Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2017, 02:09 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times

Advertisements

Finally coming to life. Such a short growing season here for these guys but I do end up picking some come October.

Good thing is: The house blocks the cold winter north winds
Bad thing is: Only gets like 4hrs of sun

May 16, 2017

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 07:04 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
4 red bell peppers, 4 yellow bell peppers, Lemon Boy tomatoes, Pear shaped yellow grape tomatoes, radishes, carrots & spaghetti squash. Whew all in containers we'll see how they do at least I'll have some fun tending to them.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:27 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Finally coming to life. Such a short growing season here for these guys but I do end up picking some come October.

May 16, 2017

Cambium, what are those things?

Northern Massachusetts here, has been very cold and wouldn't stop raining. Today was 70s so I transplanted my Black Cherry heirloom tomato seedlings into their own pots and found the huge containers I will eventually plant them in. I have a regular tomato plant too that will go into a container.

Tiny beets seem to have had their leaves cut in half when dh did the strimming in between rain storms. When I looked at them today most seem to have vanished. However a few are still there and never got thinned out(when I did the thinning in between rain storms.) Sometimes I have good luck re-planting the ones I thinned if I do it fast, water them immediately and it's late afternoon so they get a chance to rest from the sun. Makes me upset though because I put a little fence in front of them and cannot understand what the strimmer could have done to whack the leaves in half like that.

Anyway, I gathered up the dead grass from being strimmed and put it like straw around the strawberries that are starting to ripen. They're just in a hanging pot but I don't want them sitting on the soil to rot.

Planted nasturtium seeds out where there are vacant spaces in between flowers, also put geraniums outside for the first time this year. Got to keep everything watered--it's supposed to be over 90 on Thursday.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:17 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Hope they don't mind me answering generally - it's a fig tree. Would love to know variety!

Old 05-17-2017, 04:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Hope they don't mind me answering generally - it's a fig tree. Would love to know variety!
Whoops, forgot to mention it. Thanks Eldemila. Yes, its a Fig tree. One of my favorite fruits. I'm not sure what variety. Bought it 10 yrs ago in a small pot. I guess once it grows more we can find out?

Quote:
Northern Massachusetts here, has been very cold and wouldn't stop raining.

Yup.. here too. Seemed like a never-ending winter and more importantly no Spring. March was snowy and cold. April was warm but first half of May was Top 10 coldest... Do you know we only had 4 full days of sun since April 18th?????

We haven't had a sunny day with max temps staying in the 60s much. It's either hot 70s or cold 50s.

And now... 80s next 3 days. lol Love the warmth finally though, just not the humidity it comes with.

Quote:

Tiny beets seem to have had their leaves cut in half ........ Makes me upset though because I put a little fence in front of them and cannot understand what the strimmer could have done to whack the leaves in half like that.

It's Rabbits. They LOVEEEE Beet leaves. Love them.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:36 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
well I'm happy my black beauty squash has finally bloomed so hopefully I will have zuchinni soon . yes black beauty squash is zuchinni . I don't know how to spell it obviously LOL .my tomatoes are moving right along however black print is not doing so well maybe the heat I don't know we are getting temps here at 93and 94 .

Old 05-17-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I'm not an expert at identifying. These pics of mine are from 2014. Maybe you can tell which variety it is?

Old 05-17-2017, 11:30 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Thanks for the answer: figs. I never would have guessed. Never saw a real fig. I think I live too far north to be able to grow them. Cambium, you are in a warmer part of CT--do you keep that plant outside in winter or bring it inside?

But no, my beet-lets weren't eaten by a rabbit. It was done somehow by a male human who was strimming the grass. I have a little fence alongside the beets anyway and I live in (improved by me) sand at the beach. Never saw a rabbit here.

Now I have to go out in this heat and water what's left of them. I did love the long, cool springtime though. Finally I had baskets of pansies and they lasted, lettuce too. Now it's too hot, too soon.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Cambium, you are in a warmer part of CT--do you keep that plant outside in winter or bring it inside?

You make me sound so tropical. lol

Wanna see "warmer part of CT"? Click here. LOLOL

In Spring I am in the cooler side of CT. Inland gets hotter. In winter it gets too cold to keep anything outside unprotected here.

The Fig "tree" is in the ground. No bringing inside. If was in a pot, yes would have to.
Ground freezes and we get blasted with snow and cold where all plants must come inside.

People will cover fig trees with leaves, insulation, tarps, ect in hopes it makes it through a winter... Some actually bend it and bury them underground. I typically just cover the Fig tree and it survives..

They are so delicious! Wish growing season was longer just to have more of these!

We get freezes already in October & November.

Here is a time I had to protect my Lemon plant in October.

Quote:
Protecting the Lemon Plant with 4 big Lemons on there. This did very well through the freeze.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:

May 16, 2017

love figs: we had a fig tree when I was a little girl in So. California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden