't have to joke around or humor a store employee to be treated fairly, either.
that is why i said "you dont have to be me." if you are just a pleasant enough person, that is what you will get back.

but my wife has told me that she has started to imitate my phone manner and i guarantee it works out better for her conversations. so it doesnt hurt to be more than just pleasant.

looking back its kind of interesting how you put it. i dont feel like i am "humoring a store employee." i enjoy having good interactions with people. it humors me just as much as it does them.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 07-24-2018 at 10:12 AM..

Old 07-24-2018, 10:02 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,733,589 times
I started multi-quoting, but there were too many. I worked customer service with two grocery chains for a total of 10 years. This was through high school, college, and in the early years of my teaching career to supplement my income. This is probably not going to be a popular post, especially with the couponers, lol.

As someone mentioned, no one has to accept a coupon. Stores can refuse coupons altogether or deny any particular coupon. There isn't a law saying they must accept them.

Those coupons that print out of the machine at the register are Catalina coupons. They will always have the store logo where they were printed (unless there is an error). Some will say Store Coupon, some will say Manufacturer Coupon. The MAJORITY of the retailers will ONLY accept coupons with their own logo on them. (more on that later)

Be careful of advice you read on couponing websites and blogs. If I had $1 for every incorrect couponing fact I've read over the years, I'd be rich.

Please don't assume your cashier is ignorant or difficult because they are refusing your coupon. If you throw a fit, often the manager will accept it, but also note they are really only doing it because losing a dollar or two is not worth arguing with you. They basically just want to get rid of you because you are being rude. It is rarely because you are actually right.

Now, why are coupons refused? Coupon fraud is the biggest reason. Internet and Catalina coupon are easily faked and altered. A store cannot verify a Catalina coupon from a different retailer, which is why they make it easy and refuse ALL of them from other retailers. (Will the manufacturer reimburse them if another retailer is printed? Yes. But ONLY IF THE COUPON IS VALID.) Busy grocery stores- I'm talking the ones selling $500,000ish on weekdays, around $1,000,000 on weekends (non-holiday weeks) and are not super-stores like Walmart selling everything, but a true grocery, can easily lose more than a thousand dollars per day with coupon fraud. I worked in a upper-middle class store for 8 years (the other 2 years were in a very wealthy area and we didn't get many true couponers). The couponers (I still know some by name and I worked there from 1999-2007) would typically target new cashiers. They would pass off extra coupons, expired coupons, items that were smaller sizes, etc... New cashiers would often hit the generic coupon key if it didn't scan. 99% of the coupons will work when scanned if they are used properly. Since I was good at my job, and I of course knew all of my regulars, I would send the cashier on break when they were in line and ring them up myself. They hated that. Two carts of groceries would cost $10 with a new cashier. With me, they'd void off all of the incorrect items, walk out with less than a cart and spend a lot more. These people are the reason that stores have to have strict policies. Just like everything else- people ruin it for everybody. *Not all extreme couponers scam the stores, or attempt to. But for every legitimate couponer, there are 2-3 scammers.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:26 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
My advice is, if you work as a cashier, you should just accept that part of your job is to deal with coupons. Most people using coupons are honest and not trying to "scam" you. Some cashiers even get angry when they realize a coupon is perfectly valid and they have to apply it to the purchase. It is an anti-customer attitude.

If you don't like it, look for another line of work. Being a cashier doesn't pay that well and it's not something to do long term, anyway.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:28 PM

1,289 posts, read 938,405 times
Very interesting jaynarie. Thanks.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:16 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,701 times
In my recent experience in using coupons, the store scans the coupon and the system automatically picks up the item you are using the coupon on and enters the deduction. If it doesn't then there's a problem. Wal-Mart will tell me, if it doesn't scan, we can't take it. But other times they will call customer svc and they will look at the item and the coupon and enter it manually. Seems it's up to their discretion. I don't' argue with them, I buy the item anyway, and use the coupon elsewhere, as it's usually something I buy frequently.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:45 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
In my recent experience in using coupons, the store scans the coupon and the system automatically picks up the item you are using the coupon on and enters the deduction. If it doesn't then there's a problem. Wal-Mart will tell me, if it doesn't scan, we can't take it. But other times they will call customer svc and they will look at the item and the coupon and enter it manually. Seems it's up to their discretion. I don't' argue with them, I buy the item anyway, and use the coupon elsewhere, as it's usually something I buy frequently.

Being a cashier at Walmart for 8 years I have dealt with, probably, thousands of coupons. Most of them work fine and there's a 'prompt' that tells you if they don't. If it doesn't the item has to be checked and it has to match EXACTLY what the coupon calls for. Sometimes it does but still won't scan so it's put in manually. Sometimes it'll be just ONE word that makes a difference, especially with hair products. I have gone ahead and input a coupon anyway, even if it doesn't match exactly, and nobody ever got on me about it. Walmart accepts manufacturer coupons AND coupons from the other local grocery stores. They don't accept coupons on cell phones unless it is Walmart related. Or if the online price is less than the in store price. The one most people miss is when they have to buy two of the item to use the coupon and only bought one.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:47 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
My advice is, if you work as a cashier, you should just accept that part of your job is to deal with coupons. Most people using coupons are honest and not trying to "scam" you. Some cashiers even get angry when they realize a coupon is perfectly valid and they have to apply it to the purchase. It is an anti-customer attitude.

If you don't like it, look for another line of work. Being a cashier doesn't pay that well and it's not something to do long term, anyway.

I don't understand this at all. Why would it make them "angry"? It takes 1/2 a second to scan a coupon so no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living