Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2022, 07:57 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Gas? No. Bar and chain oil? Yes, it sure seems that way with the chainsaws I've owned. A repairman said it was "normal" with my old Shindaiwa, no seals needed to be replaced. He said to just drain the oil out between uses. The damn thing leaks like a sieve.
^^^ Bada bing! Yep. I learned early on that chainsaws have a lot in common with babies. Put 'em on diapers if you don't want a mess. Feed them properly for best results, tune out the noise they make unless it sounds weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2022, 10:52 PM

257 posts, read 165,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
That's why I use ethonol-free gas in all my equipment, both 2-stroke and 4-stroke. Sites like this one can help you find gas in your area. https://www.pure-gas.org

That's cool, my outboard motor thanks you and the gas dock doesn't!

Old 12-15-2022, 11:14 PM

838 posts, read 2,523,908 times
Bought a small battery powered Stihl chainsaw about a year ago, probably used it about 3 times, great little saw. Noticed a few days ago that it's leaking bar oil... good grief!

Old 12-16-2022, 06:21 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipastore View Post
It seems most saws will leak from carb, air filter, fuel line, and fuel tank.
Nah...........the electric ones never do!

Before you laugh, the electric ones are awesome for smaller diameter jobs and even the batter powered ones are impressive.

The ethanol fuel eats all the seals.

Old 12-16-2022, 10:10 AM

25,558 posts, read 17,263,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Nah...........the electric ones never do!

Before you laugh, the electric ones are awesome for smaller diameter jobs and even the batter powered ones are impressive.

The ethanol fuel eats all the seals.
I've got a little 6-inch chainsaw that I just love! Wonderful for pruning this and that, up to a couple of inches.
Came with 2 batteries. Nah... it doesn't leak. Doesn't even require bar oil.

Old 12-16-2022, 11:19 AM

2,031 posts, read 1,652,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian65 View Post
Bought a small battery powered Stihl chainsaw about a year ago, probably used it about 3 times, great little saw. Noticed a few days ago that it's leaking bar oil... good grief!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I've got a little 6-inch chainsaw that I just love! Wonderful for pruning this and that, up to a couple of inches.
Came with 2 batteries. Nah... it doesn't leak. Doesn't even require bar oil.

No bar oil? Doesn't sound like it is meant for much. I got a Dewalt battery chainsaw and leaks bar oil all over the place if you set it down upright. I store it hanging from the handle, bar down, and it doesn't leak at all like that.

Old 12-16-2022, 12:50 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
No bar oil? Doesn't sound like it is meant for much. I got a Dewalt battery chainsaw and leaks bar oil all over the place if you set it down upright. I store it hanging from the handle, bar down, and it doesn't leak at all like that.
I have an electric too, a Ryobi pole mounted one, and it does require bar oil. No bar and chain are going to last very long without oil. I would check again to make sure.

Old 12-16-2022, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
It's not. Check out the link. It's a small one-handed 6 inch trimming saw, nothing more.

Old 12-16-2022, 03:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
It's not. Check out the link. It's a small one-handed 6 inch trimming saw, nothing more.
I read the link and watched the video, there is no chain oiler but you are expected to oil it manually. The video shows the guy oiling it with a squirt bottle.

Old 12-17-2022, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I read the link and watched the video, there is no chain oiler but you are expected to oil it manually. The video shows the guy oiling it with a squirt bottle.
Yeah. It ain't much of a chain saw, as far as chain saws go, but it sure is handy! Just take it down, pop a battery in and take care of that pesky limb or bush.
And seasonal trimming of crepe myrtles?......... Perfect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden