Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2023, 06:29 AM

5,886 posts, read 6,091,347 times

Advertisements

One bed of eggplants and one bed of peppers done at the new place, with some melons and cucumbers by the trellis.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2023, 07:35 PM

Sungolds are already starting to set fruit (all 3 plants), it's my first year growing them. My 3 other varieties are still only at the blooming stage for now.

Old 06-12-2023, 10:03 AM

Went back to the old house to pick some lettuce.

Bush zucchini is growing well too. Should start producing soon.

Old 06-12-2023, 10:34 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Memph, your garden is amazing.

Old 06-16-2023, 08:11 PM

Soil temp was 57F late this morning, 60F in the afternoon, 59F in the evening... Looking forward to summer beginning! :P

Old 06-17-2023, 09:42 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Soil temp was 57F late this morning, 60F in the afternoon, 59F in the evening... Looking forward to summer beginning! :P

Interesting pattern this month. Max temp here is the 3rd coldest on record, it hasnt hit mid 80s which it usually does a couple times at least.

Feels like Fall today

Old 06-17-2023, 09:50 AM

Went back to the old place on Thursday. Bush zucchini just had its first female flower - should be ready to pick the first fruit in a couple of days which is the earliest I'll have had zucchini in my 3 years of growing vegetables.

I attribute the earliness to both a new variety, and transplanting a larger than usual seedling at just the right time, since spring has been a bit cooler than in the other two years imo.

Squash is starting to take off too. This is the green Guatemalan variety.

Cucumbers should be starting to set fruit soon.

Peas are reaching 6-7ft high and starting to produce.

First little harvest of the season, the harvests should get heavier as we approach the end of the month.

Growing alpine strawberries as part-shade ground cover, I started getting the first fruits from those, mainly from the white variety. I think the red fruited variety gets eaten by chipmunks...

Walking onions doing their thing, I should have a large enough population base to start harvesting them soon.

Broccoli starting to form heads.

The vine with the heart shaped leaves growing among the strawberries is Caucasian Mountain Spinach (Hablitzia tamnoides), some sort of perennial leafy green that produces shoots that can be eaten in early spring (typically April), similar to asparagus. I haven't tried them yet, but maybe next year they'll be established enough.

Had some cilantro seedlings that managed to overwinter without cover, which are now going to seed. I'll use those seeds for a fall crop, or maybe for next spring. The spring sown cilantro is preparing to flower too.

Bush beans trying to shake off pest damage (slugs and rolly pollies?), as well as salsify (white and black) to the left going to flower.

Late spring/early summer flowers.

Old 06-17-2023, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Interesting pattern this month. Max temp here is the 3rd coldest on record, it hasnt hit mid 80s which it usually does a couple times at least.

Feels like Fall today
It's starting to get warm today, 70F currently. It's better than the 60s we were getting earlier. The month started out hot, June 1 & 2 both 86F, but it's been mild to cool otherwise, the 3rd warmest day was the 10th (78F), and 4th warmest was 74F on the 3rd.

It's supposed to warm into the high 70s to mid 80s going forward though which will be good for my figs, peppers, eggplants and tomatoes that are trying to grow fruit.

Average for the month so far has been 71F high and 50F low, but the historical average is only a high of 73F and low of 54F, so we could still hit that with the upcoming warmup.

Old 06-17-2023, 08:41 PM

In-ground soil temp hit 65F this afternoon at 2". We're getting there... I also have plants (peppers, figs, sweet potatoes) in black plastic containers. Those containers hit 85F this afternoon. That's one advantage of container gardens in the north, especially if your containers are black in colour...

Old 06-20-2023, 03:56 PM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
In-ground soil temp hit 65F this afternoon at 2". We're getting there... I also have plants (peppers, figs, sweet potatoes) in black plastic containers. Those containers hit 85F this afternoon. That's one advantage of container gardens in the north, especially if your containers are black in colour...
Slowly but surely. Don't worry, we'll have November and December to garden too. lol Summer pattern in Winter, Winter pattern in Summer

Yeah, the pots are doing well and definitely an advantage. Only issue I have with them is controlling the moisture. Sometimes they just stay too moist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden