Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 10:55 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,540,599 times

Advertisements

YES, YES, YES! to answer the OP's question, but it wasn't me, it was my DH when I wasn't around.

We had a lovely little corner of cedar trees at our cabin, lakeside. It was such a pretty area, almost a park-like setting with small shrubbery and darkness from the shade of the cedars.

Our cabin was just under construction, and I stayed at home preparing lunch for DH and the work crew. He cut some of the cedars down (called it thinning them out ) and de-limbed the other ones to just above head level (said we needed it for airflow to keep the mosquitoes down ) It looked stark and bare and I was none too happy that he'd done this without even mentioning his idea to me first. Like a lot of men, he was JUST too impatient to wait until I got there. grrr!

I had a perennial shade garden all planned in my mind for that area once I could get the time to put it in, and I could have cried when I saw what he'd done.

Some foliage has grown back in the area, but not nearly as pretty as it once was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 11:38 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,835,458 times
I've seen plenty of real estate advertising that boasts of tree shaded streets but I've never seen on that brags about barren wasteland.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:33 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,426,807 times
I regret cutting down the two silver maples that were planted by the street when the house was built 90 years ago, but I also didn't have any choice. Both were rotten through and were a danger to the house and the all-original garage. I still miss their magnificent foliage and how good they made the lot look though.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:16 PM

919 posts, read 848,122 times
I have no valuable insight, but the thread title reminded me of a Dad Joke I read recently:

"I have the power to cut down a tree just by looking at it. It's true. I saw it with my own eyes."

Old 02-13-2017, 04:36 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,551,463 times
We had a magnificent 100-year-old live oak next to our house, the upper branches of which leaned entirely over the roof. Before we bought the house we had two arborists (one from the county) assess the health of the tree. They both said it was hollow and a danger to the house. Reluctantly, we had it removed; broke my heart. Personally, I would never destroy a tree if I didn't have a very, very good reason to do so. Trees offer habitat and shelter for an incredible array of creatures.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:23 PM

4,855 posts, read 2,669,970 times
compost the leaves along with grass clippings and kitchen scraps..

Old 02-13-2017, 06:25 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,862,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybemoving13 View Post
Has anyone cut down a tree and then regretted it?
No... but I once sliced a tomato and it screamed very loudly. It scared the heck out of me.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:15 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,360 times
I feel your pain. I have several poplars. In the spring, they spit sticky stuff on mu deck, and as soon as this ends, they let out big white puffy worms, then the leaves start coming out and stinky green bugs love them! Meanwhile, they sprout under the ground and it is never possible to remove all this offspring. In the fall, the leaves turning ugly brown and fall on my desk with thuds, and all my backyard gets covered with these ugly leaves.
Cut them down before they exhaust you!
I pitied one tree I took down - it was a 25" in diameter, 40' high white spruce, grooving in 5' from the house and leaning towards my daughter bedroom. The tree was beautiful but dangerous. When they cut it, it was all light-colored inside, not a single brown spot, totally healthy, could probably stand for couple hundred years. I pitied the tree, but didn't regret taking it down.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:14 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,948,076 times
I don't gave any regrets, but my neighbor did when he cut down about a 60' eucalyptus tree...

And it pivoted and fell on his truck! Which was under the carport in his mobile home.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:16 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,114,992 times
Yes. I had 2 trees removed because they were close to house, but it ruined the scenery in the yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden