Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2023, 02:21 PM

5,886 posts, read 6,091,347 times

Advertisements

I finished picking the brebas from the Hardy Chicago because a squirrel seems to have discovered them and ate 3/4 of the biggest, ripest one. Got 5 brebas averaging 20g each.

Next up might be a Florea fig that I started as a cutting this winter. It seems like it's decided to focus its energy into ripening that one fruit instead of growing into a bigger plant. That's alright though, I have other Florea cuttings that are focusing more on vegetative growth. This way I get to see how the Floreas taste soon.

The Neverella breba is starting to ripen too. Probably gonna be the biggest fruit of all the figs so far this season, but there's only one. (still not as big as the ones I'm hoping to get next year though)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2023, 10:21 AM

Update on the overwintered bluecrown passionflowers in Oakville (generally rated Hardiness Zone 7+).

June 5

July 8

They still haven't caught up to the cuttings I rooted in the winter and planted in containers - those are close to flowering. But maybe in late summer the in-ground ones will pull ahead thanks to a larger root system?

Maypop passionflower had its first bloom yesterday.

Squash plants (two in this photo) are getting big and starting to flower.

Some overwintered carrots. It's a bit tricky, they really do have to be very small heading into winter to avoid bolting in late spring. If they're small enough, it seems like the plant thinks that it's just going through a late spring cold snap rather than a whole winter? But these are in fact nice tasting carrots and non-woody, much bigger than my spring sown carrots at this stage.

More peas and the first green beans.

Neverella breba fig.

Olympia breba fig, a chipmunk took a couple bites out of it so I had to pick it even though it wasn't quite ripe yet. It tasted ok, but not great (the Neverella was great though).

Old 07-11-2023, 04:35 PM

My lab just smashed into one of my sweet pepper plants after getting excited by the neighbour's dog and knocked off all the fruits before they could ripen. Well I guess I'm roping off that part of the garden now.

Old 07-13-2023, 09:09 PM

Picked the first zucchini in Centre Wellington two days ago

and first zucchini in Oakville today, along with the first cucumbers and some alpine strawberries, peas, beans, carrots, green onions.

Old 07-15-2023, 08:50 AM

Picked some mulberries - these are technically not from the garden but from the local schoolyard (also a few alpine strawberries on top).

Also decided to up-pot my peppers from 2-5 gal containers to 5-9 gal containers.

This one is a pepperoncini.

Roulette pepper

Shepherd peppers
Biggest one

Smaller one

The shepherd peppers were a bit trickier to up-pot, they seemed more fragile so several green peppers fell off while I was handling them. The pepperoncini and roulette peppers which have smaller fruit were easier to handle. The other large fruited peppers I up-potted last week weren't as fragile either though (gypsy, holy italian and chocolate cake).

Old 07-16-2023, 09:23 AM

I decided to up-pot the figs too. These are the 2022 plants that were in 4-5 gal containers and have since been upgraded to 10-12 gal. Although they tolerate being rootbound more than peppers (maybe even appreciate it to some extent), I think this was the right call, especially for Violette de Bordeaux. I found someone selling used containers and bought forty 9-12 gal ones for $75 so time to start putting them to use...

Neverella

Olympian

Hardy Chicago

Violette de Bordeaux

Old 07-16-2023, 07:17 PM

First eggplants (Hansel) and cherry tomatoes (Sungold).

Plus some peppers that fell of the plant when I was up-potting it... There's 20x more still on the plants though so no big deal.

Old 07-17-2023, 10:00 PM

Update on the new fig varieties that I rooted this winter. Most of them (38/41) rooted successfully, and several have main crop figs on them already.

Top performing varieties so far include

Black Bethlehem (vigorous growth + lots of figs)

Florea (early to produce figs, even had a ripe main crop fig a week ago)

LSU Tiger (huge leaves already, plus good growth overall with early figs)

LSU Improved Celeste, the top performer overall with lots of figs and very vigorous growth

And Colosanti Red - no figs yet but it's the one with the most vigorous growth so next year should be good. Honorable mention to Val Rosso and Negronne too, they also have quite vigorous growth.

Old 07-18-2023, 02:47 PM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Update on the new fig varieties that I rooted this winter. Most of them (38/41) rooted successfully, and several have main crop figs on them already..

Seems like you're harvesting more than me! How?! lol

Awesome Figs in pots! You can sell those.

Old 07-18-2023, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Seems like you're harvesting more than me! How?! lol

Awesome Figs in pots! You can sell those.
I sold one Florea fig plant to a friend, since I had 4 plants of that variety, but I'm mostly going to keep them for now to see how they produce, and then maybe consider selling some after the second year. I've only harvested 8 figs for now, and probably won't get any more until late August now that the brebas have all been picked. Unless you were referring to harvests of other vegetables?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden