Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 03:28 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times

Advertisements

I agree about the brainwashing/conditioning. The sad fact is that most people really don't think. We have a relatively small number of thinkers in society who set the tone for nearly everybody else. It's sort of scary to behold, and it cuts across many behaviors other than just spending.

People fail to realize that by overspending, they reach the point where their possessions own them, rather than the other way around. They're forced to make all sort of sacrifices and compromises in their lives to pay the debt they've incurred to hold onto their possessions. Any rational cost/benefit analysis would determine a lot of these spending decisions to be insane.

I'm not a particularly thrifty person, but I live well below my means. I'm probably not like a lot of the people who post in this sub-forum in that I'm not truly a minimalist when it comes to spending. But I think that people who don't live within their means pay a terrible price at some point. So do societies. I fear for our society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 03:55 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
People fail to realize that by overspending, they reach the point where their possessions own them, rather than the other way around. They're forced to make all sort of sacrifices and compromises in their lives to pay the debt they've incurred to hold onto their possessions. Any rational cost/benefit analysis would determine a lot of these spending decisions to be insane.

I'm not a particularly thrifty person, but I live well below my means. I'm probably not like a lot of the people who post in this sub-forum in that I'm not truly a minimalist when it comes to spending. But I think that people who don't live within their means pay a terrible price at some point. So do societies. I fear for our society.

My wife is looking to purchase a couple of foreclosures to fix up to resell. She has a little time on her hands and wants to generate a little extra income.

Going through all of these foreclosures, I am surprised at the number of toys a lot of these people have ... even when they cannot pay the bills/

Old 05-16-2010, 04:00 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
My wife is looking to purchase a couple of foreclosures to fix up to resell. She has a little time on her hands and wants to generate a little extra income.

Going through all of these foreclosures, I am surprised at the number of toys a lot of these people have ... even when they cannot pay the bills/
That's not surprising at all. The mentality behind spending all that money on toys is probably a big part of why they can't pay their bills. We have this mentality in this country that it's OK to spend money on luxuries, while stiffing people for the cost of necessities. Like the person on food stamps who has a fancy cellphone. It happens at all levels.

Good luck to your wife with her business venture. There's probably a decent amount of money to be made in that, if you choose the property carefully and get it at the right price.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:30 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
But really there are *-holes out there with all shapes and sizes of interests, and it's best to just avoid them.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:17 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
IMHO, there is frugal and there is stingy. Stingy gives frugal a bad name.

Example: We live on about 30% of our income. The rest gets banked. No bills are carried monthly and we never spend for things we don't really need. When we go somewhere, we pay our way and never mooch off relatives or friends for a place to stay. I consider us to be frugal.

We have some very nice friends but the wife is what I consider flat out stingy. They have spent so much of their income for expensive items that when they travel, she calls to ask if when they come thru town, could they stay with us? So, rather than offending the (very nice) husband, you let them. You go to eat out , she grabs the check to tally her items by the penny and give it to you to pay, w/out any tip; I have learned to just grab it first and pay all of it and ask her for her amount... and I leave double the tax for a tip. (waitresses don't make a lot and it is humiliating to see her treat them like dirt). She buys pricey clothes, wears them with tags on and returns them. I could go on, but the point is made by saying this is a well-bred college educated woman and she is nicely fixed for money; she is simply cheap.

Cheap = stingy in my book, not frugal. I prefer being frugal.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:36 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
I don't agree with the OP. I think people generally have a lot of respect for those who can live within their means and live the frugal life.

I admire cheapskates. But what I don't like is someone digging through my garbage without my permission. We have a dumpster diver who frequents our trash and not only do they leave a huge mess when they leave, but we don't know if they are looking for food or if they are ID thieves or what? We've tried talking to them but they run off, so we get the feeling that they are up to no good when they do that. If they simply wanted a meal we would be happy to provide one, but they just run off.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:38 AM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,150,727 times
I think it's an understanding issue. First of the terms, frugal verse cheap. Second, how people do it. Most frugal people make meals at home from core items. Some people don't know how to do that, the best they can do is read the directions on the back of the box. (which is still cheaper than going out to eat) How do they plan their errands, to save gas and time? How do they find the time to cook from scratch? etc.. they just don't know how. Third, there is a group that don't understand why. Why would I wait for my new kitchen cubbards, when I could get an intrest free loan and have them now. If they never been in a "tough" spot, then they don't have the experience, or knowledge that tells you to stay out of it again. There isn't a whole lot of people left that have lived during the 30's to share those experiences and lessons. And fourth, they don't understand the joy that comes with having the cash to pay for things, the joy of having the cash to do what you want, the joy of having met a goal (having saved enough for that new flooring)

Overall, I don't find that people don't "like" us, sometimes people don't understand us, most I have found have been "accepting" though, just like I can accept they don't live my lifestyle.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:51 AM

720 posts, read 3,007,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Every wonder why the public dislikes those that are courageous enough break ranks with the norm to become frugal in the purest sense?? These people are called.....scanvengers, skinflints, cheapskates and a whole host of other demeaning names because, IMO, they pose a thread to the paradigm of the norms thinking.

They alone fly in the face of what we are taught as consumers. If the truth were known we, the public, are envious of these people for avoiding the expense we wish we could with a life style that is considered repugnant to many.
Dont get me wrong I'm not knocking you for being frugal or smart with your money as I'm on this board as well but often times it seems like people who are frugal look down on those who are not as wasteful, consumer too much, etc. Baiscally many frugal people look at people who are not the same way you accuse others as viewing you.

Also people who are frugal often tend to ramble on and on and brag about how saavy they are with their money, etc. Really other people dont care much.

If you kept it to yourself people probably woudn't say much but I imagine telling people how frugal you are just annoys them.

Also, again like I said to each their own but in my opinoin washing paperplates, ziplock bags, etc is a little ridiculous, seems like a waste of time and neurotic. I'll pay the $2 for the no name box of 500 sandwich bags over spending money on water and lot sof my valuable time washing sandwich bags

Old 09-08-2010, 10:18 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
Dont get me wrong I'm not knocking you for being frugal or smart with your money as I'm on this board as well but often times it seems like people who are frugal look down on those who are not as wasteful, consumer too much, etc. Baiscally many frugal people look at people who are not the same way you accuse others as viewing you.

Also people who are frugal often tend to ramble on and on and brag about how saavy they are with their money, etc. Really other people dont care much.

If you kept it to yourself people probably woudn't say much but I imagine telling people how frugal you are just annoys them.

Also, again like I said to each their own but in my opinoin washing paperplates, ziplock bags, etc is a little ridiculous, seems like a waste of time and neurotic. I'll pay the $2 for the no name box of 500 sandwich bags over spending money on water and lot sof my valuable time washing sandwich bags
Why is it always bag washing that sends people over the edge?

I bought a large combo 4 box pack of freezer gallon bags at Costco several years back -- I think I just opened the third box now. Does washing bags save me money in the long run?

Not as much as buying good containers that I can reuse forever.

But I do agree. Frugalistas that look down upon the non-frugal are just as much to blame for being cast out as pariahs.

If you keep your nose out of everyone else's business, people won't care...

Old 09-08-2010, 11:47 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Because the frugal are not the best customers. They are always trying to get the best deal or discounted. Some products or services they will not buy at all. Vacation timeshares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living