Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 07:59 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
That is not strictly true. Sprays with lemon eucalyptus oil actually do better over the long term than sprays with DEET for mosquitoes. I think if you are talking about ticks, then high-level DEET is a necessity, but the OP is really only looking for mosquito repellant. Higher DEET tends to be more corrosive to plastic and certain fabrics and is also more irritating to the skin, so it may not be the best option for everyone.

There are anti-mosquito clothes or washes you can buy as well. For really bad areas, I have a hoodie that is lightweight. It is supposed to last about 10-20 washes. The wash you buy is supposed to last around 6 washes.
DEET has always worked best for me, even the lower concentrations. The trick is to find the "sweet spot" lowest concentration that repels. Plastic melting seems mostly a problem if it drips right on the item right when applying it. I have used the lemon eucalyptus oil but didn't find it all that effective. I wanted it to work but it just didn't seem to last. Clothing rubbed it off, light sweat diluted it, and the smell was almost enough to repel ME from myself.

The Bug Off treated clothing keeps them from biting or stinging through the fabric, but the bugs do tend to land on you or hover right in front of your face, so if that annoys you maybe won't be what you want. I keep the clothing in the bags they come in and I wash them as infrequently as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 09:37 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Ticks drink DEET for lunch, but it's a very effective mosquito repellent. Lemon eucalyptus oil works just as well. A top performing repellent contains both. That makes sense to me.

The best mosquito protection.

The treated clothing and wash contain permethrin which is an insecticide and not a repellent.
Go to a university study not a market study that is basically either advertising or someone pushing an agenda. Better yet, test them yourself. Eucalyptus works not at all. In fact, I was getting bit more than the people around me who had not yet put anything on.

Catnip oil actually works, but does not last that long. It is hard to find though.

Permethrin keeps ticks off of your clothing (kills them). It is also pretty toxic. There is a reason you do not spray Permethrin on your skin. You also become toxic to your bets. Avoid having them lick or chew on you if you are wearing treated clothing, especially cats. You can buy Permethrin for the purpose, and treat your clothing yourself. I have not decided whether I prefer to risk ticks, or wear toxic clothing so far I chose to risk ticks. So far, I have not been bitten by a tick recently. Some time ago I had one in me (two different occasions). Slitheing a mach blowing it out and touching it to their butt does not make them come out. Nor does coating them in a blob of vicks. I pulled them out with tweesers one and a tick removing tool the other time. On bath occasions, the head broke off and stayed in me. It was gone a day or two later. I do know from people around me getting bitten by ticks, they like to bite you where you skin is stretched tight, like under the waist band of your underwear or at the top of your socks. So, if you treat your clothing with Permethrin, do not forget your socks and underwear.

After reading as many university studies as I can find, and experimenting. If I have to be outside during the mosquito hour(s), I am slathered in DEET. I usually use the highest concentration I can get. (Higher concentrations do not work better, it works the same, but it lasts much longer). I have never had it have any impact on clothing or my skin. Smells bad through.

There seems to be some dispute whether DEET is at least marginally effective in repelling ticks. Less you want mosquitoes to eat you alive, you will be wearing DEET anyway. I wonder what live was like before DEET.

The key with ticks is to spot them and get them out of you asap. Then watch the site for red circles. If you get them get to a doctor who knows something about Lymes immediately. Do not wait, not even a day. Time is critical.

My sister got bit about 20 years ago and did not recognize the rings. She did not get treatment and now has incurable lymes. She never knows whether she will wake up in the morning and be more or less fine, wracked with pain and unable to walk, blind for a day or a few hours, unable to balance, or any number of other totally awful symptoms Not surprisingly, over 20 years, she has tried every remedy out there form scientific to crackpot. Some things reduce the attacks for a time. Some help reduce the severity (especially exercise). Nothing ends the disease.

Ticks are extremely heavy this year and they are being found in place that normally do not have an issue with ticks.

We went canoe camping one year and late in the morning at our campsite, found we were covered with ticks. None of the bit any of us, but they were crawling all over us. these were wood ticks not the deer ticks that spread lymes, still you do not want them biting you, they can still transmit other diseases. Not sure why none of them bit any of us. We were slathered in DEET, but is not supposed to do anything for ticks.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:47 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Coldjensens, no one can lure me away from my DEET. I don't care if the CDC likes oil of lemon eucalyptus or says it's just as effective. Years ago, at a friend's insistence, I tried Skin So Soft. It didn't work very well. When it hit the market, I tried Picaridin. I didn't think that worked as well as DEET, either. I'm not going to bother trying OLE.

I do use permethrin when I'm going to be in an area where I know or think I'll pick up ticks. I spray my shoes/boots, socks, and pants. If I'm going to be rubbing up against things, I spray my shirt. When I used only DEET, I alway found ticks on my clothes. Funny story... I was once was going to go for a walk in a state forest. A few yards down the trail, I went into the woods to look at something. I checked my pants legs for ticks, and there were at least 2 dozen! I ran back to the car, kicked off my shoes, and took my pants off. That's when I saw the woman walking slowly and staring at me.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:56 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
Gerania: Did you go home without the pants on? Or did you get the ticks off the pants? I would not have put those pants back on me for love or money !

Old 08-09-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Gerania: Did you go home without the pants on? Or did you get the ticks off the pants? I would not have put those pants back on me for love or money !
Officer, I can explain this... LOL I had taken a change of clothing. I would have driven home in my underwear. I'd already been treated for possible, probable Lyme Disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

I started taking a sticky lint roller on hikes.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:41 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
[quote=Gerania;49131853]Officer, I can explain this... LOL I had taken a change of clothing. I would have driven home in my underwear. I'd already been treated for possible, probable Lyme Disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

I started taking a sticky lint roller on hikes.[/QUOTE]

GREAT IDEA.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:06 AM

Seriously. I posted that on a hiking forum and they laughed at me. When a senior member (guy) posted that it was the thing to do.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:12 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Put Vicks Vapo Rub on your bites. May need several applications; works like nothing else I've tried!

Old 08-22-2017, 03:49 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Rubbing Alcohol works. Burns for a second but gives "temporary" relief.
Thanks for posting this OP...I actually logged in today to complain about the mosquitoes. They are SUPERBAD this year. At least where I live. Cambium I agree with the rubbing alcohol. I've gone through many bottles in the past few weeks. It may also kill germs, and keep the zika at bay, but I'm not sure.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:55 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,824,560 times
I tried the heat method posted by someone here... it works. I soak a small towel with small amount of water, microwave it for 15 sec or so. It is steaming hot. I put that on the red area - as hot as it takes but without burning the skin. Then I rub in itch lotion after the heating. It has been less itchy and swollen than without the heat treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden