Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 08:52 PM

7,487 posts, read 7,156,393 times

Advertisements

Been following this tall fescue lawn care program for years now and it has provided me the best lawn on the block, even in the entire neighborhood. People are always asking me "How do you manage to get your lawn to look so good?" It really doesn't take much work, just the approach is what is important.

- Fertilize with Milorganite (organic approach to feed the soil as synthetic only feeds the plant)
- 1" of rain per week (all the same time instead of spread out over several days)
- Crabgrass preventer in the spring (Lesco Dimension with no fertilizer)
- Spot treat weeds as needed (hand spray)
- Cut tall fescue grasses 3-4" in height during the late spring/summer/early fall
- Aerate in early fall
- Make the most fertilizer applications in the fall

Apply Orgro to the lawn once a year for even better results.

THINK GREEN!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 10:25 AM

Forgot to mention in the OP, late June for grub control and various insects, apply Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer Granules.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:03 PM

Curious if anyone else is using Milorganite or this similar approach?

Old 02-27-2016, 12:47 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
I use Milorganite or Ironite if I want to green up the lawn for a special occasion (like 4th of July). I fertilize my bermudagrass with a 'real' fertilizer in ~May. I have a mulching mower so my monthly clippings provide about as much 'fertilizer' as Milorganite. BTW I don't use Milorganite on my veggie garden - it is safe for plants for human consumption, but it is unappealing to think of the source (no offense to the good-pooing people of Milwaukee).

Old 02-28-2016, 02:01 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
How did you manage to get the clouds to drop 1" of rain once a week? That seems like a lot of work in itself, let alone the other maintenance items.

Old 02-28-2016, 02:05 PM

That is the great part of the whole program as there's very little actual work involved in relation to the rewards that are returned.

As for the rainfall if the skies don't open up, meet the sprinkler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
How did you manage to get the clouds to drop 1" of rain once a week? That seems like a lot of work in itself, let alone the other maintenance items.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:10 PM

Do you use a May fertilizer with crabgrass preventer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
I use Milorganite or Ironite if I want to green up the lawn for a special occasion (like 4th of July). I fertilize my bermudagrass with a 'real' fertilizer in ~May. I have a mulching mower so my monthly clippings provide about as much 'fertilizer' as Milorganite. BTW I don't use Milorganite on my veggie garden - it is safe for plants for human consumption, but it is unappealing to think of the source (no offense to the good-pooing people of Milwaukee).

Old 02-29-2016, 08:42 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
Yes, sometimes if the weather timing is right, however I usually buy the fertilizer and pre-emerge separately. The Spring pre-emerge should be applied when the soil temp reaches ~50F (BTW I plan to apply Wed after it rains tomorrow). At those soil temps the bermudagrass is starting to wake up (~55F), but I don't like to apply fertilizer until after the risk of freezing is over (~April 15 here).

I also apply a Fall pre-emerge. I may or may not apply more fertilizer on the lawn - it depends on how the grass is doing, if I've reseeded, rainfall, etc.

I think I've been successful with my lawn if the neighborhood kids take their shoes off just to feel the grass on their feet

Old 03-01-2016, 07:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
The best lawn I have ever seen belonged to my next door neighbor years ago. He raised chickens in the back part of his lot.
When he cleaned up their coop, he would shovel it into 5 gallon buckets, about 6" deep, then fill with water and cover. After it aged well, he would place buckets of it around his lawn and run a hose into it to dilute and overflow it onto the grass. He never had weeds and a beautiful, deep green lawn, but for anyone within a block that day, the smell would bring you to your knees.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:05 AM

Yeah, unfortunately I don't think that approach would be an option in my case as I have no chickens but more importantly the odor and the process of dealing with it would would not be worthwhile.

Think I am going with Lesco's 15-0-0 with Dimension in a couple of weeks to prevent crabgrass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The best lawn I have ever seen belonged to my next door neighbor years ago. He raised chickens in the back part of his lot.
When he cleaned up their coop, he would shovel it into 5 gallon buckets, about 6" deep, then fill with water and cover. After it aged well, he would place buckets of it around his lawn and run a hose into it to dilute and overflow it onto the grass. He never had weeds and a beautiful, deep green lawn, but for anyone within a block that day, the smell would bring you to your knees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden