Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2013, 08:05 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

I wish it would stop raining so I could get out there and weed the garden. The weeds are almost as tall as the pepper plants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 08:05 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I'm not sure. I got them in a pack of "heirloom" fancy tomatoes from the grocery store. So, they may not be an F1 hybrid. I'll let you know when the fruit appears.
Then they should breed true unless a bee helped out by pollinating from another variety. Even another heirloom. Crossing heirlooms is the way to create new heirlooms that can be better or not good at all.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I wish it would stop raining so I could get out there and weed the garden. The weeds are almost as tall as the pepper plants.
I just decided to pretty much give the weeds up this year. I do go out each morning and pull a few, but I can't begin to keep them under control. We had so much rain in Apr, May and June.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:52 AM

126,279 posts, read 19,048,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I just decided to pretty much give the weeds up this year. I do go out each morning and pull a few, but I can't begin to keep them under control. We had so much rain in Apr, May and June.
I hear ya friend. We live in the suburbs and people try to manicure their lawns to perfection. Pesticides are thank goodness banned, but now we have more weeds to deal with. I remove all the dandelion with a knife as soon as I see them coming up ,but clover and other wild weed is growing. My back garden looks like a meadow ,only cut short every 2 weeks. I do so have lots of bees, bumble bees, butterflies, Hummingbirds and plenty of rabbits and birds visiting my flora and fauna

Old 07-10-2013, 10:07 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Why don't you put wet newspaper or mulch around your plants to keep the weeds down?

Old 07-10-2013, 10:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Why don't you put wet newspaper or mulch around your plants to keep the weeds down?
We have a lot of mulch and they are still awful this year. Usually, just before adding top soil and mulch in the spring I pull as many weeds as I can and I till some. This year there were just so many more than usual. I think I knew then we were in for trouble. I have to be honest I haven't gone the newspaper route. I have tried straw or hay, whatever. it worked better than anything I think, but that was 2 years ago when we had a horribly hot summer and lost most of our garden by this time.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:08 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We have a lot of mulch and they are still awful this year. Usually, just before adding top soil and mulch in the spring I pull as many weeds as I can and I till some. This year there were just so many more than usual. I think I knew then we were in for trouble. I have to be honest I haven't gone the newspaper route. I have tried straw or hay, whatever. it worked better than anything I think, but that was 2 years ago when we had a horribly hot summer and lost most of our garden by this time.
Oh yes you have to get rid of the weeds when you are readying the soil if not your garden is for not. I agree straw has worked best for me through the years but I'm a city dweller now so I couldn't use a whole bale even. Wet newspaper works great when you are first planting after you have the plants in the ground it helps keep weeds away from the start.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:22 PM

I miss the annual trip to the wheat fields for straw. 150 bales were stacked and covered over winter for spring mulching then tilled in for organic matter in the fall. Never use hay. Normally bales of hay are full of grass and weed seeds. We rarely had to pull a weed. Indentured kids pulled the few we had back then. We mulched about an acre. Asparagus to zucchini. The secondary benefit to using straw was we could manage to harvest when the clay soil was damp.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:11 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
I see my first lemon cucumber! There are tons of buds..so I think I am in for a deluge.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I see my first lemon cucumber! There are tons of buds..so I think I am in for a deluge.
Have you ever pickled any of those lemon cukes? Just wandering. Might be a winner making bread and butter pickles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden