Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 03:58 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times

Advertisements

I actually went so far as to buy a mosquito netting suit via Amazon so that I can work in the yard in early mornings and evenings in the summer. It actually is great - I can see fine through it, and it isn't heavy. It's also strong and doesn't tear. It does itch a little bit, though. There's a top and bottom, and often I just wear the top (yes, with a shirt of some kind underneath ) and a long skirt, which is what I'm comfortable wearing. The top has me covered from top of the head to mid thigh, and the arms have drawstrings.

I look like a crazy person when I wear it, for sure! But I live in an epicenter for West Nile Virus and know two people who've gotten it, so I'm wearin' my suit!!! Minimal bites this year, mainly around my ankles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 01:16 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I actually went so far as to buy a mosquito netting suit via Amazon so that I can work in the yard in early mornings and evenings in the summer. It actually is great - I can see fine through it, and it isn't heavy. It's also strong and doesn't tear. It does itch a little bit, though. There's a top and bottom, and often I just wear the top (yes, with a shirt of some kind underneath ) and a long skirt, which is what I'm comfortable wearing. The top has me covered from top of the head to mid thigh, and the arms have drawstrings.

I look like a crazy person when I wear it, for sure! But I live in an epicenter for West Nile Virus and know two people who've gotten it, so I'm wearin' my suit!!! Minimal bites this year, mainly around my ankles.

Cool bug jacket. Is it the mesh that itches or is it at the seams where it itches? The advertisement says it has noseeum proof mesh. How fine is the mesh? Is it actually fine enough to keep noseeums and other really teeny tiny insects out?

Old 08-24-2017, 01:26 AM

6,148 posts, read 4,511,316 times
I think I might want that. I really want a one piece with feet and a hood and a mask, think spacesuit coverage. But good idea. Thanks for posting.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:36 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I actually went so far as to buy a mosquito netting suit...

I had a somewhat different version. Rather than being a fine polyester mesh that insects couldn't penetrate, the one that I had was made from a loosely-woven mesh made of an absorbent material. It came in a re-sealable plastic bag, along with a bottle of 100% DEET. One would saturate the jacket with the DEET and leave it in the sealed bag to let the DEET thoroughly disperse in the jacket material, then you could put it on, getting the repellency of the DEET without having to put it on your skin or clothing (at least on your upper body). It had a hood rather than a full-face covering, but the DEET worked well in keeping insects away from my face.

I lost it some time ago, and have never seen another one since.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:14 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,258,156 times
I think I have mentioned this before, but if any of you use homeopathy, Caladium 30C is like a miracle for me. I used to get horribly itchy, long-lasting welts from mosquito bites. And mosquitoes seem to love me. Now, as soon as I notice the bite(s), I take some Caladium and the itching and swelling quickly disappear. The next day I'll be thinking, didn't I get some mosquito bites yesterday? And when I look at the spots, I'll usually see either nothing or small welts that don't itch.

Agree that prevention is better than treatment, but if mosquito bites happen, I try to keep my misery to a minimum.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:38 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Cool bug jacket. Is it the mesh that itches or is it at the seams where it itches? The advertisement says it has noseeum proof mesh. How fine is the mesh? Is it actually fine enough to keep noseeums and other really teeny tiny insects out?.
I should say first that I find a lot of fabrics itchy, so I am probably extra sensitive (like the Princess and the Pea .) I find the whole suit a LITTLE BIT itchy, but tolerable. The mesh is extremely fine - nothing has gotten in so far - it really does seem to keep even the teeny ones out. If you click on the link in Amazon it will show you the pants, too, which are sold as a separate item. The pants have drawstrings at waist and ankles and work well too - I just have found that the long skirts I wear cover my legs sufficiently - I just have to remember to wear socks with my crocs.

If you all start wearing this funny looking thing too maybe we'll start a fashion trend!

Old 08-24-2017, 02:14 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I had a somewhat different version. Rather than being a fine polyester mesh that insects couldn't penetrate, the one that I had was made from a loosely-woven mesh made of an absorbent material. It came in a re-sealable plastic bag, along with a bottle of 100% DEET. One would saturate the jacket with the DEET and leave it in the sealed bag to let the DEET thoroughly disperse in the jacket material, then you could put it on, getting the repellency of the DEET without having to put it on your skin or clothing (at least on your upper body). It had a hood rather than a full-face covering, but the DEET worked well in keeping insects away from my face.

I lost it some time ago, and have never seen another one since.
They were called Jungle Jackets. I've owned several in the past and liked them because you didn't have to put the DEET on your skin, just the mesh. Never bothered with the pants....they would get snagged and torn in brush anyway. Haven't seen them for quite a while, maybe because those who had all the fears about higher concentrations of DEET have forced them off shelves. If you put the jacket on something plastic it might damage it.

Maybe the Ex Officio Buzz Off clothing outsold them. the mesh clothing was cooler to wear. One thing I hate about the Buzz Off clothes is the limited size range available. If you are big or tall you are automatically out of luck just like other clothing. I worked summers up in AK and wouldn't go outdoors without my Jungle Jacket. Just a dab of repellent on face or hands really kept them off everywhere. I don't like bug head nets as much because there is mesh over my face (tickles!) and I am usually using binoculars or a camera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden