Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 05:25 PM

265 posts, read 155,566 times

Advertisements

So where do you get your angle from? It's just "my name is joe, I'm 'frugal'.I wear ratty shoes, drive a beater , work a whatever job, and read magazines when I'm on the head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 05:40 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
OP, you're coming off as such a snob here in this thread, so I went back and read your recent posting history.

In fact, you are incredibly frugal and drive a very old car, and have spent most of your life sleeping on terrible mattresses on the floor or on a futon frame, you own IKEA furniture, and you've underspent on your apartment.

So you're not at all a snob!

In reality, it seems shoes are your one "luxury" you allow yourself? And that's somehow an area where you feel like you should "buy up" where in all other areas of your life you are willing to live very cheaply - using your own term - like a pauper? And you look down on people who don't also prioritize shoes instead of a nicer place to live, a nicer car to drive, sleeping in an actual bed with a mattress and box springs, etc?

So unlike how you come off in this thread, in general, you're very frugal and don't care what others think of what you've purchased/drive/live in, except shoes?

Last edited by ClaraC; 12-18-2018 at 06:00 PM..

Old 12-18-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
OP, you're coming off as such a snob here in this thread, so I went back and read your recent posting history.

In fact, you are incredibly frugal and drive a very old car, and have spent most of your life sleeping on terrible mattresses on the floor or on a futon frame, you own IKEA furniture, and you've underspent on your apartment.

So you're not at all a snob!

In reality, it seems shoes are your one "luxury" you allow yourself? And that's somehow an area where you feel like you should "buy up" where in all other areas of your life you are willing to live very cheaply - using your own term - like a pauper? And you look down on people who don't also prioritize shoes instead of a nicer place to live, a nicer car to drive, sleeping in an actual bed with a mattress and box springs, etc?

So unlike how you come off in this thread, in general, you're very frugal and don't care what others think of what you've purchased/drive/live in, except shoes?
I don't drive the car any more since it has mechanical problems, and my other car is a low mileage 5 yr old bimmer, but I still think my old car was a nice car. Despite being 20 years old it had AC, ABS, Leather, 2 tone paint, 4x4, fog lights, power everything including sun roof. Old Ford Exploreres are nice. Often some porsche cayenne or other newer SUV would park in front of it I would be like 'the only difference between my car and that one is the name and a bunch of speed and horsepower you hardly get to use."

I've been wearing cheap shoes to work in the past year. Before then work shoes I bought from Ross or Marshalls under 90 bucks if not under 70 bucks.. I do have some nice shoes too however that I wear more casually.

Most of my furn is not ikea.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
That is funny because to me, the Nike logo reeks of idiot.
What do you wear for sneakers then?

I am not a big fan of Nike but I do have some of their clothes and one pair of sneakers. I asked for tail winds for christmas years ago and they are exceptionally comfortable for running. They also look pretty good i have been told.

I would also wear those low tech ones you can get for like 50 bucks at discount stores, and was thinking of getting a pair, but I have so many sneakers already

further i have some nike dry fit shirts that I found on clearance many year ago for 13 dollars each that still look new to this day despite several sweaty gym days in and several washings.

So having said that, you're telling me some cheap walmart sneaker that is going to hurt my knees -- or I am going to buy on a leap of faith that they won't hurt my knees -- is the way to go?

Old 12-19-2018, 07:27 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raise_the_Black_Flag View Post
I am not judging anyone by just their shoes. I am judging myself and I can't imagine I am alone on this.

When I see a hick woman with cheap shoes -- she most likely is the type who goes to the barber shop to get a haircut since that is cheaper as well. At least she looks it. Further said person that I have worked with and known is nearly always a low income earner.

Maybe you are so offended by this because you are one as well? Stuff happens.
That's me! I've had my hair cut at cheap places because I discovered that stylists get kicked out of nice salons when they age or develop a noticeable health problem. You can only find them through by word-of-mouth. They're no longer getting tipped as much as Bambi the pole dancer at the strip club, but they have loyal and grateful customers.

Once you've worn really nice shoes, you know how they look and feel. You can get that at a lower price point.

I'd offer to lend you a shovel, but I can see that you have one.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:40 AM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
What kind of man cares about or even notices what sort of shoes another man is wearing?
Most white collar males in the UK, France and Italy.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:26 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Most white collar males in the UK, France and Italy.
Quite a few in the States, too.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:55 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
I don't feel weird wearing cheap shoes because i don't care what anyone else thinks about my shoes.

That's how you do it.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:08 PM

24,619 posts, read 9,449,501 times
After after high school, no one gives a damn about your shoes or you're old enough (16) to buy your own shoes.

It's a none issue. I wear the shoes I want, cheap or expensive, without any care in the world to what others think.

Old 12-25-2018, 01:49 PM

3,576 posts, read 2,196,233 times
I only wear Rockport boots and shoes because I have had problems with my feet. Plantar Fasciitis, bone spurs. Its not worth cheap shoes as you age your feet pay the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living