Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2023, 09:48 PM

5,886 posts, read 6,091,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Slowly but surely. Don't worry, we'll have November and December to garden too. lol Summer pattern in Winter, Winter pattern in Summer

Yeah, the pots are doing well and definitely an advantage. Only issue I have with them is controlling the moisture. Sometimes they just stay too moist
I'm surprised, that hasn't been an issue for me. Do yours have drainage holes?

And average low for October where I moved to is 2C, so although a mid October first freeze would be nice (as opposed to late Sept/early Oct), it might be hard to keep things going into December here (unlike in Oakville where cold hardy crops could often stay in the ground until then).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2023, 04:39 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I'm surprised, that hasn't been an issue for me. Do yours have drainage holes?
Of course. When I say "sometimes" I mean during rainy humid patterns. Roots stay moist for long periods. Its not like the water keeps going deeper into the ground, the soil is contained.

Pots are great for warm/cool drought like patterns.

Old 06-21-2023, 11:02 PM

Picked a bit more peas at the old place. The direct sown peas, which are about 2x more numerous than the transplanted ones, are just about to start producing, so I should be getting bigger harvests very soon.

At the new place, tomatoes are growing well.

June 2

vs June 21

Tomatillos doing good too, I guess I should stop procrastinating and put the other 3 in the ground too. :P

The 3 potted ones had issues with the potting soil so they fell behind the currently in-ground one (at the time the in-ground one was also still in a pot), discoloured leaves, weak stems, etc so I put them in very large containers for them to recover since I hadn't yet moved (this was in mid-late May?). They've now recovered well enough that I can plant them though.

Also just found a lady beetle larvae eating a lady beetle pupa, didn't realize they were cannibals... Guess I should find new plants to move them onto.

Old 06-26-2023, 07:35 PM

These are my oldest fig trees, I planted them a year ago so they're on their second season now.

First fig starting to ripen. It's a Chicago Hardy, I think breba but I'm not 100% sure where the breba ends and main crop starts (the ones above it are definitely main crop though).

Moonflowers starting to bloom as well.

Old 06-27-2023, 10:34 PM

Finally planted the last things I needed to plant. These were tomatillos in 1 gal containers that got to be about 2 ft tall at transplant time. They seemed to be happy in their containers so I wasn't in a rush to transplant them and focused on other garden tasks instead.

Nice looking root balls.

This should be a better year than last for tomatillos, last year they were much smaller at this point in the season. Then again I have little expectation of being able to keep them alive until mid November like I did last year, so... we'll see how it goes.

Old 06-28-2023, 05:28 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Garden looks great!

We’ve had incredibly good success with tomatillos, so much so that we didn’t plant any this year. We have so many jars of salsa verde and frozen tomatillos we paused. I was skeptical when we first tried in this climate but bang if they didn’t take off.

Old 06-30-2023, 08:27 PM

First proper fig since starting the hobby today! Breba crop from a Chicago Hardy tree I got in 2022 and headstarted under grow light and in the greenhouse this spring.

There's 4 more breba figs on the same tree that should be ready over the next week or so. After that, I have two other trees with 4 brebas between the two of them, but I'm not sure how close they are, and then it will be onto main crop figs, probably in August?

Old 07-02-2023, 10:00 PM

Maypop passionflower survived the winter after all... Took it a hell of a long time to start growing though.

Overwintered bluecrown passionflowers are further ahead but still less than a foot tall, compared to the vines I root this winter that are now 5-6 ft tall. So it seems like even though both varieties can potentially overwinter in-ground in the mildest parts of Ontario, they'll grow better in containers that are brought inside.

Old 07-02-2023, 10:32 PM

Squash in Oakville taking off now.

Zucchini already getting powdery mildew, ugh.

Cucumber has lots of female flowers, but no cucumbers yet.

Bush beans are flowering heavily, might get pods in a week or two?

Lettuce is bolting.

Picked all the main heads on the broccoli after taking this picture, and starting to pick secondary heads too.

Old 07-03-2023, 05:39 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Quote:
Zucchini already getting powdery mildew, ugh.
Do you do anything for that? I'm sure there is some kind of spray you can make? I never did anything for powery mildew.

Quote:
Lettuce is bolting.
Odd to hear because mine hasn't. Hasn't been hot here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden