Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 03:20 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,557,786 times

Advertisements

I didn't put down the preventer again this year (have seed down in a few spots, sprouting up now). But, knowing where I get it in the lawn, I have hit it with the DriveXLR8 once already to kill off any seeds of it. Spot treated once or twice last year, worked well. Going to shift the heavy seeding back to fall this year to give more time for germination before heat hits, and likely do pre-emerge next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 05:28 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,176,530 times
My lawn is established at this point and I always do my seeding if necessary which is simply over seeding after aerating, in the fall.

Given the cooler temperatures this year I put down my first application of Dimension in late March/early April I am looking to follow the second application in about two or three weeks.

My entire lawn is in full sun and I could not imagine going without an annual product like Dimension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I didn't put down the preventer again this year (have seed down in a few spots, sprouting up now). But, knowing where I get it in the lawn, I have hit it with the DriveXLR8 once already to kill off any seeds of it. Spot treated once or twice last year, worked well. Going to shift the heavy seeding back to fall this year to give more time for germination before heat hits, and likely do pre-emerge next year.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:03 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,017,461 times
Dare I attempt any sort of broadleaf weed killer/control on my front yard, that was only hydro-seeded last September? It's getting there, but that's still pretty new... It hasn't thickened to the point it can choke out the weeds by itself as of yet.

There's some Dandelions, and Thistle and such. I've been pulling them by hand so far.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:38 PM

Oh, You should definitely be fine at this time for a spot treating any Broad leaf weeds.

Assuming you put down starter fertilizer back in September when you seated have you put down another application of starter fertilizer since then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Dare I attempt any sort of broadleaf weed killer/control on my front yard, that was only hydro-seeded last September? It's getting there, but that's still pretty new... It hasn't thickened to the point it can choke out the weeds by itself as of yet.

There's some Dandelions, and Thistle and such. I've been pulling them by hand so far.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:52 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,017,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Oh, You should definitely be fine at this time for a spot treating any Broad leaf weeds.

Assuming you put down starter fertilizer back in September when you seated have you put down another application of starter fertilizer since then?
What's a good broad leaf SPOT treatment I can use? Something available at Lowes or Home Depot.

It's had fertilizer twice now. Once I used a Scotts brand nitrogen fertilizer just before Winter set in completely, and then the Milorganite several weeks ago.

Last edited by MikeBear; 05-15-2018 at 11:10 AM..

Old 05-15-2018, 11:55 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
What's a good broad leaf SPOT treatment I can use? Something available at Lowes or Home Depot.

It's had fertilizer twice now. Once I used a Scotts brand nitrogen fertilizer just before Winter set in completely, and then the Milorganite several weeks ago.

If you're looking to kill dandelions, I found that any broad leaf weedkiller works. I have a hard time getting rid of creeping charlie also know as ground ivy. I ordered three or four products online last summer based on recommendations here and other places. Some of it turned brown but most survived. I may have been using it at the wrong time of the year.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:42 PM

My recommendation for spot treating is Gordon Speed Zone Lawn Weed Killer, however you won’t find it as HD or Lowes.

At either of those locations I would go with Ortho Weed-B-Gon.

Quote:

Old 05-25-2022, 03:45 AM

Time to put down your second application of crabgrass control to last through rest of the summer.

Old 02-10-2023, 06:05 PM

So hard to believe, mid February but feeling like mid March.

Rising temperatures continue can only say one thing, get ready to put down your pre-emergent.

https://www.greencastonline.com/tools/soil-temperature

Old 02-10-2023, 06:25 PM

Definitely take the approach of sooner than later.

Better to be a degree or two below 50’ on average instead of above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden