Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 10:23 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,683,630 times

Advertisements

I fight the hummingbirds off just about. Theyre all over the place here. I mix sugar water at a 4:1 ratio and refrigerate. They love the cool refreshing drink in this heat wave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 11:54 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Now this is more like it!

Bummer I bet they are coming in to feed later in the evening when less distraction.

I haven't seen one butterfly all summer now that you mentioned it! Just asked my daughter she hasn't either.

We sold our farm so we are town dwellers now seems the hummers here are longer than the ones we had out at the farm. Mostly females too.
I have a ton of butterflies. Gulf Fritilaries <sp>, monarchs earlier this season, and all sorts of swallowtails.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:57 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,122,390 times
Quote:
Wow I can't believe how quiet this thread has gotten! Nobody seeing hummers this summer? To hot none around or what?
We have our crew emptying the feeders almost daily here.
I thought the same thing... I checked here the other night to see if the thread was still "alive".
I've been refilling our feeders about every other day, 10 days ago it was every day. We've had dozens at our two feeders every morning and evening even after the Rufous(s) arrived last week. I put a 3rd feeder out and then realized there are two of them and I have no place to put a 4th feeder.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:55 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,184,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
I thought the same thing... I checked here the other night to see if the thread was still "alive".
I've been refilling our feeders about every other day, 10 days ago it was every day. We've had dozens at our two feeders every morning and evening even after the Rufous(s) arrived last week. I put a 3rd feeder out and then realized there are two of them and I have no place to put a 4th feeder.
We woke it up.

Any of you have the HummZinger Ultra Feeder? I'm thinking about ordering them the bees are attaching my red & yellow feeders like crazy. So much so we can't sit out front or we get stung.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:35 AM

I have one of those feeders Jaxson. I like it a lot and haven't had any bee problems.
I have a problem with woodpeckers pecking out the yellow flowers on my large Perky Pet feeder. The past few days have been a little better since the Rufous are guarding it. I've only had to replace 1 or 2 flowers a day instead of most of them.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:53 AM

5,296 posts, read 7,235,512 times
Quote:
We woke it up.

Any of you have the HummZinger Ultra Feeder? I'm thinking about ordering them the bees are attaching my red & yellow feeders like crazy. So much so we can't sit out front or we get stung.
Bees make a bee line for yellow, we found some feeders with white slots, made a world of difference.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:58 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
On the south side of my house I have planted butterfly and hummingbird friendly flowers, and I just saw a hummer on Sunday sticking it's little beak into the impossibly tiny flowers on a licorice mint.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:34 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,184,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
I have one of those feeders Jaxson. I like it a lot and haven't had any bee problems.
I have a problem with woodpeckers pecking out the yellow flowers on my large Perky Pet feeder. The past few days have been a little better since the Rufous are guarding it. I've only had to replace 1 or 2 flowers a day instead of most of them.
I'm going to order some it will be to late for this summer perhaps but next year I'll be ready. Where do you order the yellow replacement from ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz View Post
Bees make a bee line for yellow, we found some feeders with white slots, made a world of difference.
Yeah I know we've never had a problem at the farm with bees hitting on them but here in town they are back logged waiting their turns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
On the south side of my house I have planted butterfly and hummingbird friendly flowers, and I just saw a hummer on Sunday sticking it's little beak into the impossibly tiny flowers on a licorice mint.
Watched part of a show on PBS a few weeks ago about all the different types of hummers really interesting I hope I can catch it again to watch the whole thing. I don't even know the name of it.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:34 PM

Jaxson I've been able to buy the replacement flowers at our Ace Hardware. I'd bet Amazon has them...
Amazon.com: Perky Pet 202F 9 Piece Yellow Hummingbird Feeder Replacement Flowers: Home Improvement

I planted several hummingbird-attracting flowers but they all died due to the drought here. The potted flowers on our decks were destroyed by a hail storm we had 11 days ago and are just now coming back.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:03 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
Quote:
Wow I can't believe how quiet this thread has gotten! Nobody seeing hummers this summer? To hot none around or what?

We have our crew emptying the feeders almost daily here.
I have visitors every few minutes from dawn until dusk. I hardly have time to grab the feeders to clean and fill them up. When I do, usually one or two stop by and look perplexed.

Whenever it's cloudy outside, they hang out on my patio all day long.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden