Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you live paycheck to paycheck ?
Yes ! We have very little in savings and almost run out of money between paydays! 113 31.92%
No, we have money in savings and hardly ever run out of spending cash between paydays. 173 48.87%
No savings, but we don't run out of money. 40 11.30%
Other. 28 7.91%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 02:05 PM

431 posts, read 1,219,464 times

Advertisements

Trying to post a poll.

Also....how often do you get paid ?

This is not a public poll, so nobody will know your answer on the poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 04:18 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,099,797 times
I voted "other" as we own our own business and don't have "paydays". A payday for us is when we have to pull $ out of the business account to cover living expenses. With the economy being in the tank, everything's slow, but we scrape by...

It's a shame that only 3% of Obama's spendulus plan is actually designated to infrastructure, regardless of the rhetoric while he was pushing for it. Infrastructure upgrades would be very good for our business (trucking related).

Old 04-01-2009, 04:40 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,696,802 times
Yep we do and its my wife's fault

Old 04-01-2009, 06:21 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,150,392 times
I have monthly income, and every two weeks income. Each set of income covers different things, and there is usually money left after those things are paid. Building our house we ended up with cc debt, so the extra goes towards that. We have a modest savings account.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
I get paid twice per month. The second paycheck goes right into the bank for savings. We live off of one paycheck and I just refinanced my mortgage so now I can even save some from the first paycheck too. Didn't always used to be that way but I worked hard to get the debt down and we live below our means.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:16 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,813 times
Nah. I have 300 in savings so....
I know it's not stellar but it isn't bad for an 18 year old college kid...it could be lower.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:24 AM

281 posts, read 1,008,702 times
We usually are down to our last $50 by the end of the pay period, but we also pay much, much more than we need to towards credit cards/loans. We're trying to pay off all our debt (besides our mortgage), which is about $70k (including 2 cars), over the next two years. If we wanted to, we could lower all our payments and have much more left over each pay period. We also have quite a bit of cash in savings, which we don't touch but could if need be.

So...I voted for the second one. Even though we almost run out of spending $$, it's because we've chosen to only spend a small amount.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:06 PM

412 posts, read 1,229,152 times
I am just now getting to a point in which I have a small savings for emergencies. It's definitely not 6 months of living expenses, but if my car breaks down I can pay for the repairs.

I only get paid once a month. I pay all of my bills at the beginning of the month and try to be careful with my money for the rest of the month. There are many times in which I only have $5 in checking right before payday, but at least I have a "cushion" in savings if I really need it.

The biggest thing that got me out of "living paycheck to paycheck" was paying down debts. To pay down the debts I have had to take on 2nd jobs and overtime over the last few years.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:22 PM

756 posts, read 2,218,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
Yep we do and its my wife's fault
I just have to give you rep for the laugh you gave me!

That is exactly what my hubby would say (and it's true)!!!

We recently moved to southern CT, one of the most expensive places to live in the country and currently, we are living paycheck to paycheck. Never before have we done this and it is very scary for me. The only exception is we do contribute to our IRA's and the kids college accounts. However, the amounts we contribute are nowhere near where they should be.

Paycheck is 2x month and no, rarely is there anything left. We have very little debt (other than mortgage), credit card is almost paid off, we drive old cars that are also paid off.

We are working on an emergency fund but at the rate we are going, it will be years before it is worth much!

We know what needs to be done, we just keep doing the best we can!

Old 04-03-2009, 03:25 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
We would have money in savings but we are working to pay off the $40,000 debt that we incurred when I took a stab at being a Real Estate Agent, so any spare cash goes towards that.

We are used to living on about 18K so the 34k I will make this year will be well spent on paying down that debt and moving us closer to being debt free. yay

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living