Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 10:36 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times

Advertisements

I jinxed myself this morning. I commented that I wondered when my first snake encounter of the spring would be. Of course, I walked outside to do some light gardening in the landscaping beds and encountered my first snake under the porch.

The snakes in my area are non-poisonous, but they can be large! (3-5 feet in length or more). I know they will be near the house this time of year, but I really hate being startled by them. They scare me.

So, there are snake repellants available, prevention methods, some "natural" remedies like marigolds. What has worked for you?

BTW--not much we can do as far as prevention. The small porch area where I encountered one today is clear of brush, weeds, etc. The only solution would be to pull it out and install concrete. That's not going to happen. They also like a few other areas near the house and near the shrubs, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 11:07 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,604,049 times
I don't mind the garter snakes except for their unexpected slithering - creeps me out. Eeewww!

I have no useful information on how to deter them. I always hope they'll slither on over to the neighbors' yards.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:55 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,787,041 times
There are a several ways to repel snakes around your home or farm.

Moth balls and sulfur are proven deterrents but can be harmful to domestic animals and pets.

For smaller areas soak a towel or old tee shirt in cinnamon oil or other essential oil and place it in an area known to be frequented by snakes.

Spreading a thin layer of cat litter over a large area is effective because the litter granules become embedded in the snake's scales.

Mice are a main attraction for snakes so having cats patrolling your yard and controlling the rodent population is a very good way to keep snakes away.

Finally, there are several over the counter repellents, such as Liquid Fence Snake Repellent (Liquid Fence Animal Repellents: Liquid & Granular Snake Repellents).

These products work very well and are earth and family friendly.

Home Remedy Snake Repellent | Reference.com Answers

Old 04-27-2014, 12:15 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
The only way to get rid of snakes is to remove all food sources for them. They won't hang out at your place if there is nothing to eat.

Personally, I like having the snakes around specifically because they eat any mice who make the mistake of showing their pointy little noses in public.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:30 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,737,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The only way to get rid of snakes is to remove all food sources for them. They won't hang out at your place if there is nothing to eat.

Personally, I like having the snakes around specifically because they eat any mice who make the mistake of showing their pointy little noses in public.
This.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:35 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Repeat after me: Snakes are good for your garden.

Leave them alone.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:45 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,605,228 times
^^^ +1...
Unless one is phobic about them, let them be: great mousers, eat voles, et al.
They could care less about us.
Good creatures around one's garden, imo.
GL, mD

Old 04-27-2014, 02:05 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,944,637 times
Get rid of the snakes and your future posts will be how do you get rid of moles, gophers, mice and rats.

A garden without snakes means something is very wrong unless they aren't part of the normal environment in the area.

When things on the ground leave, that means the ground is no longer healthy and you ought to think twice about eating anything that comes from it.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 7,904 times
Sulfur worked for us.
How to Buy Sulfur to Get Rid of Snakes | eHow
Then when we moved and got a pet we stopped using it. (as mentioned it can be harmful to your pets)

Old 04-27-2014, 02:17 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,069,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I jinxed myself this morning. I commented that I wondered when my first snake encounter of the spring would be. Of course, I walked outside to do some light gardening in the landscaping beds and encountered my first snake under the porch.

The snakes in my area are non-poisonous, but they can be large! (3-5 feet in length or more). I know they will be near the house this time of year, but I really hate being startled by them. They scare me.

So, there are snake repellants available, prevention methods, some "natural" remedies like marigolds. What has worked for you?

BTW--not much we can do as far as prevention. The small porch area where I encountered one today is clear of brush, weeds, etc. The only solution would be to pull it out and install concrete. That's not going to happen. They also like a few other areas near the house and near the shrubs, etc.
I will begin with the bad news. This time of year snakes are just now coming out of Hibernation. Snakes tend to hibernate in the same place, or close to it every year.

Looks like you have a critter that has made his winter home near you.

Good news is he will soon move onto his regular feeding area. Which will probably be Mice, frogs or toads this time of year. Unless he has a good food supply near your house he will stay gone until it is time to go back into hibernation.

In most most states Wildlife and fisheries will send some one out to catch and relocate unwanted snakes.

Give them a call, for Indiana their web site and phone numbers for various animal problems is HERE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden