Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 08:12 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOs View Post
You’re misrepresenting frugal people; they’re responsible with most everything not just money. I only needed 2 tires last year but after weighing the situation I bought 4. I bought a new car battery before last winter arrived.

I almost always wait for sales; especially car parts because replacing cheaply now is smarter than replacing expensively later! Lastly, the sooner I replace car parts the odds are good that I’ll get my money’s worth by using them longer—I rarely replace the same parts twice.
Yes, the ability to forecast a need is a key to saving money in the long run instead of letting the need hit you unprepared when it will always cost more than it should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 09:45 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
You can be frugal without calling attention to yourself. Just a silent witness to frugal living. But as I say, don't take advantage of others to the point that they feel used, just because you're being cheap.
People dislike "frugal" people who live at their expense.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
What?

Old 05-06-2010, 10:39 AM

78,376 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Every wonder why the public dislikes those that are courageous enough break ranks with the norm to become frugal in the purest sense?? These people are called.....scanvengers, skinflints, cheapskates and a whole host of other demeaning names because, IMO, they pose a thread to the paradigm of the norms thinking.

They alone fly in the face of what we are taught as consumers. If the truth were known we, the public, are envious of these people for avoiding the expense we wish we could with a life style that is considered repugnant to many.
There is a huge huge difference between frugal and a cheapskate.
Crossing certain lines and HOW you communicate can be rude.
Here are some examples where the line is or isn't crossed.

My friends sister (they both make >100k) bought a mothers day gift for their mom that came out to an amount like $100.50. He gave her the $50 and didnt have any change on him. She pitched a fit over the quarter.

You bought some salmon but were unable to cook it right away and it's now 2 days past expiration and "questionable".
1) You cook it and eat it yourself.
2) You serve it to guests not telling them.

Refusing to shower, use deodorant or wash clothes? I saw a guy in the grocery store the other day completely homeless looking wearing one shoe and stained clothes...then he drove off. I could smell him from 2 aisles away. Lack of basic hygene can indicate mental issues and can be bad enough to make you want to hurl too.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:41 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Yes, there is a fine line between being frugal and being a leach.

I quickly learned who the leaches were in my younger days when I went up to a rural bar on Saturday night.

Also, many frugal farmers would never stop in a bar for a drink.
However, they would get plastered at a wedding when the drinks were free.

As I said, a thin line between a leach and someone who is frugal .

Old 05-06-2010, 10:50 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
On the flip side, I had a farmer neighbor who was very frugal.

I was at the bank one afternoon and both of us were leaving.
He said he was heading to the hardware store where you could pay your electric bill

I stated I mailed mine.

He said----" whaaaat"--in a loud voice and grabbed my shoulder as he explained it was 2 cents cheaper to pay it at the hardware store ( 5 cents fee) than buying a 7 cents stamp.

However, he was a very good farmer and a good neighbor and honest as the day was long.

When you did any transaction with him, if you owed 2 cents, he wanted it
But, if he owed you 2cents , he saw to it you got paid.

A good man. He chewed a little snuff, had a shot of brandy every night and lived til 92.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:52 AM

78,376 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I admire frugal people. The problem is that the definition isn't used consistently.

My fil, continued to drive a car with no working seat belts to be "frugal". We nagged at him until he got a replacement car with working seatbelts....which saved his life about a month later when he was hit by another car.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:38 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I admire frugal people. The problem is that the definition isn't used consistently.

My fil, continued to drive a car with no working seat belts to be "frugal". We nagged at him until he got a replacement car with working seatbelts....which saved his life about a month later when he was hit by another car.
When people learn to live frugally, that's great. But there are certainly lines to draw. Any sane person wouldn't jeopardize their life just to save a few dollars.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:11 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Every wonder why the public dislikes those that are courageous enough break ranks with the norm to become frugal in the purest sense?? These people are called.....scanvengers, skinflints, cheapskates and a whole host of other demeaning names because, IMO, they pose a thread to the paradigm of the norms thinking.

They alone fly in the face of what we are taught as consumers. If the truth were known we, the public, are envious of these people for avoiding the expense we wish we could with a life style that is considered repugnant to many.
There's no paradigm. We are not taught to consume consume consume.

And it doesn't take courage to live below your means. It doesn't take courage to save money, although this past week it sure has taken some courage to stay in the stock market!

It does take some sense.

No one has ever called me a skinflint or a cheapskate. Because there's far more to miserly than money. A miser is usually miserly in all things, and wealthy only in one -- money. Look at the famous character Ebenezer Scrooge. What a miserable person he was!

I am generous with my time, and I care about people, and they know it. And they all know I watch my money carefully, and it doesn't matter.

So if your friends and relatives are calling you these degrading names, look into yourself. When all you bring to the table in a relationship is cash, that's all they will care about. But in my experience, when you give of yourself the cash thing falls away, because you are who they really want.

But in fair disclosure -- my ex-best friend called me a money grubbing female dog once, but due to the fact she was a blood sucking leech, I froze her out of my life and she was angry about it. So she doesn't count.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
There's no paradigm. We are not taught to consume consume consume.
Allow me to politely disagree. In todays modern world all are constantly bombarded with Buy, Buy, Buy to the point that shopping IS a consumer sport.

If anyone disagrees then try to go a single day without at least one small though about buying this or that. It's tough and many resist the temptation but they are the few.

Consumer propaganda is everywhere..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living