U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-14-2017, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Virginia
236 posts, read 134,177 times
Reputation: 77

Advertisements

I planted this rhodidenum last fall and it has looked fine until the last several weeks when it's been hot and dry here in Virginia.

There are growing yellow leave and some totally brown leaves. How would I know if the plant is dry or is it being underwatered?

I have been giving it about 2 1/2 gallons every two or threee days for the last week or so. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Rhodidenum issue!-img_5351.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2017, 10:20 AM
 
3,794 posts, read 1,919,916 times
Reputation: 9522
Rhododenrons usually need mulch to keep the rootball moist and cool. If the roots get dried out, it's hard to get the water into the plant. If the leaves are curling, it usually means that the plant isn't getting enough water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2017, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Virginia
236 posts, read 134,177 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Rhododenrons usually need mulch to keep the rootball moist and cool. If the roots get dried out, it's hard to get the water into the plant. If the leaves are curling, it usually means that the plant isn't getting enough water.
I do have the rootball covered with black mulch. Also, the leaves are not curling st all, but they are turning yellow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2017, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Olympia
111 posts, read 32,768 times
Reputation: 280
Check the soil by digging down a couple of inches. If the soil is dry, increase your watering to every day if it's hot there. Broadleaf evergreens get yellow leaves, my laurels get them occasionally, but are putting out lots of new growth and get copious amounts of water. Your rhodie looks like it's in full sun. They appreciate some shade when it gets hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2017, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
17,762 posts, read 21,600,727 times
Reputation: 19790
Default Care of rhodies

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/orn...ron-leaves.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2017, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Virginia
236 posts, read 134,177 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Check the soil by digging down a couple of inches. If the soil is dry, increase your watering to every day if it's hot there. Broadleaf evergreens get yellow leaves, my laurels get them occasionally, but are putting out lots of new growth and get copious amounts of water. Your rhodie looks like it's in full sun. They appreciate some shade when it gets hot.
Good suggestion with the soil and I will do what you've advised. The rhody is under a large tree and does get filtered shade. There is a rhody about 8 feet away on the other side of the large tree and it is doing fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2017, 06:28 PM
 
5,028 posts, read 5,253,163 times
Reputation: 4061
I have a personal thing about the black and red etc mulches. Anyone think they are a problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2017, 08:04 PM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
24,921 posts, read 42,265,348 times
Reputation: 21994
Rhodies don't like mulch close to the base. You should leave it 2-3" away. For yellowing, a good treatment is Epsom salts dissolved in water, 1 tablespoon to a gallon every couple of weeks until it greens up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:02 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
9,619 posts, read 8,171,833 times
Reputation: 6101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Rhodies don't like mulch close to the base. You should leave it 2-3" away. For yellowing, a good treatment is Epsom salts dissolved in water, 1 tablespoon to a gallon every couple of weeks until it greens up.
One of our issues where I live is the Rhododendron Borer: Rhododendron Borer — Department of Entomology — Penn State University. Do you have any problems with them on the West Coast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:53 AM
 
Location: Virginia
236 posts, read 134,177 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
I have a personal thing about the black and red etc mulches. Anyone think they are a problem?
Lately, I have been using a Lowes product called Clay Breaker with Gypsum. It claims the gypsum softens up clay soil adds nutrients and can be used as a mulch.

Are there any others out there who use this product and can testify as to its benefits??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top