Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 04:42 PM

30,429 posts, read 21,241,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
They will survive here, but they look stunted. They never reach the great size found further north.

Now pecans are another story, I've got some monsters over 100' tall.
My Aunt had many of them growing in Williston FL on her ranch. I used to see some tree's in Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 11:36 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,013,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Don't know why anyone would want black walnut trees....but
We have 6 surrounding our property, all over 175 years old. The walnuts and leaves drop on our deck and stain everything black. Then, there are the squirrels jumping around like rats 12 months/year. If you want to grow walnut trees, just throw some walnuts out there and let the squirrels plant them. Those nasty things carry them around and plant them all over the place. Every spring, we always have a whole yard of new walnut trees to pull up. I'm contemplating not planting tulip bulbs that I purchased. I just remembered, the last time I did that the squirrels dug up the bulbs and planted them across the street at the neighbor's house.
The struggle is real. The time was, people would ask for your extra walnuts, so that they could have some over the holidays, not anymore. Now they would rather pay for them already cracked and picked out.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:18 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Don't know why anyone would want black walnut trees....but
We have 6 surrounding our property, all over 175 years old. The walnuts and leaves drop on our deck and stain everything black. Then, there are the squirrels jumping around like rats 12 months/year. If you want to grow walnut trees, just throw some walnuts out there and let the squirrels plant them. Those nasty things carry them around and plant them all over the place. Every spring, we always have a whole yard of new walnut trees to pull up. I'm contemplating not planting tulip bulbs that I purchased. I just remembered, the last time I did that the squirrels dug up the bulbs and planted them across the street at the neighbor's house.

Take the tulip bulbs to your neighbour's house and leave them sitting in a pile on his lawn. The squirrels can steal them and bring them back across the street to your place and plant them for you on your own property.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:46 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I prefer to not have black Walnut trees. If you really want them, just put the seeds in the ground.

But seriously, if you want nut trees, why not plant real nut trees? Plant pecans, or English walnuts, or filberts, depending on your climate.

You can get pecan seedlings really cheap from one of the reforestation prograns... I think it is missouri, but it should come right up with Google. University reforestation programs all over the country offer really cheap seedlings of valuable varieties. There are many state reforestation programs and a Federal program that all offer cheap seedlings.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:56 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I prefer to not have black Walnut trees. If you really want them, just put the seeds in the ground.

But seriously, if you want nut trees, why not plant real nut trees? Plant pecans, or English walnuts, or filberts, depending on your climate.

You can get pecan seedlings really cheap from one of the reforestation prograns... I think it is missouri, but it should come right up with Google. University reforestation programs all over the country offer really cheap seedlings of valuable varieties. There are many state reforestation programs and a Federal program that all offer cheap seedlings.
Most seedling pecans will have nuts so small they're not even worth cracking. I have them everywhere... just like walnuts, the squirrels plant them all over the place.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:18 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Black Walnut trees are REALLY messy when they start spitting out that sticky juice all over everything underneath it. So don't plant any over your house or deck or something like that...
Ous do not do that. At least not that you notice.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:17 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,359,230 times
"Black Walnut trees are REALLY messy when they start spitting out that sticky juice all over everything"

That sticky juice is likely aphid excretions. My 80' pecan trees in Yuma were infested with aphids , and it was unpleasant to say the least....but not all trees would necessarily be affected.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 11-13-2017, 02:35 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

it's not nut trees that I want so much as black walnut trees, specifically. although a couple of English walnuts would be very nice to have...

i bought 2 tiny cold hardy pecan trees seven years ago. one i lost track of in the overgrowth, and the other is pretty much exactly the same size as it was when i put it in the ground in 2010. very weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Most seedling pecans will have nuts so small they're not even worth cracking. I have them everywhere... just like walnuts, the squirrels plant them all over the place.
how big would you say they are?

Old 11-14-2017, 01:03 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

how big would you say they are?
Some aren’t much larger than white oak acorns.

Old 11-26-2017, 02:09 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,256,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"Don't know why anyone would want black walnut trees....but"

This is one reason: a 22-inch diameter at breast height black walnut tree with one 8-foot veneer log may bring $510 (170 board feet x $3.00/ft), whereas a 26-inch DBH black walnut tree with one 8-foot veneer log may command $1300 (260 board feet x $5.00/ft). Not bad for a messy tree.

Granted, the OP will never realize the value of his efforts, but future generations will. Trees planted in a woodlot will be more valuable than those planted in a yard...why ? Yard trees are more apt to have nails, fence staples, bullets...these wreak havoc on veneer knives.

Plant your nuts, give your great grandkids some college tuition money.....they'll need it.

Regards
Gemstone1
Not only that, but black walnut will be even more valuable in the future as more and more large trees are harvested. As another thought, due to the deforestation of tropical hardwood forests, guitar makers (think Martin and Taylor) wil need huge quantities of substitute tone woods to replace mahogany and rosewood. There will be an incredible market for black walnut as it is already becoming a favorite of guitar builders.
I would love to be able to plant 10-20 acres of black walnut and leave it to the next generation to reap the benefits from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden