Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2023, 07:40 AM

5,886 posts, read 6,091,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Do you do anything for that? I'm sure there is some kind of spray you can make? I never did anything for powery mildew.

Odd to hear because mine hasn't. Hasn't been hot here
I've tried various spray for PM but they don't seem to work very well. I just try to prune the worst leaves and hope they outgrow it. Seems like the PM isn't as bad in my Centre Wellington garden as my Oakville one at least.

As for the lettuce, I think I might've planted them too close together and that caused them to bolt earlier? Even the ones a bit more spaced apart are getting ready to bolt though, so I think maybe the sandy soil makes them more prone to that? Is the soil sandy or clay in your part of CT?

Last edited by memph; 07-03-2023 at 08:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2023, 08:56 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I've tried various spray for PM but they don't seem to work very well. I just try to prune the worst leaves and hope they outgrow it. Seems like the PM isn't as bad in my Centre Wellington garden as my Oakville one at least.

As for the lettuce, I think I might've planted them too close together and that caused them to bolt earlier? Even the ones a bit more spaced apart are getting ready to bolt though, so I think maybe the sandy soil makes them more prone to that? Is the soil sandy or clay in your part of CT?
It's super clay here. Floods easy then when dry its like cement. But recently I did a soil test and they said I have sandy loam so I have no idea what to call it now.

Old 07-03-2023, 01:40 PM

Quote:
It's super clay here. Floods easy then when dry its like cement. But recently I did a soil test and they said I have sandy loam so I have no idea what to call it now.
Sandy loam and clay are two rather different things. But sandy loam should not be flooding when it rains...

Sandy loam is what I have in Oakville, based on my personal IDing, but also consistent with geological maps for the area. Very easy to work (unless it's full of roots), and crumbly. Pretty well draining too, it's only when there's heavy rains running off the road that wasn't graded properly that it will pool on my front lawn in a low point near the street.

Up in here Wellington County, it's clay. Don't know how it drains for sure yet since we haven't had any truly intense rainfalls here since I moved a month ago.

If you can roll the soil into a nice little round ball and it easily holds its shape like play-dough, then it's clay and I don't know what to say about whoever did your soil test... If it crumbles and falls apart when you try to shape it, then it's sand or sandy loam.

But your soil might not be uniform. In Oakville I had some clay layers about 1ft below the surface, like hardpan type clay. And also some parts of the garden were more sandy loam while others were more silt-clay loam, which I suspect might have to do with which part of the yard were natural soil and which part were backfilled soil from when the house was built. For the most part though, Oakville was sandy.

Old 07-03-2023, 09:11 PM

Excitedly watching my overwintered peppers growing nice and big.

Jimmy Nardello

Gypsy should be ready to pick soon since they're generally eaten when they're yellowish-light green

Holy Italian is starting to turn red (a marconi/italian sweet variety)

Chocolate Cake, there's 8 bell peppers on just one plant, and still early in the season

Roulette (heatless habanero)

Pepperoncini

Shepherd - this will probably be my top yielding plant, it's twice overwintered and has over 50 fruits on it

At the end of the season, I'll have to prune some of these a little differently to encourage a shorter bushier form. The plants I have close up shots on are not too bad but a few others are too top heavy/off-balance.

Old 07-05-2023, 10:03 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Ooh man I love pickled pepperoncini!!

Old 07-05-2023, 10:17 AM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,639,422 times
Quote:
Do you do anything for that? I'm sure there is some kind of spray you can make? I never did anything for powery mildew.

Odd to hear because mine hasn't. Hasn't been hot here
How can it not be hot there if it's in the 80s in Westchester...

Old 07-05-2023, 03:30 PM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB4 View Post
How can it not be hot there if it's in the 80s in Westchester...
I'm closer to the coast but still...
  • Cloudiest June since 1975
  • Only 5 days were above normal with the max temp at Bridgeport, CT. 21 were below normal.
  • NYC had 22 days below normal in June

So Lettuce didn't have a lot of heat to bolt. Now it will. 90s today.

Here's Westchester County, White Plains data for June. Pink dots are the Avg daily max temp, red bars are the actual max temps
Note, not a lot of 80s until end of month. Some days in the 60s and 70s. Felt like May.

Source: https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/si...h=06&year=2023

Old 07-05-2023, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I'm closer to the coast but still...
  • Cloudiest June since 1975
  • Only 5 days were above normal with the max temp at Bridgeport, CT. 21 were below normal.
  • NYC had 22 days below normal in June

So Lettuce didn't have a lot of heat to bolt. Now it will. 90s today.

Here's Westchester County, White Plains data for June. Pink dots are the Avg daily max temp, red bars are the actual max temps
Note, not a lot of 80s until end of month. Some days in the 60s and 70s. Felt like May.

Source: https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/si...h=06&year=2023
My neighbour's lettuce is bolting too here in Wellington Co, so it's not just Oakville and the sandy soil. Although maybe it's not as far along with the bolting process here as in Oakville. None of them are flowering yet, but they're definitely starting to shoot up.

Old 07-05-2023, 06:30 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post

My wife packs lettuce and bok Choi pretty tight. Generally they don’t bolt until it really heats up. Last year was an exception- it really wasn’t that hot but both bolted after one picking or 2 pickings. Weird how it goes sometimes.

Old 07-06-2023, 02:15 PM

All my new (non-overwintered peppers)

These are the largest plants that I planted first, they've already filled out their bed pretty well.

The tallest plants in that bed are almost 3ft tall, a baccatum variety called Aji Santa Cruz

They also contain a variety called Desert Cherry Rocoto, which are are pubescens variety, it will be my first time growing or even eating a pubescens pepper (grocery stores don't carry them) so I'm pretty excited. They have some rather unique features compared to typically peppers, they have a bit of fuzz on the leaves and stems (hence the species name), as well as purple flowers and black seeds. They're supposed to be very juicy and crunchy too, and fairly spicy.
These Targu Mures peppers are just starting to turn colour, they're a spicy chinense variety, but have a taller growing habit than most other chinense (similar height to baccatums).

First in-ground red pepper, a spicy little Time Bomb.

First over-wintered red pepper coming in at the same time, although more broadly speaking, the majority of the over-wintered peppers are bigger and closer to ripeness than the 2023 started plants. This little pepper is called Holy Italian. It's supposed to be a very large marconi type fruit, but it seems like the smallest fruit on the plant is the one that ripened first. The other fruits are still not huge though - I think potted plants often end up having smaller fruit than in-ground.

The plant that's loaded with round green peppers (rear centre-right) is a hybrid variety called Orange You Sweet. All of them grew really fast and are loaded with fruit for how young they are, but that one plant is particularly loaded.

Got a few peppers in black containers as well. We'll see if they outpace the ones in-ground thanks to warmer soil.

These ones are actually from cuttings rather than seeds, some are growing better than others, we'll see how they do after being in-ground for a few more weeks.

I have a few scattered among other beds too, these are at the front of a bush bean bed.

These are scattered among some lavender. Gotta use every sunny corner of the garden. :P

I also have a mystery volunteer coming up next to the cucumbers. Could be from the compost I put in there when I planted things out, or maybe it's from a fruit that dropped from the previous residents? They left behind some nursery plant tags of what they grew - red bell pepper, cayenne and banana. I'm hoping for a banana because the one I attempted to overwinter died and it turns out the seeds I collected from it in 2022 weren't viable (fruit wasn't ripe enough I guess).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden