Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 11:29 PM

5,886 posts, read 6,091,347 times

Advertisements

Criola de Cocina

Stuffing Scotch Bonnet

Gypsy

Poblano

Sweet Black Hungarian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2023, 11:30 PM

Old 08-02-2023, 05:04 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Passionflowers are starting to bloom more abundantly now.

Even got a side by side of passiflora caerulea and incarnata.
Those flowers are interesting! Wow.

Nice pepper pics, that Orange Sweet looks like it would be hot.

I forgot what you said you did with the pepper harvests. Do you have a Dehydrator? or freeze them?

Old 08-02-2023, 06:12 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Between you and Cambium you could feed a ton with your yields. I am envious.

Old 08-02-2023, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Those flowers are interesting! Wow.

Nice pepper pics, that Orange Sweet looks like it would be hot.

I forgot what you said you did with the pepper harvests. Do you have a Dehydrator? or freeze them?
The dark green ones (mainly shi-shi-tos) have gone into stir fries, or in the case of pepperoncini, we pickled them, with four 1L (approx 1 quart) jars from this season already. The red, brown, light green and orange ones, which are sweet, we've been eaten raw for lunch, but maybe soon we'll have enough to roast and stir fry some of them as well. I've also used them in babaganouch. But if we really get a lot later in the season, maybe I'll have to dehydrate or freeze some. I actually already freeze the hot ones since it's hard to eat many of those at once, but the sweet ones haven't lasted last year. This year I'm growing 3x more though. The orange ones are fully sweet and heatless, and thick walled, like bell peppers.

Old 08-07-2023, 12:38 PM

Harvests so far this season (not including leaf and root vegetables which I haven't been weighing)

10.0 lbs of eggplants

4.8 lbs of cherry tomatoes
1.7 lbs of slicer tomatoes
(6.5 lbs tomatoes overall)

1.8 lbs of red/orange peppers
2.4 lbs of white peppers (means fruits aren't fully mature, but they are still sweeter than green peppers - examples of white peppers are banana, gypsy and hungarian peppers)
3.8 lbs of green peppers
(8.0 lbs peppers overall)

6.1 lbs of zucchini

5.4 lbs of cucumbers

1.4 lbs of green beans

3.3 lbs of peas

11.8 lbs of raspberries

1.2 lbs of alpine strawberries

0.6 lbs of figs

Slicer tomatoes are just getting started, so those numbers are about to explode. Green bean harvests are about to blow up too. Red peppers should pick up significantly as well over the next week.

Eggplants, zucchini, cucumbers and cherry tomatoes harvests should remain steady and substantial for now since the plants are still healthy and setting a lot of fruits.

Early season peas are basically done now, but fall peas should begin in a couple weeks. Alpine strawberries and raspberries are slowing down.

Okra, butternut and vegetable marrow squash should begin to be harvested soon, and continuing until first frost. Figs should begin in late August. Watermelon, sweet potatoes, yacon and tomatillo are going to be end of season only. Also got some volunteer pumpkins but they might've started growing too late.

Old 08-08-2023, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Harvests so far this season (not including leaf and root vegetables which I haven't been weighing)

10.0 lbs of eggplants

4.8 lbs of cherry tomatoes
1.7 lbs of slicer tomatoes
(6.5 lbs tomatoes overall)

1.8 lbs of red/orange peppers
2.4 lbs of white peppers (means fruits aren't fully mature, but they are still sweeter than green peppers - examples of white peppers are banana, gypsy and hungarian peppers)
3.8 lbs of green peppers
(8.0 lbs peppers overall)

6.1 lbs of zucchini

5.4 lbs of cucumbers

1.4 lbs of green beans

3.3 lbs of peas

11.8 lbs of raspberries

1.2 lbs of alpine strawberries

0.6 lbs of figs
WHA??????? I've met my stat match. Holy cow!! Looks like you're having a banner year from this.

Old 08-08-2023, 06:06 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
I am exhausted just thinking about what you have to do to preserve them. Congrats.

Old 08-08-2023, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I am exhausted just thinking about what you have to do to preserve them. Congrats.
I was exhausted just thinking about weighing each harvest. lol.

Old 08-08-2023, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Our family eats a lot of vegetables, so we haven't had to preserve that much yet. Just 4 quart jars of pickled pepperoncini peppers, although we might have to start giving away eggplants soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden