Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 07:00 AM

515 posts, read 778,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Love it!! Are those flowers marigolds growing along the edge?
They're a mixed variety of Zinnias. Mom planted those every year for as long as I can remember. She saved her seed from the petals from one year to the next. Butterflies and bumble bees love them. I planted them around my garden from time to time but when the Goldfinches find them, they pick them clean. Oh well, it's all good. They're beautiful little birds and they have to eat too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Used to have an acre like this and boy do I miss it. Trouble is now the kids have kids and no cheap labor. Grand kids to far away to commandeer. I've taken another approach for fresh food. Have people that have land that are willing to share if I buy the seed and fertilizer and they have able young bodies. Home grown watermelons like we like on the way. Desert Kings along with cow horn okra.
Isn't it amazing how things have changed in just a couple generations. Out of my 6 brothers and 8 sisters, there's 9 of us that keep vegetable gardens. My daughters loved gardening when they were small, not so much when they got older. I have grand kids that love my garden and we have to go down and pick fresh veggies every time they visit. I think they're favorite thing to do is dig potatoes. To see the look on their faces when those big white kennebecs roll up out of the earth is priceless.
I don't think I've ever seen a Desert King watermelon. I'm guessing they're more for a dry climate and I'm wondering how they'd do here. I'll put that on my list for next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 11:41 AM

1,231 posts, read 1,387,665 times
Some big gardens on here! My tiny one is coming along nicely this year

Old 06-24-2013, 12:11 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humid Subtropical View Post
Great job I'd even be happy with that much space but don't have it now.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:10 PM

515 posts, read 778,365 times
Quote:
It's amazing what you can grow in a well planned and manicured raised bed. Looks great!

Old 06-24-2013, 04:13 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomersBoy View Post
They're a mixed variety of Zinnias. Mom planted those every year for as long as I can remember. She saved her seed from the petals from one year to the next. Butterflies and bumble bees love them. I planted them around my garden from time to time but when the Goldfinches find them, they pick them clean. Oh well, it's all good. They're beautiful little birds and they have to eat too...

Isn't it amazing how things have changed in just a couple generations. Out of my 6 brothers and 8 sisters, there's 9 of us that keep vegetable gardens. My daughters loved gardening when they were small, not so much when they got older. I have grand kids that love my garden and we have to go down and pick fresh veggies every time they visit. I think they're favorite thing to do is dig potatoes. To see the look on their faces when those big white kennebecs roll up out of the earth is priceless.
I don't think I've ever seen a Desert King watermelon. I'm guessing they're more for a dry climate and I'm wondering how they'd do here. I'll put that on my list for next year.
Desert Kings did well in MO. As long as you got a little sandy spot. Not sure how they'd do on clay type soil. I hate melons grown on really black dirt.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:05 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Quote:
Nice fence! Very neat garden.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:29 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
It's beautiful even though it's compact. Mine is even smaller and it's spread all over the place--some on the porch, some by the house. Yours is nice and neat and all in one place. Enjoy!

Old 06-25-2013, 06:10 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
I got some pepper plants, and just transplanted them into a flower bed. Hopefully they won't fry tomorrow. One of my peppers in the official nightshade bed is wilty. It has water. I'm not sure what is wrong with it, but I'm tempted to yank it up.

There are finally blossoms on a couple of the squash plants. I sure wish I'd remembered what they were. The free cukes I got have a baby, but the lemon cukes in the cuke/squash bed are still really small. I pulled some kale which may have been shading them, but I hope they start climbing soon, as I am antsy to eat them.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:10 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I got some pepper plants, and just transplanted them into a flower bed. Hopefully they won't fry tomorrow. One of my peppers in the official nightshade bed is wilty. It has water. I'm not sure what is wrong with it, but I'm tempted to yank it up.

There are finally blossoms on a couple of the squash plants. I sure wish I'd remembered what they were. The free cukes I got have a baby, but the lemon cukes in the cuke/squash bed are still really small. I pulled some kale which may have been shading them, but I hope they start climbing soon, as I am antsy to eat them.
In another nightshade veggie wilt disease looks like this one.

pepper wilt

Last edited by Nomadicus; 06-25-2013 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: Laptop keyboard :(

Old 06-25-2013, 07:39 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
My Japanese Eggplant is producing. We ate 3 eggplants yesterday picked on the same day and it has 3 more growing. Fresh eggplant is the best.

Also, the 2 yr old plum tree gave us the first plums today. They were small but sweet. I pinch off lots of its early fruit this Spring because I wanted it spends it energy to grow but left only a few. It is very satisfying eating the veggies & fruits freshly picked from your own back yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden