Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 06:27 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,401 times

Advertisements

Did she buy it to rent it out? Maybe she was just advertising for renters with people she already knows and trusts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 08:11 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,196 times
unfortunately, I often do think that "people with big houses do it to show off", especially if its significantly over 2000 sqft. I don't see why a normal size family will need something that big. But it could be because I am bitter that I don't have the fancy house. However, I can totally see why someone would buy oceanfront property. that is dream

Old 08-15-2018, 10:45 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Different people have different motives for what they do.

I have a small pension. So after I retired I bought bare forest land and we built our retirement home. We have waterfrontage on a nice river, but this is an area where small 2bdrm homes sell for $30 - $40k.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:00 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
My neighbor is a nice guy. But his house is on the market for an exorbitant price over what he paid <3 years,ago the month before we bought ours.

He thinks he's got the best house on the block. Well, after 3 months on the market in a hot market, at the real estate hottest time of any year, it isn't selling.

Gee I wonder why.

He wants a status house >3000sqft, in an exclusive area, and is trying to make his outsized for our neighborhood house foot the bill it's only 1800 sqft. In a desirable but not exclusive neighborhood. It wont work.

Too many people are too concerned with what others are doing.

LOL!

Old 08-15-2018, 11:09 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
unfortunately, I often do think that "people with big houses do it to show off", especially if its significantly over 2000 sqft. I don't see why a normal size family will need something that big.

Do you buy things to please yourself or to show off?

There's your answer.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:09 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Definitely the big "J".
A lot of people brag about how they saved a nickel.
Who cares? If you can afford nice things why not. Life is not just for being a tightwad or living under someone else's jealous judgements.
Maybe the lady will invite some of the ex coworkers to come visit, well maybe not the one that made the comment.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:13 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
unfortunately, I often do think that "people with big houses do it to show off", especially if its significantly over 2000 sqft. I don't see why a normal size family will need something that big. But it could be because I am bitter that I don't have the fancy house. However, I can totally see why someone would buy oceanfront property. that is dream
By the same token 2000 sq ft can be excessive. My family grew up in a 1300 sq ft house so back then I could have said if you live in a bigger house you are just showing off.
I'm a single person and bought a 5200. Sq ft house. I did it because I enjoy it and could easily afford it. Working hard and not enjoying the benefits is worth it imho.
I have lots of room and any of my friends and family from California are welcome to stay if they. Visit Atlanta

Old 08-15-2018, 11:26 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Quote:
We've bought multiple harbor and oceanfront condos (2000+ sf) because we truly enjoy living on the water - There's only two of us, plus company, but, we like having more rooms for office, sewing, guests and other. Not sure who we might be accused of "showing-off" for. BTW, we know many folks who own more expensive homes away from the water, but, don't think they're trying to 'show-off.'

Old 08-15-2018, 01:49 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So we had a retirement party at my job today. Nice lady (I didn't know her well) worked 40 years in my division but in another building. we always chatted about Ocean city NJ which is one of our favorite places.

Anyhoo, of course talk turned to what she'll do in retirement, she mentioned that she just purchased an Oceanfront condo in OC and chit chat went on.

Well at lunch a coworker who I do know fairly well said, You know "jean" brought that condo just to show off.

What the heck?? so I asked "what do you mean" and got people who buy oceanfront condo's do it for the "status".

At first I just kinda thought "ok, low blood sugar has kicked in" but then I got to thinking, I do read that line of thinking a lot. People who have big houses, or if someone buys a luxury car.

This is just my brain rattling around. Do we really think people who purchase luxury items do so for the "status" or could a little bit of the green monster be rearing it's ugly head.

lol, I did admit to jealousy, I would love, love love to have a place at the beach. it's my retirement dream but I'd like to think I'd still be happy for someone who achieved their dream.
its jealousy. you buy a place on the ocean because its awesome to have a place on the ocean. you buy a big house because its awesome to have a big house. what status does it give you exactly? wow, suddenly people think you have a lot of money. that may be somewhat satisfying to some people but it isnt exactly satisfying enough to spend $1 million on a house if you cant afford and wont enjoy.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 08-15-2018 at 02:03 PM..

Old 08-16-2018, 04:49 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Your coworker is the one who is jealous. I'd be happy for anyone who got what they have always waned. My SIL just retired and her husband is retiring in October. They bought a house in the Villages in FL. She is bouncing off the walls excited. It wouldn't be my choice but I am thrilled for her. The rest of the family thinks she is bragging As we get older it becomes harder to get "that" excited over something and I love seeing people happy(unless I don't like them)

In general some people do things to show off, some people do things because it is the "in" thing, and some people do it because they like it. I've known all, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living